Muskegon updates

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
lemscate
Railroadfan...fan

Muskegon updates

Unread post by lemscate »

Better late than never, right?

Nugent North transload has been shipping sand for about three weeks now. Started shipping about 6 cars/day for a couple weeks, but it looks like they're ramping up now, about a dozen cars up at the site, stashed on all legs of the wye. I haven't gotten up there while anything's moving or loading, so I don't know all the details. Both Nugents have been getting new CSX sand cars, built this October. Look just like the old ones, only cleaner (and with the CSX boxcar logo).

About a week ago, one of the Kiamachichichis was moved inside the Henry St. enginehouse. So, they're probably starting to work on it, which would be on schedule for getting one running early next year (the plan, last I heard).

Cannonball's been 30-40 cars recently, roughly 80% sand.

Ryan

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Muskegon updates

Unread post by AARR »

Looking forward to pics and video's of the new units :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

When is the old mine due to close? what is going to happen to the GTW yard and henry street Loco house when this happens?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

csx801 wrote:what is going to happen to the GTW yard and henry street Loco house when this happens?
No active customers left but they store cars and work on engines in yard
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

fremont turn catcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fremont turn catcher »

lemscate wrote:Better late than never, right?

Nugent North transload has been shipping sand for about three weeks now. Started shipping about 6 cars/day for a couple weeks, but it looks like they're ramping up now, about a dozen cars up at the site, stashed on all legs of the wye. I haven't gotten up there while anything's moving or loading, so I don't know all the details. Both Nugents have been getting new CSX sand cars, built this October. Look just like the old ones, only cleaner (and with the CSX boxcar logo).

About a week ago, one of the Kiamachichichis was moved inside the Henry St. enginehouse. So, they're probably starting to work on it, which would be on schedule for getting one running early next year (the plan, last I heard).

Cannonball's been 30-40 cars recently, roughly 80% sand.

Ryan
are they swiching the dalton twp site everyday?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

On a related note, Kiamichi 3801 has been working around Muskegon lately. This makes GR 3839, MMRR 3836, CFE 3885 and KRR 3801 the only active units on the MS. KRR 3803, 180 and 73 are stored OOS.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Wasn't MS 73 operating between Muskegon and Fremont a few months ago?
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:Wasn't MS 73 operating between Muskegon and Fremont a few months ago?
I had heard they were using it again around Muskegon, sounds like they blew it up again though.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:Wasn't MS 73 operating between Muskegon and Fremont a few months ago?
...a year ago...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

SD80MAC wrote:
I had heard they were using it again around Muskegon, sounds like they blew it up again though.
It is sitting in the Henry Street yard coupled to MS 180, hasn't moved in a year.....

Supposadly they will be removed from there soon and moved to ????
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

http://rail-videos.net/video/view.php?id=13615

Here is Kiamichi 3801 leaving Fremont last month. I like the horn.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

MQT3001 wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:
It is sitting in the Henry Street yard coupled to MS 180, hasn't moved in a year.....

Supposadly they will be removed from there soon and moved to ????
180 will likely be scrapped, cracked engine block and numerous other things wrong with it according to my source. Shame, they made it look all nice, too. 73 has something majorly wrong with it too, not sure if they'll try and get it fixed again or not.

barnstormer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by barnstormer »

lemscate wrote:Cannonball's been 30-40 cars recently, roughly 80% sand.

Ryan
For informational purposes only: The current train (for the Michigan Shore RR) that runs from Muskegon to Holland and back is not called the "Cannonball". That was reserved for the CSXT D727 train, which ran from Muskegon to Grand Rapids and back, working Holland both ways and several industries north. This was before CSX dropped the max. speed down from 40 mph to 25mph. Then it just putted along!

I know it's a convenient thing to call the MS train that name, but "if it doesn't fit, you musta quit"... :mrgreen:

But seriously; back some time ago, I quite often worked this train as a must-fill, either as Conductor or Brakeman, with Joe G. and Ted O.

I sure miss those days.... :(

-barny

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

any news on nugents lincoln facility? i still see sand cars stock piled on two of the 3 tracks in the ex GTW yard

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

csx801 wrote:any news on nugents lincoln facility? i still see sand cars stock piled on two of the 3 tracks in the ex GTW yard
Well, if the new facility is only putting out 6 cars a day, and the Holland Turn is routinely around 30-40 cars, Lincoln must still be pumping out 20+ a day...

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Mr. Tops wrote:
csx801 wrote:any news on nugents lincoln facility? i still see sand cars stock piled on two of the 3 tracks in the ex GTW yard
Well, if the new facility is only putting out 6 cars a day, and the Holland Turn is routinely around 30-40 cars, Lincoln must still be pumping out 20+ a day...

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Ben Higdon wrote:
Mr. Tops wrote:
Not trying to be condescending, but what answer would you suggest? It's a pretty obvious answer given what is reported here. I thought I answered with respect to the person asking the question. I could have been rude, condescending, etc, or I could say "ask a dumb question, get a dumb answer" but I did none of those things. I guess I better work on my "people skills" before I make someone cry because they misinterpreted my post.

I mean, is that not an acceptable answer? It may not be the full answer he was looking for, but it's he best I can offer. I guess next time someone asks a question I can help with, I won't answer, just in case it looks like my people skills are a bit jagged and my response gets misinterpreted. With Nugent's new facility putting out small numbers for now, its safe to say Lincoln will still be in the mix for a while putting out the decent number they currently are.
Last edited by Mr. Tops on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Mr. Tops wrote:I could have been rude, condescending, etc, or I could say "ask a dumb question, get a dumb answer" but I did none of those things. I guess I better work on my "people skills" before I make someone cry because they misinterpreted my post.
Tops is a mean mutha :lol:

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

AARR wrote:
Mr. Tops wrote:I could have been rude, condescending, etc, or I could say "ask a dumb question, get a dumb answer" but I did none of those things. I guess I better work on my "people skills" before I make someone cry because they misinterpreted my post.
Tops is a mean mutha :lol:
I can be and apparently my reputation precedes myself. :twisted: Even when I post civil answers I'm thrown in the dog house. I'm going to exercise my people skills and bite my tongue on this one before I do make someone cry. :lol:

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Railfannin' is some serious business, Bob. Lots of feelings to be hurt, too.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.