MQT Info

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

MQT Info

Unread post by GLC 392 »

What time has the 151 and the Blazer been running lately? I am planning a trip up next week if all goes well.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: MQT Info

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Seems like 151 must go on duty between 7 and 9 am in Baldwin, as they've been showing up in GR around noon on most days.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Ribbon Rail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ribbon Rail »

SD80MAC wrote:Seems like 151 must go on duty between 7 and 9 am in Baldwin, as they've been showing up in GR around noon on most days.
Oh wow, so they're running the GR Turn in daylight now? How long has that been ongoing?

I guess that means the Manistee Turn runs at night? Are both of the locals, Ludington & Manistee, both working during the day? What power do they all have now that some of the GMTX blues have been returned?

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

All of the leased GMTX (blue) rebuilt GP38-2s have been returned. In their place are MQT 2004-2008. All 5 units are ex-UP/GMTX GP38-2s. You can see photos of them here: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoList.aspx?id=MQT

Ribbon Rail
Railroadfan...fan

Mr. Tops wrote:All of the leased GMTX (blue) rebuilt GP38-2s have been returned. In their place are MQT 2004-2008. All 5 units are ex-UP/GMTX GP38-2s. You can see photos of them here: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoList.aspx?id=MQT
WOW, they did a rather classy job relettering some/all of them. I just took a peek at MQT #2004 and that's a rather eloquent lettering job that did on the hood!! Too bad with RA buying them out they'll never see the classy dip that GLLX #3001 is painted in, as was forecast last year. :(

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Ribbon Rail wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:Seems like 151 must go on duty between 7 and 9 am in Baldwin, as they've been showing up in GR around noon on most days.
Oh wow, so they're running the GR Turn in daylight now? How long has that been ongoing?

I guess that means the Manistee Turn runs at night? Are both of the locals, Ludington & Manistee, both working during the day? What power do they all have now that some of the GMTX blues have been returned?
Hmmm, I'd say they've been running the GR train during the day at least since December. Someone else will know the exact day.

Ribbon Rail
Railroadfan...fan

SD80MAC wrote:Hmmm, I'd say they've been running the GR train during the day at least since December. Someone else will know the exact day.
What days of the week are they slow or not running? I would like to get some shots of these new GP38-2's now that I know what they look like. Baldwin used to be a nice place to get some roster shots of power on their down days. Sunday used to be dead, but I haven't been up there in a while.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Seems they've been running to GR Sunday-Friday give or take a day or two in there.

Ribbon Rail
Railroadfan...fan

SD80MAC wrote:Seems they've been running to GR Sunday-Friday give or take a day or two in there.
How about the Ludington man? Is he working the same days, or even daily to switch OxyChem (former Dow)? What about the Manistee switcher, and is PCA still opened & getting cars in Filer City?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I have no idea about their operations north of Baldwin, sorry.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

FYI- Marquette Rail southbound arrives at Fuller Jct. around noon as mentioned above. They are crossing the Grand River bridge about 15 to 20 minutes later. They are usually northbound at Fuller Jct. 2 1/2 to 3 hours later.

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

Z151- 0700 Sunday to Friday
Turn- 1800 Sunday to Friday Baldwin to Manistee and Back
Ludington- 1100 Sunday to Friday Runs to Walhalla and back daily
Manistee- 0830 No Saturday or Thursday

Daylight interchange as of 1/2/12

Oxy is switched everyday Ludington works
PCA is still open, switched everyday Manistee works but Tuesday

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

Thanks for the Info guys, last question What are the scanner freq's?

Ribbon Rail
Railroadfan...fan

i995impalass wrote:Z151- 0700 Sunday to Friday

Thx for the schedule, it’ll make chasing something up there a lot easier, that’s an awful long drive to get skunked. Does the Ludington man usually run to Walhalla before or after switching Oxy?

How are they working these 6 day per week jobs out on the road train, that kinda surprised me, because I didn’t think the railroads were allowed to do that anymore? Gotta be 5 days, or they get 2 days off if they work 6, right? Is some kinda relief crew working the job on the 6th day even?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Ribbon Rail wrote:
i995impalass wrote:Z151- 0700 Sunday to Friday

Thx for the schedule, it’ll make chasing something up there a lot easier, that’s an awful long drive to get skunked. Does the Ludington man usually run to Walhalla before or after switching Oxy?

How are they working these 6 day per week jobs out on the road train, that kinda surprised me, because I didn’t think the railroads were allowed to do that anymore? Gotta be 5 days, or they get 2 days off if they work 6, right? Is some kinda relief crew working the job on the 6th day even?
The same crew doesn't take the train every day....

Brakey
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brakey »

If you work 6 consecutive calendar day starts = 48 hours off after tying up after the 6th start. A 7th start is possible if it starts from the Away from home terminal, which upon tie up, grants you 72 hours off.

Soon the rule is changing from a calendar day, to 24 hours after tie up. This is to prevent the carriers from abusing crews by holding them an extra hour or two to reset their starts.

Current example (personally experienced):

Sunday - Thursday, 2200 start time. Thursday = 5th start. Tie up 1000 Friday morning. Get called for 0130 Saturday morning road job (15.5 hours off) does not count as 6th start because although I worked for 10 hours on Friday, the job went on duty on Thursday, and I didn't have a start on Friday. Means I get Saturday night off and back to normal come Sunday.

Future way:

Sunday - Thursday, 2200 start time. Thursday = 5th start. Tie up 1000 Friday morning. Get called for 0130 Saturday morning road job (15.5 hours off), NOW counts as a 6th start, because I had tied up only 13.5 hours earlier. Tie up Saturday afternoon, get 48 hours off, and now they have to cover my Sunday night 2200 position.

Edited to 15.5 hours off, not 13.5 =D
Last edited by Brakey on Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Brakey wrote:Soon the rule is changing from a calendar day, to 24 hours after tie up. This is to prevent the carriers from abusing crews by holding them an extra hour or two to reset their starts.
Bout time! Our local pools are going to be royalled...um...yeah. Will have to add turns or everyone will be in federal requirement. UP has gotten pretty good at screwing us out of our earned rest! :evil:

Ribbon Rail
Railroadfan...fan

Mr. Tops wrote:Bout time! Our local pools are going to be royalled...um...yeah. Will have to add turns or everyone will be in federal requirement. UP has gotten pretty good at screwing us out of our earned rest! :evil:
Thanks Brakey, I did see a post somewhere about that new rule.

I agree Tops, and the unions really can’t say the Fed isn’t trying at this point. The Fed can’t do what the unions REALLY want, but I’m in the happy medium that agrees this is certainly a step in the right direction for you guys. Not only are they gonna have to add pools in some places, they’ll probably have to dig into those record profits & hire more folks, too!

Ribbon Rail
Railroadfan...fan

SD80MAC wrote:The same crew doesn't take the train every day....
Well, how exactly does that work out? There are specific rules in the Fed Register and those in the Hours of Service Act that say a crew must have a regular sign-up point. Now I know the MQT has had a number of visits from the Feds, which is also part of the reason I heard they sold out.

So, is everyone assigned the same schedule on a week-to-week basis? Or, is a crew expected to work wherever necessary between Baldwin, Ludington or Manistee? I can’t help but ask because I was involved in a legislative issue revolving the very misinterpretation of deadhead protections for employees. That being, if a crew lives in Baldwin, and works out of Baldwin 4 days of the week, but they have to go to Manistee to work on Day #5, it should be considered a service deadhead (of approximately 1 hour), unless they’re working that same rotation every week. Unless of course all crews are signing up at Baldwin at the beginning of their shift, and using a company vehicle to get to their power & train elsewhere, then the issue is moot.

Probably more politics than need be involved on a railfan forum, but it seems to be like someone running the show there is a little clueless or ignorant of these laws, based on what I’m reading.

Brakey
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brakey »

Ribbon Rail wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:The same crew doesn't take the train every day....
Well, how exactly does that work out? There are specific rules in the Fed Register and those in the Hours of Service Act that say a crew must have a regular sign-up point. Now I know the MQT has had a number of visits from the Feds, which is also part of the reason I heard they sold out.

So, is everyone assigned the same schedule on a week-to-week basis? Or, is a crew expected to work wherever necessary between Baldwin, Ludington or Manistee? I can’t help but ask because I was involved in a legislative issue revolving the very misinterpretation of deadhead protections for employees. That being, if a crew lives in Baldwin, and works out of Baldwin 4 days of the week, but they have to go to Manistee to work on Day #5, it should be considered a service deadhead (of approximately 1 hour), unless they’re working that same rotation every week. Unless of course all crews are signing up at Baldwin at the beginning of their shift, and using a company vehicle to get to their power & train elsewhere, then the issue is moot.

Probably more politics than need be involved on a railfan forum, but it seems to be like someone running the show there is a little clueless or ignorant of these laws, based on what I’m reading.
That is actually a good question. We have the same problem on the Elk to a certain extent of our on call weekends. My regular reporting point is Grand Rapids, so anytime I get called to go work a grain train and report in Kalamazoo, I am supposed to by law get an hour of drive time to Kalamazoo, and an hour of drive time back, meaning I can only work for 10 hours. But they seem to think that this "everyone shows as working out of Kalamazoo, so sorry!" Key word being, "shows."

/sigh