CSX locals between Plymouth and lansing

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CSX locals between Plymouth and lansing

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

The last times I seen D717 it was mostly Frames to CR North Yard. Did that stop? What plant did the frames go to?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

milineamtrak wrote:The last times I seen D717 it was mostly Frames to CR North Yard. Did that stop? What plant did the frames go to?
A plant in Warren (forget which one) and Wilmington, Delaware (now closed).

I think they have a new customer south of MI cause I see trucks with frames going that way but I dont have the foggiest idea who it is.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M&LS »

Yep I'm wrong, thought I might be. Lots of great information on here, thanks guys! Glad to know that the job based out of Lansing is still around, I thought that if they started running out of Plymouth, customers might get T'd-off seemed like a long way.
Was this "recalimation site" a factory tear down or a earth soil thing? Pardon my ignorance.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

AARR wrote:
milineamtrak wrote:The last times I seen D717 it was mostly Frames to CR North Yard. Did that stop? What plant did the frames go to?
A plant in Warren (forget which one) and Wilmington, Delaware (now closed).
Was probably something around Mound Yard. What was Wilimington, Delaware?
Last edited by ConrailDetr​oit on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

M&LS wrote:Yep I'm wrong, thought I might be. Lots of great information on here, thanks guys! Glad to know that the job based out of Lansing is still around, I thought that if they started running out of Plymouth, customers might get T'd-off seemed like a long way.
Was this "recalimation site" a factory tear down or a earth soil thing? Pardon my ignorance.
It might have been a trash dump. CSX was getting scrap paper and the local from Plymouth would switch it almost daily. But the business went away many years ago.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

The Chrysler plant in Delaware made the Dodge Durango, which closed in 2009. Assembly of Durangos is now at the Jefferson Avenue Plant in Detroit.

NoviRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NoviRailfan »

"Was this "recalimation site" a factory tear down or a earth soil thing? Pardon my ignorance."

If you look at Google or Bing maps, you can see a spur just west of where CSX crosses Napier Road, south of the big landfill on 6 Mile Road. That spur goes into a building that is south of the CSX main. Based on the description, it's likely a material recovery facility where recyclables are dropped off, separated and sorted and then shipped out to other facilities.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

NoviRailfan wrote:"Was this "recalimation site" a factory tear down or a earth soil thing? Pardon my ignorance."

If you look at Google or Bing maps, you can see a spur just west of where CSX crosses Napier Road, south of the big landfill on 6 Mile Road. That spur goes into a building that is south of the CSX main. Based on the description, it's likely a material recovery facility where recyclables are dropped off, separated and sorted and then shipped out to other facilities.
Out of all the years I have been out there and observed the local operations of Plymouth. I have never seen Y303 or D708/09 switch that spur and have never seen cars on it. I was wondering myself what the story was about that spur.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:
NoviRailfan wrote:"Was this "recalimation site" a factory tear down or a earth soil thing? Pardon my ignorance."

Out of all the years I have been out there and observed the local operations of Plymouth. I have never seen Y303 or D708/09 switch that spur and have never seen cars on it. I was wondering myself what the story was about that spur.
My memory is very poor about when rail service stopped but it was at least 10 years or more (probably more). They loaded 50' box cars when I saw it.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Is Tower the only frame maufacturer in the Detroit area? Reason why I ask is that I've seen Q243 go south by the house here in Perrysburg OH (CSX Toledo Sub) with frames on an occasional basis. It always seems to be a single car, so whatever vehicle it's for, it's obviously not a big volume item. I'm hoping as the days get longer I'll be able to get a look at one of the passing cars during the daylight to see if any of the tie-down equipment references a platform code (the Metalsa cars that carry the Ford Frames north from Elizabethtown KY have the Ford platform code painted on the tiedown that holds the frames to the car) to see what they're used on.

Another thing to keep in mind regarding truck vs. rail for frames, is that it may be preferable at the plant to receive smaller quantities - that are line sequenced, more frequently. Of course the freight car loads can (and probably are) be sequenced too, but if the plant is close enough and can more readily handle truckload I could see where it would be an advantage. For example, years ago Chrysler decided to have Toledo Jeep assemble Dodge Dakota pickups, the frames for those were delivered via rail - to the former NYC engine house in Stanley yard where a 3rd party took the frames off the rail cars, sequenced them and put them on flatbed semi's for the trip over to Toledo North.
AARR wrote:
TrainWatcher wrote:PCA and Tower are usually handeled by any of the yard jobs. Tower doesn't send out unit trains to my knowledge its only 1-2 cars maybe 3 at a time, but thats on occasion. Traffic on D717 to Rougemere then I don't know.
That is what I was afraid of. Towers spurs were usually full (10-15 cars) now I only see a few at a time. And I see trucks with frames leaving the plant. A truck holds maybe 20 while a flat car holds 80-100. How does trucking get this business from rail :?

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Mike, the frame empties you see on Q243 are not from Detroit, (atleast any of the Q243's I've seen and that's almost regularly). I know Q241/Q231 have a pick-up at Walbridge that allows them to add empty frame flats. Now Q233/Q234 have frame cars from the UP from Texas... loads in on Q234 and empties south on Q233. But I forget if they take the Branch, the B&O or the C&O... to Toledo, I want to say C&O as I recall seeing them turn north at Marion...

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Not questioning the empties, there's the occasional loaded car of frames on 243 southbound and I was trying to see what the orgin on those are. The empties do get picked up in Toledo (they come over from the CN who brings them down from Ford Rouge).
TrainWatcher wrote:Mike, the frame empties you see on Q243 are not from Detroit, (atleast any of the Q243's I've seen and that's almost regularly). I know Q241/Q231 have a pick-up at Walbridge that allows them to add empty frame flats. Now Q233/Q234 have frame cars from the UP from Texas... loads in on Q234 and empties south on Q233. But I forget if they take the Branch, the B&O or the C&O... to Toledo, I want to say C&O as I recall seeing them turn north at Marion...

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Exit stage left