Lansing Industrial Loco

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Lansing Industrial Loco

Unread post by GP9R »

AARR wrote:
GP9R wrote:The Center beams will as posted previously go to either Universal or Biewer behind the Meijer warehouse.
Thanks GP9R. I was wondering if there were still two lumber customers for CN in Lansing and you answered my question.

Would you happen to know what type(s) of lumber they get? Reason I ask is the handful of times per year I go by both places they always seem to have a lot of what I believe is called "fence posts" lumber. Do they get 2x's or plywood or anything else? Do they get box cars? Thank you!
Don, I can't really say that I know what kind of lumber they get. I have pulled a boxcar from the lumber yard behind the Lansing Yard

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

Anyone know where the Cory in Cory Yard came from?

algowest
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by algowest »

Just a thought:

Mike Cory
Senior Vice-President, Western Region

In April 2009, Mike Cory was appointed Senior Vice-President for Western Region, based in Edmonton, Alberta.

Mr. Cory started with CN in 1981 at the Symington Yard Diesel Shop in Winnipeg as a labourer. Over the years, he has held various operational positions, worked in Customer Service and Marketing, and served as Superintendent, General Superintendent, Director of Service Design and Network Operations Superintendent. In January 2006, he became General Manager of Operations for the Michigan sub Region. In September of 2006, Mr. Cory became Assistant Vice-President of Network Operations and then Vice-President of Operations for the Eastern Region in June 2007, until his promotion to Senior Vice-President, Eastern Region, in November 2008. .

Ribbon Rail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ribbon Rail »

SD80MAC wrote:
M&LS wrote:Didn't know GP9R's word was gospel... thought this was a discussion forum. sorry my mistake.
I think he was frustrated because he said "It's going to the BWL" and yet speculation continued on where the engine was going. GP9R delivered it to Lansing so I'd pretty take that as gospel. :mrgreen:
After reading it, speculation in his own post even! :D

re: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23606#p212072

"My info said BWL, not sure which plant its going to."

Kind of confusing to mention "which plant (of BWL)" being discussed when the original two locations being mentioned were the power plant and the auto yard early on.

Just busting cojones. Carry on.

M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M&LS »

Lil' Boy Blue is at Eckart (Grand river) plant. cab East, old black SW (796) is facing cab West. Not lash-up 796 doesn't look to be MU equipped , maybe temporary power, maybe 796 will be parts donor.

UncleRaul
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by UncleRaul »

Interesting, since Eckart's days are numbered and the replacement will burn natural gas.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

M&LS wrote:Lil' Boy Blue is at Eckart (Grand river) plant. cab East, old black SW (796) is facing cab West. Not lash-up 796 doesn't look to be MU equipped , maybe temporary power, maybe 796 will be parts donor.
I'm not sure if 796 is MU'able, But the blue one is but only for brakes.

M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M&LS »

UncleRaul wrote:Interesting, since Eckart's days are numbered and the replacement will burn natural gas.
Yes and no, Eckart, which at this point generates both steam and electricity, the steam generation will go off line in a year or so after the new co-gen plant is put online. However, Eckart will still be producing onto the electric grid until 2025 or beyond.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

Well that is a big waste. They will still burn coal to make electricty as they do now. I assume that now they bleed steam off the turbines for the send out steam, that way you get dual use from the steam (and coal). So in the future they will burn natural gas to just make send out steam meanwhile driving u the cost of gas to all of us who heat their homes with natural gas and making the oil companies richer. At the same time the do-gooders have discovered co-generation and think that is a great idea, BWL goes agenst it.

80mac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 80mac »

KenB wrote:Well that is a big waste. They will still burn coal to make electricity as they do now. I assume that now they bleed steam off the turbines for the send out steam, that way you get dual use from the steam (and coal). So in the future they will burn natural gas to just make send out steam meanwhile driving u the cost of gas to all of us who heat their homes with natural gas and making the oil companies richer. At the same time the do-gooders have discovered co-generation and think that is a great idea, BWL goes agenst it.
If it's going to be a true co-gen plant or combined cycle plant it will be far better off that traditional coal. First it is cleaner, and for burning the gas you get both electricity from the turbine generator and you also get additional steam that can be used for either export or further power generation. Now for the price of NG that's anyone's guess, right now prices are at low prices so gas plants are producing power cheaper that coal plants.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

80mac wrote:Now for the price of NG that's anyone's guess, right now prices are at low prices so gas plants are producing power cheaper that coal plants.
Gas, like oil, tends to be very volatile. Coal tends to be stable.

The current "progressive" leadership is creating an energy nightmare for poor and middle class groups by playing favorites with gas and green energy and forcing out through heavy regulation coal and oil energy.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M&LS »

Hold on!!!!

before this gets too far off topic....

A: Eckart is running on old tech. better to update it. but first get our money's worth out of it.

B: New plant IS co-gen. Natural gas only. both electric and steam loop. much more efficient.

C: petroleum companies with Nat-gas & fracking, still not a great thing. cleaner burning than coal, but that "clean coal" is a bunch of crap.

D: like Coal companies haven't raked folks over the coals (pun intended). remember it was big coal that build the Virginian Ry?! which oil company build an oil hauling RR the size of the VGN?

Anyways back to the switcher, remember that topic? Ya, I doubt it's gonna get MU'ed. Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens next, any ideas? How old is the Geep 9 at Erikson getting to be?

mrconductor55
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mrconductor55 »

so who exactly owns this unit now? I saw this unit at work in Peoria a few times on the now a bike trail Rock Island Kellar Branchline. I believe it is Mu'able. I remember the CIRY MU'd it to SW14 1202 back in 2009 one time. I rode in this units cab once a few years ago. CIRY MU'd the 1206 and 1209 which are both SW9's from that same BRC order.

Sadly this shot is no longer possible, all locomotives have since left Peoria, and these tracks have been pulled up and paved over.

Here it is still in DRSX Paint after just being delivered to East Peoria by the Union Pacific in 2005. She was sporting lots of graffiti after being based on the former Santa Fe Illinois Northern Line, next to Cook County Jail
GP9R wrote:
M&LS wrote:Lil' Boy Blue is at Eckart (Grand river) plant. cab East, old black SW (796) is facing cab West. Not lash-up 796 doesn't look to be MU equipped , maybe temporary power, maybe 796 will be parts donor.
I'm not sure if 796 is MU'able, But the blue one is but only for brakes.

GR Ron
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GR Ron »

[quote="mrconductor55"]Sadly this shot is no longer possible, all locomotives have since left Peoria, and these tracks have been pulled up and paved over.

And that price of gas will never again be replicated either :(
GR Ron