RailRoadRumorMill. Up and running.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: RailRoadRumorMill. Up and running.

Unread post by SD80MAC »

AARR wrote:
Conrail Jon wrote:My guess would be about 125 tons (250,000 lbs), yet, I know ice can be a big problem.
Considering an SW9 weighs 125 tons, I would think a GP39-2 would weigh quite a bit more.
Maybe 130 for the GP39-2, but I think you are a bit high on the SW9.[/quote]
An SW9 weighs 248,000 lbs, which works out to 124 US tons. Depending on fuel, sand and other factors, they can weigh 125 plus. A GP39-2 weighs 250,000 lbs, which is 125 US tons. I knew I was right on the SW9, but I figured Geeps would weigh more than that.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

BOHICA wrote:You would be surprised as to what a locomotive cant run over. As soon as you get some packed snow that turns into hard ice you better get a pick axe or a lot of flares. The wheel flange will ride right up over that ice and the other wheels will follow it. Remember the tread of the wheel is where all the weight is, that flange is like a guide, and it will follow what ever you give it.
Too add, you have to also remember the area in which the wheel actually sits (makes contact) on the rail is the size of a dime

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

To add some intreague to this thread there is a rumor of some activity taking place on the spur to the Natural Gas refinery in Kalkaska. This refinery used to be a good source of traffic for MIGN and later TSBY. Trucks cut into the business in the late 1980's but there was still a handful of cars or so a week that went to the refinery in Alma. When the Alma refinery closed around 1999 all traffic from Kalkaska's NG refinery was going out exclusivley by pipeline or truck. So if there is any truth to the renewal of NGL shipments by rail it will be interesting to see if they end up on the AA or if AA is used as an overhead railroad.

Railroad rumors are always more interesting than realty :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

Railroad rumors are always more interesting than realty.
Yeah, I'm always happy whenever new rumors are mentioned.

Ribbon Rail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ribbon Rail »

ns8401 wrote:Here's something to add to the AA part of this equation:

They are getting a new unit, a former UP/MKT/CR/PC GP40, now reclassed as a GP40-3 and numbered as 1337 that was overhauled and repainted in yellow with the elongated shield logo by LTE. This may be just for general service but I can't imagine they would buy another unit if business was static so there may be something to the Marathon rumor... Also there are NO marathon facilities on the AA unless they went and built something recently.

History:
Built 08/1968 As PC 3111 to CR 3111 to MKT 3111 to MKT 237 to UP 672 to UP 9955 To UP 1337 To AA 1337.
They’re supposed to replace the old GP38’s eventually. Those girls are pretty worn down. :(