Current E&LS operations?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Current E&LS operations?

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

Which lines see daily use and which are strictly storage? are they busier in mi or wi? and finally, has the track to Ontonagon been ripped out physically or is it still in the process, is there any hope?

And on a completely unrelated note, what is the status of the CN white pine sub? I know there was talk of someone buying the refinery, or are there even logs shipped off the line anymore?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Current E&LS operations?

Unread post by AARR »

I posted some updates around here somewhere. I will try to find them again and link to this thread.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

blackjack1518
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blackjack1518 »

JANGAJONGA wrote:Which lines see daily use and which are strictly storage? are they busier in mi or wi? and finally, has the track to Ontonagon been ripped out physically or is it still in the process, is there any hope?

And on a completely unrelated note, what is the status of the CN white pine sub? I know there was talk of someone buying the refinery, or are there even logs shipped off the line anymore?
The CN White Pine sub is out of service at this point. The WP refinery was sold but still is not running. Been talks of reopening the underground mining operations once again at WP. At Thomaston will be the load site for the Copperwood mine when that starts up, that is still maybe two years off yet before they are up and running. I personally think a joint venture will form with Orvana Minerals Copperwood project. I have also heard that a Japanese firm is interested in mining once again in White Pine, there is still as much copper and sliver at White Pine as was mined but nearly all of it under water now.

sammysue04
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by sammysue04 »

http://niagaraworldwide.com/site/equipm ... /calendar/

According to that the white pine refinery was scrapped out? Not saying the japanese firm wouldn't reopen but who knows??

Did the switcher at white pine go south?

Would love to see someone else service the sub north of prentice to ashland and brach off to white pine like the e&ls or WN. Seems like the northern wisconsin counties are banding together to pressure the cn to run the mothballed lines and underserved lines or else sell them to the state!

As far as the e&ls they have no schedule.. They have been in greenbay early in the week around tuesday and are back later in the week around thursday. They seem to have a crew and train set that reguarly works the storage lines

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I cant find the thread so here is what I recall from memory.

Crew from Green Bay averages 2-3 trips north to Crivitiz a week. Mostly empty log cars and storage cars. Cars for Oconto Falls (canned goods, grain, and scrap paper) and LPG for Crivitz. Also cars for L-P in Sagola.

Channing crew goes where ever needed but also average 2-3 trips south to Crivitz. Moslty loaded log cars, storage cars, and a few loads from Sagola (plywood or something likie that).

Yard crew works M&M line three times a week. All interchange is with CN in Town. No more trips west to Crivitz.

Train goes to Escanaba/Wells once a week (usually Sunday mornings) with engine swaps and cars for repair. They use CN's line from Pembine to Escanaba.

Line to Ontonagon is dead beyond ??? Residential or condo's will be built on old mill site.

Wood chip operation opening up near Pembine should add a lot of business but most will be exchanged with CN right at Pembine.

This is from memory which is failing me as I age so if someone has corrections please post it.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

If the search here on this site doesn't work well enough for you, you can also go to google, and search for: site:railroadfan.com E&LS
In place of E&LS, type in whatever thing you are searching for, such as: site:railroadfan.com NS Heritage Units
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

~Z~ wrote:If the search here on this site doesn't work well enough for you, you can also go to google, and search for: site:railroadfan.com E&LS
In place of E&LS, type in whatever thing you are searching for, such as: site:railroadfan.com NS Heritage Units
Duly noted, thanks!

sammysue04
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:I cant find the thread so here is what I recall from memory.

Crew from Green Bay averages 2-3 trips north to Crivitiz a week. Mostly empty log cars and storage cars. Cars for Oconto Falls (canned goods, grain, and scrap paper) and LPG for Crivitz. Also cars for L-P in Sagola.

Channing crew goes where ever needed but also average 2-3 trips south to Crivitz. Moslty loaded log cars, storage cars, and a few loads from Sagola (plywood or something likie that).

Yard crew works M&M line three times a week. All interchange is with CN in Town. No more trips west to Crivitz.

Train goes to Escanaba/Wells once a week (usually Sunday mornings) with engine swaps and cars for repair. They use CN's line from Pembine to Escanaba.

Line to Ontonagon is dead beyond ??? Residential or condo's will be built on old mill site.

Wood chip operation opening up near Pembine should add a lot of business but most will be exchanged with CN right at Pembine.

This is from memory which is failing me as I age so if someone has corrections please post it.
I heard that thilmany has their own wood chip cars. But i find i hard to believe they will back track east to hermansville from pembine and back down the shorline to greenbay. They are going to appleton and my guess is they will be interchanged in north greenbay with the cn from the e&ls

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

sammysue04 wrote:I heard that thilmany has their own wood chip cars. But i find i hard to believe they will back track east to hermansville from pembine and back down the shorline to greenbay. They are going to appleton and my guess is they will be interchanged in north greenbay with the cn from the e&ls
SS04 got it. Thilmany is the company that will have the wood chip operation near Pembine. So it looks like the traffic will go south on E&LS to Green Bay? 8) Thats not what I recall reading from a E&LS employee but maybe I misread or maybe hes wrong :? I was 4th or 5th in line so maybe I got it wrong.

blackjack1518
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blackjack1518 »

sammysue04 wrote:http://niagaraworldwide.com/site/equipm ... /calendar/

According to that the white pine refinery was scrapped out? Not saying the japanese firm wouldn't reopen but who knows??

Did the switcher at white pine go south?

Would love to see someone else service the sub north of prentice to ashland and brach off to white pine like the e&ls or WN. Seems like the northern wisconsin counties are banding together to pressure the cn to run the mothballed lines and underserved lines or else sell them to the state!

As far as the e&ls they have no schedule.. They have been in greenbay early in the week around tuesday and are back later in the week around thursday. They seem to have a crew and train set that reguarly works the storage lines
This is what was left inside the smelter. Part of the smelter was left standing all these years and what ever was left inside and the building was scraped out or sold off after Traxys purchased the refinery site. I was in the building about 6 years ago and it was in bad shape then. I also do think the switcher is still stored in it's building along with a old Copper Range Co. 55 ton switcher.

sammysue04
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
sammysue04 wrote:I heard that thilmany has their own wood chip cars. But i find i hard to believe they will back track east to hermansville from pembine and back down the shorline to greenbay. They are going to appleton and my guess is they will be interchanged in north greenbay with the cn from the e&ls
SS04 got it. Thilmany is the company that will have the wood chip operation near Pembine. So it looks like the traffic will go south on E&LS to Green Bay? 8) Thats not what I recall reading from a E&LS employee but maybe I misread or maybe hes wrong :? I was 4th or 5th in line so maybe I got it wrong.
Per E&LS Hogger "
"No trackwork yet, I don't think they have let the bids yet. No more work yet at McConnell Landing. The wood chip cars will go to Green Bay."

They got state funding from wisconsin to work on track from wausaukee north to the up border.. My guess is the wood chip cars may add a third train into gb a weej. WOuld be nice to see a 50-60 car unit train