New NS unit dirt train?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

New NS unit dirt train?

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

I read this on another site:
Willow Run will soon be the end point for a unit train of dirty dirt coming in; anticipating 2-3 trains a week.

railroadchoad
Railroadfan...fan

Re: New NS unit dirt train?

Unread post by railroadchoad »

Yup. It seems to be happening. The NS crews are talking about it-for what that is worth. It should be contaminated dirt that is coming from out east somewhere to be disposed of in the Detroit area. I had heard that there my be some sort of process that cooks the contaminants out of the dirt before its final disposition but I don't know for sure.
Lookin' and smellin' darn GOOD!

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JDavis21835 »

railroadchoad wrote:Yup. It seems to be happening. The NS crews are talking about it-for what that is worth. It should be contaminated dirt that is coming from out east somewhere to be disposed of in the Detroit area. I had heard that there my be some sort of process that cooks the contaminants out of the dirt before its final disposition but I don't know for sure.
Probably going to EQ's landfill around Ypsi. They dont exactly cook the dirt. They mix the soil with other chemicals. Generally, they use a lot of bleach, around a 1:1 ratio. It oxidizes most chemicals, they continue to stir and mix the soil, depending on how much time is required to oxidize everything to a point where they can legally place it in their landfill. After the process of bleaching, they mix the soil with a product called quick lime, which creates a heat reaction with the liquid, and it dries the soil out. They then place it in their landfill, give you a neat little paper that says they accept responsibility for the dirty dirt, and it no longer is your problem.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Hmmmm.... I wonder as CSX delivers trains to EQ Environmental (ie Dirty Dirt) as K255/K256. I wonder if they will go to Willow Run to be interchanged to CSX for the disposal at the Wayne facility.

railroadchoad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroadchoad »

Thanks for the clarification JDavis. That explains the process nicely.
Lookin' and smellin' darn GOOD!

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

TrainWatcher wrote:Hmmmm.... I wonder as CSX delivers trains to EQ Environmental (ie Dirty Dirt) as K255/K256. I wonder if they will go to Willow Run to be interchanged to CSX for the disposal at the Wayne facility.

There is not an interchange agreement in place at Wayne at least not that I know of, why would you stage a train in Willow Run just to go all the way to Detroit to where the NS and CSX interchange? By coming all the way up to Detroit on NS to go to CSX you are just adding time and extra mileage for it to get to EQ in Romulus. You would have to go down the secondary or via Plymouth. Seeing that its going to Willow Run, I would bet that NS is doing some type of unloading in the yard.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

It sounds to me like NS may be handling bigger cuts of cars than what CSX does. Maybe even units trains?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

AARR wrote:It sounds to me like NS may be handling bigger cuts of cars than what CSX does. Maybe even units trains?
Well CSX already runs Selkirk-Romulus unit dirty dirt trains (k255/k256) so unless the NS swiped the CSX traffic?

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Can anyone point out this place where the trains take this dirt from, because I'm having a hard time finding it.
Exit stage left

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JDavis21835 »

redside20 wrote:Can anyone point out this place where the trains take this dirt from, because I'm having a hard time finding it.
No idea on start point. Probably all over the place. If this dirt is going to EQ, then it is probably contaminated with Volatile Organic Compounds. That is what EQ is set up to handle, and it lends itself to the EQ treatment system. I have sent a bunch of dirt from a job in Saline to EQ. That soil had Vinyl Chloride, TCE, and Toluene in it.

Taken directly from EQ's website:

EQ has the unique ability to manage large volume waste projects via rail throughout the United States. We have rail transfer facilities with the capability to handle hazardous, TSCA and non-hazardous waste streams.

Our rail facilities can manage gondolas, tankers and intermodal containers. We process large volumes of waste by unloading containers efficiently with the ability to hold even larger volumes on adjacent track. EQ also owns a fleet of over 300 gondola railcars.

Moving waste by rail is three times more fuel-efficient than moving waste on the highway. At EQ, we continually look for ways to better serve our customers and our rail capabilities are able to save you money and lessen the environmental impact of transporting waste.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

What is EQ's Reporting mark?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

tapezord
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tapezord »

Hudson River muck from New York.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

There has been a interchange agreement between the CSX and the NS at Wayne yard. It was mostly auto loads from the CSX docks and Wayne Industries. I haven't worked there in some time ,so things may have changed.

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Which EQ facility is getting the dirty dirt? Is it the one along I94 next to Willow Run Airport? Don't think they have rail service there, but did get truck loads of waste sludge from Detroit sewage treatment and also Canada, IIRC.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Could be transferred to trucks like the CN did in Rockwood.