More new signals on the Grand Rapids sub

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
J T
Hates Supper

Re: More new signals on the Grand Rapids sub

Unread post by J T »

Jochs wrote: Fennville. This signal was moved to extend the block between Wells and Fennville, and Helper was removed.
The Helper signal has been removed...and not replaced?

I bet they leave the codeline up between Fennville and Holland just to piss me off. :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Typhoon
Rock you like a Hurricane

Unread post by Typhoon »

J T wrote: The Helper signal has been removed...and not replaced?
Correct, Helper is gone. Something that I have not seen mentions, and is a nice upgrade, you can now get a signal onto a train at the West end of Wells. No more talking pushers onto a train :D .

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Jochs wrote: Fennville. This signal was moved to extend the block between Wells and Fennville, and Helper was removed.

Jeff, from which crossing did you take that picture?
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Thanks for the in-depth report Jochs...I'm going to update my TT.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

J T wrote:

Jeff, from which crossing did you take that picture?
128th Ave.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Here's good news for J_T :)

I heard the RN dispatcher talking to a maintainer about track time between Grand Junction and Wells to work with the contractor who is removing the line poles. Looks like the line poles will be down very soon between Grand Junction and Holland.
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

csxt4617 wrote:
J T wrote: Jeff, from which crossing did you take that picture?
128th Ave.
Actually, it's 126th Ave. Drove by there this morning after getting a shot of 371 passing the new signal in New Richmond. :)
Doktor No wrote: They took the wye at Helper out too.
What does that mean?
Jochs wrote:Here's good news for J_T :)

I heard the RN dispatcher talking to a maintainer about track time between Grand Junction and Wells to work with the contractor who is removing the line poles. Looks like the line poles will be down very soon between Grand Junction and Holland.

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

Typhoon wrote:
Correct, Helper is gone. Something that I have not seen mentions, and is a nice upgrade, you can now get a signal onto a train at the West end of Wells. No more talking pushers onto a train :D .
Good to know they added a small block onto the siding :) The ATCS'rs among us thank you for that tidbid :)

I don't suppose anyone has a running list of the new intermediate signals on the line? Might have to start my own this weekend If I get that far out of GRP.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

amtrak1007 wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Good to know they added a small block onto the siding :) The ATCS'rs among us thank you for that tidbid :)

I don't suppose anyone has a running list of the new intermediate signals on the line? Might have to start my own this weekend If I get that far out of GRP.
I'd like a list too, especially if they include milepost info.

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

J T wrote:
csxt4617 wrote:
J T wrote: Jeff, from which crossing did you take that picture?
128th Ave.
Actually, it's 126th Ave. Drove by there this morning after getting a shot of 371 passing the new signal in New Richmond. :)
Oops, sorry about that. When I replied, I was looking at the Michigan Gazetteer and trying to remember whether it was 126th or 128th. Both had a curve to the right just after the crossing. If I'd looked at google maps satellite view, I would have known for sure, since it has a dirt road next to it (which the one at 126th does)
J T wrote:
What does that mean?
Yeah, I was wondering that too...doesn't look like there was ever a wye there. I've got an old pic of a PM 1200 series sitting in a little siding next to the main with a small building signed "HELPER" in the background. I would assume after shoving a train over the hill, they would have just backed back down and pulled back in that little siding.
amtrak1007 wrote:
Typhoon wrote: Something that I have not seen mentions, and is a nice upgrade, you can now get a signal onto a train at the West end of Wells. No more talking pushers onto a train :D .
I don't think they added any blocks...they just added "call-on" type signaling, so you can get a restricting as soon as the previous train clears the OS section, which also works good for putting helpers on the rear of a train :) As to ATCS, aren't they using satellite based stuff now? I've never gotten into the ATCS stuff, so I'm not really sure...just thought I'd heard that somewhere.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

With the new signals, are all ABSOLUTE signals lit up all the time?

amtrak1007

MQT3001 wrote:With the new signals, are all ABSOLUTE signals lit up all the time?
Doubtful. I'd guess they went with all approach lit signals, then again Holland seems to be lit constantly so maybe the old DTC block limit signals are constantly lit, and the others aren't?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

amtrak1007 wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:With the new signals, are all ABSOLUTE signals lit up all the time?
Doubtful. I'd guess they went with all approach lit signals, then again Holland seems to be lit constantly so maybe the old DTC block limit signals are constantly lit, and the others aren't?
The only Searchlight signasl that were always lit that I ever saw were the one at the depot in holland and the Westbound Signal on the main 1 at Pleasant Street. However, the newer signals at Seymour and Fox, along with the lit ones we saw above at Saugatuck and Wells, as well as the EB signals at the Holland Depot, which if I remember correctly were NOT lit last time I saw them.

Also, I'd like to try to debunk or prove a thought my dad and I have had about the EB Signal at Grandville since I was 3: When does that signal turn on? Is it when the dispatcher lines a train through? Or is there a spot where a train passes that turns it on? We always guessed Holland, but thats not right looking at Amtrak, where its lit for them by 8:30, when they are not that far past Riverside... :?:

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I would assume that they'd be set up like they are between Jefferson and Elmdale, sidings are constantly lit and the intermediates are approach lit.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

SD80MAC wrote:I would assume that they'd be set up like they are between Jefferson and Elmdale, sidings are constantly lit and the intermediates are approach lit.
intermediates are the one like Thornapple right? that turn on when the train is a few blocks away?

amtrak1007

MQT3001 wrote:
Also, I'd like to try to debunk or prove a thought my dad and I have had about the EB Signal at Grandville since I was 3: When does that signal turn on? Is it when the dispatcher lines a train through? Or is there a spot where a train passes that turns it on? We always guessed Holland, but thats not right looking at Amtrak, where its lit for them by 8:30, when they are not that far past Riverside... :?:
I wanna say that one sounds like its dark unless protecting against a train in the block or a route lined through the control point. The only reason it was constantly lit a few winters ago was the storage of the autoracks on MT2?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

amtrak1007 wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:
I wanna say that one sounds like its dark unless protecting against a train in the block or a route lined through the control point. The only reason it was constantly lit a few winters ago was the storage of the autoracks on MT2?
Well, when a train is Westbound on the Main 2, It looks like the signal dosn't turn on until the train gets to the signal:

Go to 3:45ish

The lined through part seems like the right answer to me. I've always wondered that. We used to go across the tracks at Wilson, and if the light was on, we would stop in the parking lot and wait or we'd go look for it between Grandville and Holland.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

csxt4617 wrote:
J T wrote:
What does that mean?
Yeah, I was wondering that too...doesn't look like there was ever a wye there. I've got an old pic of a PM 1200 series sitting in a little siding next to the main with a small building signed "HELPER" in the background. I would assume after shoving a train over the hill, they would have just backed back down and pulled back in that little siding.
Yeah, there was a little spur off the east side of the tracks there just south of the old signals. There is still some evidence of the siding with what appears to be tie "lines" in the ground. Also, just east of the tracks at Helper, right near the tree line is the largest tree house known to mankind (aside from that at Disneyland/world). I don't know who built it or if it's still used/occupied, but it's quite amazing. I should have taken a picture of it the last time I hiked to the Helper signal.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

amtrak1007 wrote:
As far as I can tell so far, the signals at Wells are lit all the time, all red (unless a train is coming, of course). The new signals (5 lenses...???) at New Richmond were dark until Amtrak was completely past them.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

J T wrote:
amtrak1007 wrote:
As far as I can tell so far, the signals at Wells are lit all the time, all red (unless a train is coming, of course). The new signals (5 lenses...???) at New Richmond were dark until Amtrak was completely past them.
With the new signals, absolute signals are lit all the time, and the intermediates are approach lit.
For example, Riverside is always lit (and always red when I get off work :( )
If D700 goes east by Riverside, the intermediate at Coloma lights up as soon as the Riverside signal is knocked down..otherwise it is dark.
This comes in handy at places where signals are easily seen from the road because you can tell whether or not something is lined. :)
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1