Ludington Windmill Trains

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Re: Ludington Windmill Trains

Unread post by Jochs »

The power on the train (at least until it got to Grand Rapids) was UP 8696 and UP 6604.
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Jochs wrote:The power on the train (at least until it got to Grand Rapids) was UP 8696 and UP 6604.
Yep, UP 8696 was the leader from QNPCXP (old QNPSKP aka Q390) into Barr. Power is usually removed and brought to the Yard Center diesel shop. Second unit should still be UP 6684, not UP 6604 (it's in Wyoming...the state). :) 6684 was the DPU, but was facing the wrong way so they just added the 8696 on top of it, and then cut off the rear unit (which was the leader into Chicago), hung an EOT and went east.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Mr. Tops wrote:
Jochs wrote:The power on the train (at least until it got to Grand Rapids) was UP 8696 and UP 6604.
Yep, UP 8696 was the leader from QNPCXP (old QNPSKP aka Q390) into Barr. Power is usually removed and brought to the Yard Center diesel shop. Second unit should still be UP 6684, not UP 6604 (it's in Wyoming...the state). :) 6684 was the DPU, but was facing the wrong way so they just added the 8696 on top of it, and then cut off the rear unit (which was the leader into Chicago), hung an EOT and went east.
I got a video of the train but couldn't really tell what the second unit was. It was 66?4 in the video, and a 8 and 0 in the dark look quite a bit alike. :lol:
I hope some people get some pics of the train today, as I have yet to see any other than my dark pics. Had this train gone thru 24 hours later, the clear skies would have allowed the moonlight to shine through, and I could have gotten pics of it when they were stopped at Riverside for about 45 minutes or so.
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

tooltime
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tooltime »

Hello everyone, I new here and happen to live up in ludington. Here is a picture my wife took on the way home.
Edit: I cannot figure out how to get the picture from my phone to here.Any help would be great!!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

sxbud138 wrote:Hello everyone, I new here and happen to live up in ludington. Here is a picture my wife took on the way home.
Edit: I cannot figure out how to get the picture from my phone to here.Any help would be great!!
Go to our gallery (see top of page: click "Photo Gallery"), then create a gallery for yourself. Then, upload the picture. Finally, go to the main screen your photo is shown on, and copy & paste that "message board code" onto a post.

Also, Welcome to the Board :D

EDIT: RRfan.com Gallery: My Profile: Create/Order my albums: New Album.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

tooltime
Railroadfan...fan

MQT3001 wrote:
sxbud138 wrote:Hello everyone, I new here and happen to live up in ludington. Here is a picture my wife took on the way home.
Go to our gallery (see top of page: click "Photo Gallery"), then create a gallery for yourself. Then, upload the picture. Finally, go to the main screen your photo is shown on, and copy & paste that "message board code" onto a post.

Thanks, I got it setup but it still won't let me upload from my iPhone. :(

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

sxbud138 wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:

Thanks, I got it setup but it still won't let me upload from my iPhone. :(
Hmmmm.....

Looks like you get to email it to yourself and upload it from a PC/Laptop

tooltime
Railroadfan...fan

lets try this again.
Last edited by tooltime on Thu May 10, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Nice....they even used the caboose!

tip: when posting an image from the gallery, in the messageboard code, delete the part where it says "thumb_", highlighted below
[img]http://railroadfan.com/gallery/albums/userpics/12263/thumb_train.JPG[/img]
*I broke the code up so I could show you. Simply deete the part shown in red if you wish for a bigger picture, otherwise it will be a thumbnail (and in some situations you may want it that way)

tooltime
Railroadfan...fan

MQT3001 wrote:Nice....they even used the caboose!

tip: when posting an image from the gallery, in the messageboard code, delete the part where it says "thumb_", highlighted below
[img]http://railroadfan.com/gallery/albums/userpics/12263/thumb_train.JPG[/img]
*I broke the code up so I could show you. Simply deete the part shown in red if you wish for a bigger picture, otherwise it will be a thumbnail (and in some situations you may want it that way)
thanks ! its all fixxed up now. I see them pulling it around alot. on a side note in the background is the tubes from the last train delivery.
Last edited by tooltime on Thu May 10, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Does anyone who when the next train will be leaving Colorado? Also, any word on when the empties will come south?

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

Empties are orolly goung to come south in chunks.... im sure mr tops will let us know when the next train leaves. If he hasn't posted safe to assume then there wont be one for a while yet.

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

The empty flats that had the mast pieces went west on 327 a few nights ago. I didn't count them, but it looked like enough that it was probably all of them (from the first train).

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

MQT3001 wrote:Does anyone who when the next train will be leaving Colorado? Also, any word on when the empties will come south?
Z15109 bought 51 MT flats south on Wednesday. YM wasn't sure if they would go the night if the next on Q327.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

JCinSummerfield
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JCinSummerfield »

Will the wind be brought by rail, or will they truck it in? :mrgreen:

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

I figured the politicians and railroad officials would blow enough hot air to supply the whole state :lol: :mrgreen:

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Train #3 is currently at Pana, IL. SSJCXW 24 UP 6617/UP 7264 DPU. DPU is once again facing north, so it will not be leading the train into MI. Train is 26x0, 2623 tons, 2448 feet. Should be into Chicago by 8 or 9 tonight, so probably another nocturnal arrival into MI.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Thanks for the heads up, Bob. :)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

The DPU, UP 7264 is facing the right direction (south) so it will most likely be leading the train into MI. Computer thought it was facing forward, but I can confirm that's not the case. 26 loads, all are bases on 89 foot flats with CITX, COER and GIMX reporting marks. Train should be getting fairly close to Chicago by now.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Ideas on the train symbol for tonight's move from Chicago Doktor?
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com