Rail America FOR SALE ?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Rail America FOR SALE ?

Unread post by Notch 8 »

This has been reported on a few other groups, but TRAINS Magazine columnist
Fred Frailey revealed Monday that Fortress Investment Group is offering to
sell its 56% share in RailAmerica, along with 45 shortline railroads. For
those not as familiar with NCIR territory, this affects the Chicago Fort
Wayne & Eastern, Central Railroad of Indianapolis and Toledo Peoria &
Western. In Michigan the GRE, HESR the Mid Michigan and the Michigan
Shore and most recent the Marquette... I would love to see BNSF get the
CF&E and put the double track back in.. If we are dreaming might as well
dream BIG !

Most interest is the last line:

"There are reports that BNSF Railway owner Berkshire Hathaway has expressed
interest in acquiring RailAmerica. "

http://www.easternrailroadnews.com/2012 ... -for-sale/

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Re: Rail America FOR SALE ?

Unread post by Y@ »

RA also owns the I&O and ISRR.
Bottom text.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

CN gets dibs on the Durand to Bay City line :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JDavis21835 »

AARR wrote:CN gets dibs on the Durand to Bay City line :)
Cant fly across the state on that one :lol:

AveryRdhouse
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AveryRdhouse »

Hey Dok. Get that mailman to pick up the pace. I'll gladly take that hearing notice. Still a good manpower shortage up here. What can we do to get 30 days off? And the "Fong", as we call him was made
YOUR new Div. Man. Enjoy him. EEEEhhhhh. What's the plan?????
Bill

GHRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GHRailFan »

Let's just say that there has been a MASSIVE clean-up movement on RA properties in MI. North yard got a complete cleaning and the office there was repainted, GRE had a couple of the shoddier buildings near the diamond torn down, and there has been a TON of other little hints in the past month or so that point directly to an upcoming sale. On top of that, big shots have been in Michigan quite frequently in the past month.

I was thinking that with RA taking over Marquette, that the MMRR and the GRE would be sold off very soon but it very well could be that they are selling off quite a bit more. With some of the things I have seen and heard behind the scenes lately, I would say the possibility of a sale is much closer than many people think.

extra board
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by extra board »

BE nice if CSX TOOK Muskegon & Ludington back over..... :twisted: :D

tooltime
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tooltime »

extra board wrote:BE nice if CSX TOOK Muskegon & Ludington back over..... :twisted: :D
Yes it sure would !!!!! :)

Pete Mayor
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pete Mayor »

Don't get too excited about your favorite railroad getting a piece. Its only for sale in its entirety. You have to buy it all or nothing.
"I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don’t have as many people who believe it.
"

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

GHSignalMaintainer wrote:Let's just say that there has been a MASSIVE clean-up movement on RA properties in MI. North yard got a complete cleaning and the office there was repainted, GRE had a couple of the shoddier buildings near the diamond torn down, and there has been a TON of other little hints in the past month or so that point directly to an upcoming sale. On top of that, big shots have been in Michigan quite frequently in the past month.

I was thinking that with RA taking over Marquette, that the MMRR and the GRE would be sold off very soon but it very well could be that they are selling off quite a bit more. With some of the things I have seen and heard behind the scenes lately, I would say the possibility of a sale is much closer than many people think.
If the "big shots" have been in the area, probably related to the MQT purchase. They most likely took a look at the rest of the "assets" they own. One look at the mess at Fuller Jct. was probably enough for them to order a general top to bottom cleanup. The AA and the PRR didn't look that bad in their dying days of the 60's. I would not have wanted to be the guy in the corner office in Vassar after the tour ended. Glad to see the improvements.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Rail America is not really "for sale" Fortress just happens to be pondering divesting their shares of the company. Right now you can go buy Rail America stock, it's publicly traded.

Also just because Berkshire Hathaway is interested means nothing, their portfolio is huge, Geico, BNSF, Hezlberg Diamonds, Johns Manville, Fruit of the Loom, etc. They do little in the way of micromanaging things either.