Frankenmuth

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Frankenmuth

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

Does anyone know if rail ever serviced the grain elevator in downtown Frankenmuth and when.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Frankenmuth

Unread post by AARR »

Yes, but removed long ago. Star of the West owns and operates quite a few elevators and mills in the thumb area and also in Quincy, MI, and IN and OH too. The place in Frankenmuth transloads inbound and outbound product from several places including Flint and Saginaw.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

AARR wrote:Yes, but removed long ago. Star of the West owns and operates quite a few elevators and mills in the thumb area and also in Quincy, MI, and IN and OH too. The place in Frankenmuth transloads inbound and outbound product from several places including Flint and Saginaw.
It did? When? The only rail line serving Frankenmuth I know of was the old Interurban, but that was gone back in the 30's? No rail service has ever directly served Star of the West. It has been indrectley serviced via a truck to rail transfer.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:The only rail line serving Frankenmuth I know of was the old Interurban, but that was gone back in the 30's?
I have a map from 1925 that shows a line into Frankenmuth. That must be the line it was referring too.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

For some reason, four years ago I had remember seeing a crossing gate by the silos on main street. Maybe it was a train mirage

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

AARR wrote:
sd70accsxt700 wrote:The only rail line serving Frankenmuth I know of was the old Interurban, but that was gone back in the 30's?
I have a map from 1925 that shows a line into Frankenmuth. That must be the line it was referring too.
I am sure it is, but I dont think it ever serviced Star of the West, could be wrong. Anyone have the Arcadia Publishing book on Frankenmuth? I know it talked about the interurban line a litte and had a photo of a locomotive and a gon in Frankenmuth? Say anything about who it serviced. If there was, it has been gone a long long long time.
Last edited by sd70accsxt700 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

wagnew0923 wrote:For some reason, four years ago I had remember seeing a crossing gate by the silos on main street. Maybe it was a train mirage
IIRC what you seen was a RR crossbuck (or something that looked like it at the School House Square (IIRC). I rember something like that, in the grass in front of the place. It was just in front of Star of the West. Also the brown colored building next to Star of the West, and the brewery, used to be a big LGB dealer, dont know if it still is.

Proto48Patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Proto48Patrick »

I just did some work at Star of the west last Thursday and I was wondering the same thing. I couldn't see any evidence of a rail line, but I didn't look really hard. On my way home to Grand Rapids, I stopped at the hobby shop between 75 and Frankenmuth. Picked up a O scale 40' Container.
Patrick Welch

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Proto48Patrick wrote:On my way home to Grand Rapids, I stopped at the hobby shop between 75 and Frankenmuth. Picked up a O scale 40' Container.
Junction Valley. The owner Bill, just passed away a few weeks ago.

Proto48Patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Proto48Patrick »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:
Proto48Patrick wrote:On my way home to Grand Rapids, I stopped at the hobby shop between 75 and Frankenmuth. Picked up a O scale 40' Container.
Junction Valley. The owner Bill, just passed away a few weeks ago.

No kidding. Thats too bad.
Patrick Welch

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

1920 Plat map shows the PM line to the north of Frankenmuth running through Gera, and the Michigan Electric Railway entering Frankenmuth from the west.
http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/M ... wp1920.htm
Sorry to hear the sad news about the JVRR.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

The Michigan Electric Railway ran along side Junction Rd. Bill who owned JV, used to tell me about how when we was building the railroad IIRC he found the trestle piers along side Junction Road, where the "Valley" was. You can still follow most of the MER from Junction Rd/Dixie Hwy all the way to Mt. Morris.