Trout Lake

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GP-35
Railroadfan...fan

Trout Lake

Unread post by GP-35 »

I was in the UP. last weekend, when returning I went through Trout Lake & notised there was welded rail through town. Could someone tell me how fare the welded rail goes. Also along M28 the track lookes hump de doumty, is it class 1 or 2. Thank You.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Re: Trout Lake

Unread post by CAT345C »

When I was be boping around that area two weekends ago they were doing spot work between Trout Lake and oh say Engadine or Gilchrist. I believe they are simply taking the worst spots of jointed on the line and putting welded rail in rather than just putting new sticks of jointed down. All along Trout Lake Rd/ Hiawatha Trail there were misc pieces of track equipment, this old WC crane at Gilchrist.
IMG_8777 by miketabone89, on Flickr
IMG_8776 by miketabone89, on Flickr

I also came across a speed swing, tie adizer, spiker, and tie changer along the way, although they were all curiously spread out with miles between them. There was also Ballast cars in the siding at Gilchrist.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I don't know what class the track is on the Newberry sub (Trout Lake to Munising) any longer but the rate of travel is SLOOOOW. Maybe 10 mph.

I expect that CN will not improve this section until something goes bump in the night or the forest products business picks.

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAP »

I thought I heard that they laid some continuous welded rail on the Seney stretch last year.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

GAP wrote:I thought I heard that they laid some continuous welded rail on the Seney stretch last year.
I had not heard that. I wonder where. I will have to check that out.

There is an interesting feature of the old DSS&A track. Apparently when the line was last relaid, the rail chosen is of a non-standard web. Replacement rail is not available so the WC saved every decent piece of rail they pulled up on the South Shore. CWR would most likely be made from the rail in stock or welded in place.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

GAP wrote:I thought I heard that they laid some continuous welded rail on the Seney stretch last year.
I heard CN did track work but I did not hear what that consisted of. I thought maybe just new ballast and ties but maybe they did lay new rail.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...