Man walking on trestle struck by CSX train

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
gtwhogger
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Man walking on trestle struck by CSX train

Unread post by gtwhogger »

I think he just wanted his Gym Shoes back from the telegraph wires and he just didn't make it?

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Someone knows something and WOOD TV has failed to follow up the story.
And you are surprised by this? Headlines and soundbites are all you are gonna get from the media.

"Turn off the TV. Turn off the crap". Jimmy Buffett
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

ikeabc123 wrote: They manage to make massive stories off bits of nothing. amazing how they cant come up with one here
:lol: So true.
gtwhogger wrote:I think he just wanted his Gym Shoes back from the telegraph wires and he just didn't make it?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

gtwhogger wrote:I think he just wanted his Gym Shoes back from the telegraph wires and he just didn't make it?
It does seem if there is a telephone wire someone's shoes will be up there :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

gtwhogger
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
It does seem if there is a telephone wire someone's shoes will be up there :lol:

This photo I took back in April 7th, 2012 and I edited the gym shoes out of the photo just ahead of the cabbage unit.

I don't pity the person who got hit, it is clearly marked no trespassing and it is a Federal Offense to be on Railroad Property without prior Written Permission from the Carrier, with the preserved roadway bridge parallel to the Right of Way of the CSXT there is NO REASON the person should have been on that bridge, they got what they deserved! I have no pity for anyone who pulls around the gates in front of me or who walks in front of me and gets run over, But I do feel for the passengers who are involved since they have no control over the stupid moron behind the wheel.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

gtwhogger wrote: This photo I took back in April 7th, 2012 and I edited the gym shoes out of the photo just ahead of the cabbage unit.
Son of a b....damm it, I've been wanting to do a night shot there for years! Nice job, hogger. What did you use for flashes and how many did you have on the ped bridge?

Funny...out of the dozens and dozens of photos I've taken of that bridge, I've never edited out the shoes. However, in daylight they probably don't show up as much as with a night shot with a bright flash.

Will be there tomorrow morning with Gregg P. to get a shot of the shoes again. :D
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

trnwatcher wrote:
sxbud138 wrote:Must of been out fishing ? I'm not sure why you wouldn't jump off the bridge.
With the lack of rain around here, even the depest part of that channel wouldn't be more than 6ft deep right now. Depending on where he was on the bridge jumping might not have been an option.
Ummm, ok, now I'm not a brain surgeon or anything, but uh, it had to certainly be better than the choice he went with.
Brett

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

J T wrote:
gtwhogger wrote: This photo I took back in April 7th, 2012 and I edited the gym shoes out of the photo just ahead of the cabbage unit.
Son of a b....damm it, I've been wanting to do a night shot there for years! Nice job, hogger. What did you use for flashes and how many did you have on the ped bridge?

Funny...out of the dozens and dozens of photos I've taken of that bridge, I've never edited out the shoes. However, in daylight they probably don't show up as much as with a night shot with a bright flash.

Will be there tomorrow morning with Gregg P. to get a shot of the shoes again. :D
Can you post a pic where you can see the shoes? I've never noticed them in your pictures, but I remember some from a decade ago :lol: I want to see if they're the same
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

gtwhogger
Railroadfan...fan

J T wrote:

I used 5 Nikon Speed Lights 3 SB-910's, 1 SB-900, 1 SB-800, and 5 PocketWizard Flex 5's mounted on Manfrotto Light Stands.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

gtwhogger wrote:
J T wrote:

I used 5 Nikon Speed Lights 3 SB-910's, 1 SB-900, 1 SB-800, and 5 PocketWizard Flex 5's mounted on Manfrotto Light Stands.
I wonder what the train crew and passengers thought...... :P

gtwhogger
Railroadfan...fan

MQT3001 wrote:
J T wrote:

Can you post a pic where you can see the shoes? I've never noticed them in your pictures, but I remember some from a decade ago :lol: I want to see if they're the same

Here is one with the shoes in place.

gtwhogger
Railroadfan...fan

I wonder what the train crew and passengers thought...... :P[/quote]

I pre trigger the flash heads before they arrive a couple times to give the crews a heads up that something is about to blind them, :-)

Here is one I did in Vicksburg on Train M393 same thing I triggered it a couple times before they showed to the final spot so they wouldn't be startled, this one I used 6 Speed Lights and 6 pocket wizards. I have used up to 11 Speed Lights on subjects before, there are times I wish I had more, I own 11 speed lights but at $550 a pop I have had to with hold my pocket book and bought Profoto D1/1000 Airs for portrait work so it's a trade off, I think about bringing my studio lights out and a Generator but all those extension cords would be a mess and $4500 for battery supplies for my studio lights isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Last edited by gtwhogger on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Thanks! I'm not sure if those are the same or not :?

I went down there a lot with my dad when I was about 5. Always looked for the shoes on the wires!

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Those are some stunning shots gtwhogger! I immediately thought of O. Winston Link when I saw them.
Thank you for sharing them with us.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote:Thanks! I'm not sure if those are the same or not :?

I went down there a lot with my dad when I was about 5. Always looked for the shoes on the wires!
I don't think they are. Looking over several photos from 4+ years ago, I don't see the shoes. For example, from Feb 8, 2008:

Last edited by J T on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

ikeabc123 wrote:
J T wrote:
Todd Cline wrote: I'll go out on a limb here and say that only one person could provide all those details you are asking for, and he is dead.

Todd
But somehow they surmised he was taking a short cut (which is completely absurd if you know anything about the area). Someone knows something and WOOD TV has failed to follow up the story.
They manage to make massive stories off bits of nothing. amazing how they cant come up with one here
Agreed here on this point. Check out the B-52's song "Channel Z" sometime. Kind of gets to the nitty-gritty of modern media.
By the way, if WOOD-TV-8 is the "know all-tell all" of local media, why didn't they announce/explain the firing of Suzanne Geha? She was a fixture on their news for over 20 years. All of the sudden just GONE. No motive, no explaination, no nothing. THERE'S one for the "target-8 investigation team". Somehow I think it won't get any air time.....

Todd
Todd

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Holy crap...I just noticed in all of my pics from New Richmond since June 9th that the codeline poles and wires are GONE. :shock: (no more tennis shoes!) For years I've been pissing and moaning about that codeline in front of the bridge (and in many shots, in front of trains) and I didn't even notice that it was gone during the half dozen or so times I've been there the past two months. :lol:

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Todd Cline wrote: By the way, if WOOD-TV-8 is the "know all-tell all" of local media, why didn't they announce/explain the firing of Suzanne Geha? She was a fixture on their news for over 20 years. All of the sudden just GONE. No motive, no explaination, no nothing. THERE'S one for the "target-8 investigation team". Somehow I think it won't get any air time.....

Todd
Todd
Todd Todd, usually when media outlets fire their on-air personalities, they don't explain anything to the public. I've never heard it happen with radio, and I'm sure TV is the same way. Unless a person is retiring or moving on to greener pastures, then there generally will be no air time dedicated to their departure.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Suzanne Geha sounds familiar. Didn't she start out in Detoit, maybe ch 4 or 7?
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

She was on Channel 7 in the early 80s.

She isn't the only veteran news anchor to get pushed out lately - its happening at TV stations all over. Its a combination of older anchors wanting more money in their contracts and stations wanting a younger person whos better looking and will do the same job for half the money.