Wabash line today

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
rwas
Railroadfan...fan

Wabash line today

Unread post by rwas »

Anybody know why trains on the Wabash line have pretty much been nonexistent today? I live within a mile of the tracks and have not heard a horn all day. Thanks in advance, Ron

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: Wabash line today

Unread post by Ypsi »

its sunday... that will do it sometimes
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

rwas
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rwas »

When I sit in church almost adjacent to the tracks there is a minimum of 3-4 trains in an hour and a half and there normally is approx. 6-8 trains from sun up to Noon. It has been unusually quiet today? :(

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

I would hardly call 4 trains in an hour and a half on a line with 20 trains or less a day, normal.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

ive been on the wabash a few times, I have seen no trains, I have seen 4 trains in under an hour, and I have seen 1 train in 2 hours... its a hit or miss with the wabash
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

MagnumForce wrote:I would hardly call 4 trains in an hour and a half on a line with 20 trains or less a day, normal.
Actually it is. I was at Oakwood Yard yesterday - had two trains run each way between 2 and 3:30pm. CP Trains get delayed on the Shared Assets daily. The westbound CP ethanol train sat at Delray Junction for a good hour waiting to get over the NS bridge and into Oakwood Yard.

Remember you have 4 railroads, along with Conrail locals all trying to get through the junction, and have to cross a drawbridge over the Rouge. While the CP train was waiting the Conrail bridge was open at the time for a vessel, and CSX Q151 was stopped on the NS bridge waiting to get by Ecorse Junction.

The CP ethanol train finally got to Oakwood, and had to run around NS 171, which was doubling up at Oakwood Yard. 171 followed the CP guys west, and ended up meeting NS 264 and CP 240 out by Belleville, so there was 4 trains bunched up right there.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Yes, I grew up 5 miles from the Wabash in Michigan, a state you profess I hate. 4 trains in an hour is possible but if I heard no trains for 4 hours I would think nothing of it. All I am saying.

The OP is from Morenci, far far away from Oakwood and home to less than 20 trains a day. This also happens to be quite near my home just north of Kunkle across the State line. We used to get fertilizer in Munson and I used to ride my bike to Kunkle and East end Alvordton and everywhere in between. My brother still lives up there he is a rail fan and a member of this board and crosses the line twice a day and can give you an idea as well. I know you would love to prove me wrong, Steve. Not this time though.

4 trains a day can and does happen, but I still would not call it normal.

nssd70m-2
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by nssd70m-2 »

I saw about 4 trains in an hour in Romulus on the Wabash tonight.

kneemeister
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kneemeister »

On a daily basis If I am 10 mins late going to work or coming home I will end up being 15 mins late. Usually Eastbound in the Morning and West in the afternoon. I Also see The Ethanol train going east in the late morning early afternoon if I am in Montpelier. But the traffic seems to run long periods of nothingness then a couple close together.
But unlike most of you My ADD keeps me from sitting still long enough to see how many trains pass a given point. That is why you guys didn't believe Brent had a real brother. :D But How many of you have raced a container train from Amerillo to Panhandle; at 70 mph the train had the advantage, no small towns with stoplights to slow it down. Most of my foaming is done from the drivers seat.
Last edited by kneemeister on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

MagnumForce wrote:I would hardly call 4 trains in an hour and a half on a line with 20 trains or less a day, normal.
You have never noticed that on just about any given rail line, certain times of the day tend to be busier or slower than the daily average?

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Also depends where along the line you are as well - especially on predominantly single track lines.
Ben Higdon wrote:
You have never noticed that on just about any given rail line, certain times of the day tend to be busier or slower than the daily average?

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Ben Higdon wrote:
Obviously, but on a line like the Detroit District if I don't see a train for 4 hours it is no more abnormal or normal however you choose to see it, than seeing 4 trains in an hour.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Brent, I said the same thing earlier in different words, but my post was apparently removed because the mods think I'm a problem.
Bottom text.

kneemeister
Railroadfan...fan

It seems that there is often a couple in one direction close together, then a long wait. How many sidings are there between Montpilier and Detroit, and is that a factor in the fleeting that seems to take place.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

2 posts in a day from Dave, my mind is blown ;-)

kneemeister
Railroadfan...fan

MagnumForce wrote:2 posts in a day from Dave, my mind is blown ;-)
No thats just two post period! I have finally decided to stop lurking, and post somthing.

canpac08
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by canpac08 »

kneemeister wrote:It seems that there is often a couple in one direction close together, then a long wait. How many sidings are there between Montpilier and Detroit, and is that a factor in the fleeting that seems to take place.
siding are as follows
from Butler to OJ

105.5 West Blakeslee
104.5 East Blakeslee siding 5601 FT

97.4 MontpIielier
93.7 Mode

85.6 West End Alvordton
83.8 East End Alvorton siding 9211 ft

73.1 West End North Morenci
71.3 East End North Morenci siding 8842 ft

61.2 Stan
54.3 Raisin Center

39.8 West Milan siding 11,000 ft
37.4 Milan
33.3 Whitaker Runner

23.3 Bellville
8.7 Oakwood Junction (OJ)

This is all the sidings and stretches of double track. I added the runner at whitaker but did fig distance.
hope this helps
He who wanders with purpose, has no purpose to wander

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

For what it's worth, trains seem to be down everywhere. Which calls into question all the happy talk about the economy getting better.
I was at Romulus last Wednesday from 4 to about 6 and saw 5 trains, 2 on the Wabash, and 3 CSX. Then I went down to Wyandotte Oak street and saw 2 trains between 6:30 and 11pm. 1 CN and 1 NS rack train. I used to see 12 to 15 trains at Oak street in a long evening. Now maybe 3 or 4. The movement of goods tells me more about the economy than the corporate talking heads on the nightly news.
I bought some C batteries last week for my portable stereo, and some monofilament fishing line. Both made in China!
Oh, and that Sony portable stereo I bought? Made in China too. Didn't know Sony stuff was made in China.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".