Michigan Southern

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Michigan Southern

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Anyone know what days the MSO usually runs out of White Pigeon? Does the same crew work the Elkhart & Western on days they don't work the MSO? Thanks!
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: Michigan Southern

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Last I knew, they were running M-W-F out of White Pigeon to Sturgis and back. I have a couple reports which now are a few years old but it details their moves pretty well. Find the Michigan Southern on the railfan wiki here under shortlines and click the discussion tab at the top. You can also search for the MSO on here and in the photo gallery. I usually search either 'White Pigeon' or 'Sturgis,' since Michigan and Southern are two very common words.

I also find it interesting to check in on or watch the Grand Elk interchange with the MSO at the US-131 crossing on the SW side of town. The GDLK 501 local job is responsible for the interchange, usually in the mid to late morning 5 days per week, I believe.

I heard once about how the trains are crewed. I think there are enough relief people available that the E&W and MSO can operate on the same day, but otherwise there's some sort of rotation. I forget exactly. Maybe someone can chime in.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

I went on a Thursday back in 2011 and saw nothing.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

railohio wrote:I went on a Thursday back in 2011 and saw nothing.
Was it Thanksgiving? :D

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Standard Railfan wrote:
railohio wrote:I went on a Thursday back in 2011 and saw nothing.
Was it Thanksgiving? :D
Probably not cause he got "skunked", not "turkeyed" :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

Tom
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tom »

They run frequently to international paper and Abbott. There are quite a few cars stored near the old Sturgis Depot currently and they seem to move them or add to them frequently. The line South of Sturgis is very quiet. I haven't seen anything at Miller's in a year. They did bring two hoppers to Bogen Road when they rebuilt the crossing this past summer. I work next to the tracks but got outside too late to see the train. The old passing siding that begins south of Fawn River road is still partially there; you can see the long ties where the switch was and the track is visible in front of Grumman Olson but there are buildings where that siding used to extend to the scrapyard.

There is still track past the state line, and a couple sidings past Miller's but the weed spraying stopped right at the state line so not sure of the status. I frequently see hi-rail (?) trucks running up and down the line, though. The scrapyard no longer gets rail service, but the tracks inside the yard are still in place. My office looks out onto the line.

I enjoy watching drivers get the cr@p scared out of them at the many ungated crossings on the east-west line. People do not even look. I almost get rear-ended whenever I stop. One guy even honked as he passed me, while I was stopped for an approaching train. That line must be hanging on by a thread now that Strugis-Coldwater is being abandoned. I bet one fatal at these crossings does them in within a year.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Thanks very much for the info guys!
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Speaking of Sturgis,

I was looking at Google maps today in Sturgis and decided to check out the railroad traffic in Sturgis.

I witness, on this particular map, only about 3 cars on the line east of town (two just east of the station, then another well east of that). Whenever the photo was taken, the MSO wasn't getting much in the way of storage revenue. On the line north of the diamond I saw 3 bulkhead flats that appeared empty. Two were together near McKee St while the 3rd was at the end of the storage tracks.

There was only 1 thing south of town. At the old Sturgis Iron and Metal was what appears to be a small switch engine.

Has SI&M completely shut their doors? The site looked nearly empty from what I could tell.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

One more comment / question. In the google maps image, it appears the business just south of Bogan rd, on the east side of the tracks has a recently built/renovated spur. The balast pops out as white, compared with all the nearby tracks being a dull gray. Was this to serve a customer, or does this company want to use the potential of rail to keep the trucks I've seen on the property honest?

The tracks appear to be in, although unused to Cabot Industrial, just north of the toll road (and south of the state line). When was the last time anything south of SI&M got service?

Tom
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tom »

chapmaja wrote:One more comment / question. In the google maps image, it appears the business just south of Bogan rd, on the east side of the tracks has a recently built/renovated spur. The balast pops out as white, compared with all the nearby tracks being a dull gray. Was this to serve a customer, or does this company want to use the potential of rail to keep the trucks I've seen on the property honest?

The tracks appear to be in, although unused to Cabot Industrial, just north of the toll road (and south of the state line). When was the last time anything south of SI&M got service?
SI&M is Omnisource. I take scrap there and have seen the tracks. I did not see any loco or rolling stock though. The guy I talked to said the last train was 3 yrs ago.

The white ballast is the siding at Millers. I have not seen anything there in 2 years but I think they get service seasonally.

The tracks are in all the way to the toll road, but the weed control stops south of Bogen road. Next time I'm at the junkyard I will take a look.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

From the Railroad Fan wiki MSO page:

Current interchange is with Grand Elk local 501, out of Kalamazoo, which happens at White Pigeon Jct. (US-131 crossing) Grand Elk 501 operates Mon-Fri.

Customers as of Fall, 2012: -White Pigeon Paper, White Pigeon, couple inbound tanks of slurry per week.

-Transload, White Pigeon, old wye east leg, logs and other products, as needed.

-International Paper, Sturgis, inbound paper rolls. Can put 4 standard size boxcars on their indoor spur off the PRR/GR&I just north of the diamond. Their spur off the Old Road west of the diamond has not been noted as in use recently. They get a switch every day MSO operates.

-Abbott Labs, Sturgis, at the present north-end of the GR&I in Sturgis. Another busy customer requiring a regular switch. Inbound tankcar loads.

-Transload, Sturgis, just north of the McKee St. crossing on the GR&I. Log transload. (fairly new)

-Frank Miller & Sons, Sturgis, near the Indiana state line at Bogan Road south on the GR&I. Last active customer on the PRR/GR&I south of town. Occasional inbound loads of ice melt product in covered hoppers.

-Car storage at White Pigeon and Sturgis, as needed, for additional revenue.

There are still spurs in at a few other industries along their line, which presently get no rail service.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

AS of this past summer, the E&W was operating on Tue & thur afternoon with the crew based out of Kendalville, In.