Why CSX was stopped at Salem Twp?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Why CSX was stopped at Salem Twp?

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

Train blocks Six Mile Road in Salem Township http://www.annarbor.com/news/six-mile-r ... on-tracks/ :?:
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Why CSX was stopped at Salem Twp?

Unread post by Saturnalia »

My guess is that this was E945 today discovering their bad orders. Makes sense because they reportedly set out the BOs in the siding at South Lyon.

Any thoughts about this comment:
Just another example of why buses are superior. Buses can detour arround traffic problems, including stopped trains. Trains are stuck on the tracks. No detours.

The specific cause information is rarely provided when trains fail. It must always wait until an investigation and the results are rarely published as news, or easy to find.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

brysonda
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by brysonda »

That comment might be someone that has a strong opinion regarding the proposed commuter train over the GLC trackage through Ann Arbor. Just a guess, but they seem to fall on the 'strongly opposed' side of the discussion.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

The news item (and I use that term loosely) sounds like it was written by a six year old.
Norm

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote:
Just another example of why buses are superior. Buses can detour arround traffic problems, including stopped trains. Trains are stuck on the tracks. No detours.

The specific cause information is rarely provided when trains fail. It must always wait until an investigation and the results are rarely published as news, or easy to find.
Alex, whoever wrote that is an idiot.

It comes from upbringing...his parents are probably idiots too. :twisted:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Doktor No wrote:It seems that perhaps LSRC is delivering Essexville empty trains to CSX with handbrakes applied on the rear of the train. Makes for flat wheels. They also give us locos with empty fuel tanks. Makes it somewhat problematic for them to get thru GRP without a refuel. And where is the engine house crew? Umm laid off, no one till morning. Next we'll be only a Self Serve station. Green Stamps anyone?
Have J&H's truck drive over...

dvtyler
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dvtyler »

First off let me begin by saying hello to everyone here... Long time lurker first time poster and i thank everyone for the wealth of information that i have received here. Grew up riding CN in the 1970's as my late father was a brakeman for them. Have always had a passion for trains!

As for the CSX train itself it took it almost an hour to get through South Lyon. Traffic was backed up for as far as the eye could see on 10 mile and Pontiac Trail. I sat watching it crawl for at least 45 minutes. When it came to a stop it was still parked on the main but it was great to see the two cabooses on the end. Haven't seen one of those in quite awhile. I only wish more trains would come through South Lyon!!!

Dave

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

J T wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:

I agree with you JT. It's just a typical, useless, and stupid article on a slow news day.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Chrisracer8903 wrote:
J T wrote:

[

I agree with you JT. It's just a typical, useless, and stupid article on a slow news day.
I was posting it knowing someone would say that. I pretty much agree with you, I just didn't want to be the first one to comment. Besides, I've done enough such venting recently, and figured someone else might want to give it a try :wink:

barnstormer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by barnstormer »

Doktor No wrote:It seems that perhaps LSRC is delivering Essexville empty trains to CSX with handbrakes applied on the rear of the train. Makes for flat wheels. They also give us locos with empty fuel tanks. Makes it somewhat problematic for them to get thru GRP without a refuel. And where is the engine house crew? Umm laid off, no one till morning. Next we'll be only a Self Serve station. Green Stamps anyone?
Actually, it was the 56th car with a problem. (the conductor who worked the job said they also had problems with the cabooses)

I have had the same problem out of flint, usually the air- or hand-brakes.

-barny