Western Lime at Port Inland

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
lemscate
Railroadfan...fan

Western Lime at Port Inland

Unread post by lemscate »

Talking about good timing.. Was heading up to the Range (Marquette, of course) this weekend, and this here open house set my timing on the way up.

The short story is Western Lime (based out of Wisconsin) built this small plant to piggyback off Oglebay Norton's limestone operations at Port Inland. They buy the stone from ON's quarry, screen it, and calcinate (bake) it to produce lime which they then load into trucks or covered hoppers to sell to paper mills and the like. It appears that they added a switchback spur to the Port Inland railroad at the port. Not sure how the cars get up to the WC interchange, though.

1: Overall view looking west. The limestone enters from the right into the UFO looking thing, where it is pushed into the kiln. The buildings on the left cool it, store it, and load it.

2: The stockpile. Stone comes from the far right end from ON, is stockpiled, and pulled out through a conveyor underneath to the left.

3: The conveyor under the stockpile.

4: Some hoppers waiting around with the one of Port Inland's SD20s in the background.

5: Stockpile and the loadout area.

6: Storage bin and loadout area. The stone comes from the kiln, dumps into the building on the right, and is stored or loaded into trucks or covered hoppers as needed.

7: The view inside the kiln.

I have more pictures if anyone is interested.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I'm interested in more pictures. Thanks lemscate.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

lemscate
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lemscate »

I've posted some more pictures, viewable here: http://www.railroadfan.com/gallery/thum ... ?album=815.

Ryan Anderson