A fallen flag a fallen gate and a diamond

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

A fallen flag a fallen gate and a diamond

Unread post by Big Frank »

I got lost yesterday and ran across this little Gem Note the Scrap yard is using the old interlocking tower as their offices kinda neat. heres the location i was at the gate is just to the west right before 96. http://binged.it/10HU650

Beating Up Foamer's and Rail Nerds Since 1981... I h8 u all!!!!

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Re: A fallen flag a fallen gate and a diamond

Unread post by Racer »

Cool catch at Fuller Diamond, Frank. I think that is part of the old Conrail Union Belt.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Proto48Patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Proto48Patrick »

What is the other boxcar?
Patrick Welch

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Big Frank »

Proto48Patrick wrote:What is the other boxcar?
Its a B&O box car
Beating Up Foamer's and Rail Nerds Since 1981... I h8 u all!!!!

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

The north/south line is Detroit Terminal West(?) and the east/west line CSX's Detroit West Branch. I think the Terminal West gets once a week service from CR's Livernois(?) yard and CSX's twice a week from Rougemere.

I watched the CSX Detroit West Branch 3-5x per week for 14 years from early 90's till late 2000's. Used to get daily service heavy with brick and lumber and syrup and other misc freight. Now its mostly scrap metal and syrup.

CR's Terminal West has been fairly consistent since the glass plant closed at once a week with the chemical plant getting 3ish cars per week (are they still open) and a few other cars here and there including brick.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

CSX works their branch Tuesday and Friday out of Oak Yard. A yard job runs from Rougemere to Oak the day before to deliver cars.

The job on the Shared Assets comes up from Livernois and runs via the connection at CP-Lou.

Ive managed to shoot photos of both trains running on the same day, which was a Tuesday.
Last edited by GTW6401 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

AARR wrote: CR's Terminal West has been fairly consistent since the glass plant closed at once a week with the chemical plant getting 3ish cars per week (are they still open) and a few other cars here and there including brick.
Friendship West Materials still gets 1-2 boxcars at times and Quaker Chemical is still around and (to my knowledge) receives a few tank cars at a time.

It appears that south of Fuller Diamond has most of the customers and consistent traffic. The biggest customer appears to be PVS Chemicals, especially since I have read online that they are actively expanding their rail facility to handle more traffic.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

First of all, just to be clear, this is Fullerton Junction, not Fuller (which is in Grand Rapids). So named as Fullerton Street is immediately adjacent to the diamond.

In 2008, the Conrail job that switched for Detroit West Belt (former Union Belt/PRR) was local LV-4. As mentioned, it runs out of Livernois via the CP-Lou connection in East Dearborn. I forget the yard symbol for the CSX West Detroit Branch job....Y121 maybe? Crazy to think that was the PM predecessor's original route into Detroit!

I always thought the two lines together would be a cool industrial short line operation. The transfer tracks at Fullerton Diamond would be useful!

Great photo set, too. Love that old Jade Green boxcar. What did you say about the old interlocking tower used at the scrap yard? I never noticed it....did you get any photos??

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:It appears that south of Fuller Diamond has most of the customers and consistent traffic. The biggest customer appears to be PVS Chemicals, especially since I have read online that they are actively expanding their rail facility to handle more traffic.
PVSW has a large plant on Terminal East but I wasn't aware of another location on Terminal West?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

AARR wrote:
Chrisracer8903 wrote:It appears that south of Fuller Diamond has most of the customers and consistent traffic. The biggest customer appears to be PVS Chemicals, especially since I have read online that they are actively expanding their rail facility to handle more traffic.
PVSW has a large plant on Terminal East but I wasn't aware of another location on Terminal West?
Yes, Don. PVS Nolwood Chemicals is located South of Fuller Junction. They currently have 2-3 spurs in their facility and receive various types of tank cars and covered hoppers.

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:
AARR wrote:
Yes, Don. PVS Nolwood Chemicals is located South of Fuller Junction. They currently have 2-3 spurs in their facility and receive various types of tank cars and covered hoppers.

Is that the place on Hubbell just north of Joy on the bing map? there is a spur along the main and one that curves west and splits. Looks to have quite a few tank cars on site, at least in that pic.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

The round top building in the junk yard was used to test airplane propellers for the planes that were built at Willowrun. I bet the guys in the yard office just east of that building felt safe every time they tested one. :D

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Couple Questions:

-When the Union Belt and Detroit Terminal were merged to form the Terminal West, how was it done? Was one track connected to the other then removed?

-What was the name of the diamond where the Detroit Terminal crossed the Union Belt and where it crossed the West Detroit Branch? Also where it crossed the Detroit Sub over Michigan Ave, where it diverges off now? We know where the Union Belt, now Terminal West crossed the West Detroit Branch is Fullerton.

-In 2009, when Conrail removed the Frasier passing track on the Terminal West making the new end of the line at Wyoming and not Cloverdale St anymore, what crossing were removed? I read 9 but the only 2 I could see were Cloverdale and Wyoming.

-Is LV-4 still the job that works the Terminal West on the west side from Livernois? How often do they run on that branch?

-Is LV-35 still the job that runs on the Oakman Spur? How often do they run there?

Thanks