Issue in GR?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
paperman
Railroadfan...fan

Issue in GR?

Unread post by paperman »

PCA in Manistee told CSX in GR was shutdown due to flooded bridge. Any other info?

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Re: Issue in GR?

Unread post by cnw8835 »

Flooding. The Grand River is up to the bottom of the bridge and still rising. See this... viewtopic.php?f=20&t=27299#p270777

paperman
Railroadfan...fan

Thank you, we have 20 cars of paper that need a ride. Looks like we are calling for truck traffic for next week.

barnstormer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by barnstormer »

Saugatuck Hill had a washout yesterday sometime, and I don't have any other info regarding it, unfortunately.

-barny

DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DLM »

Paperman,

What is the final destination of the loads? Midwest? East? South? West Coast? Is intermodal an option?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Amtrak #370 (and therefore 371) will not run tonight/tomorrow morning...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Here are two pictures from the USGS:
Flood 11 by MQT3001, on Flickr
Flood 12 by MQT3001, on Flickr

Before the flood, the river was around 5000 ft3 per second, and around 5ft.

paperman
Railroadfan...fan

DLM wrote:Paperman,

What is the final destination of the loads? Midwest? East? South? West Coast? Is intermodal an option?
can check but loads are headed to the west coast. Intermods are out as paper rolls are heavy. I think we get 8-10 on a truck. When stacking a car we pack them high and tight. We also ship a bunch of 110" tall rolls that only fit in cars.

DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DLM »

Paperman,

Use 40' containers. Since you are moving boxcar, transit is not a big issue. It is the cost per roll issue. 40' standard containers can handle 43,700 lbs. 40' highcubes can handle 42,200 lbs. They cost 40% less than an OTR truck to the west coast. I have moved lots of rolled paper loads. I can help you block and brace the rolls for intermodal transit.

Door opening on a 40' standard is 89" and 103" on a 40' highcube. How tall are the forklifts at each end?

You can PM me through this board or I can post my phone number. I have empty 40's sitting in Grand Rapids.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Doktor No wrote:Paperman, when the river goes down Monday nite the traffic will start to run again. I would think things will be running again by tuesday anyway.
And Amtrak is tieng up at Waverly Yard this weekend.
327 went west with the GRP yard power to park at Waverly. A second 327 will take toledo traffic to Chicago from Holland.
Don't even think of going near the RR bridge at Market for awhile. The RR police are watching the area and issuing tickets. He is standing there and people cross the police tape right in front of him, well a couple people did anyway. They got citations and then a reading lesson.
So does that mean Q334/Q335 might be gone for awhile?
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:
Doktor No wrote:Paperman, when the river goes down Monday nite the traffic will start to run again. I would think things will be running again by tuesday anyway.
327 went west with the GRP yard power to park at Waverly. A second 327 will take toledo traffic to Chicago from Holland.
Don't even think of going near the RR bridge at Market for awhile. The RR police are watching the area and issuing tickets. He is standing there and people cross the police tape right in front of him, well a couple people did anyway. They got citations and then a reading lesson.
I would assume they won't run until Lake Wyoming drains out.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

SD80MAC wrote:
Chrisracer8903 wrote:
I would assume they won't run until Lake Wyoming drains out.
I think CSX removing their yard power says a lot...

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

How is the Grand Elk doing in GR? Is Hughart still dry and the rest of their route south of town to Kalamazoo still open?
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

Most of the issues from Hurricane Katrina were due to stupidity and negligence..

PM1946
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PM1946 »

A drive down Market Street tonight revealed that although the cars have been removed from the RR bridge, it's still not in service as it is taped off. Anyone know when it will reopen? Perhaps it'll need some sort of structural inspection before it's deemed safe to use. Also, is the Pere Marquette still being parked at Waverly Yard?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

PM1946 wrote:A drive down Market Street tonight revealed that although the cars have been removed from the RR bridge, it's still not in service as it is taped off. Anyone know when it will reopen? Perhaps it'll need some sort of structural inspection before it's deemed safe to use. Also, is the Pere Marquette still being parked at Waverly Yard?
It has been said that it needs a full inspection, including underwater by divers. They will likely wait for the water to drop farther to do it.

370/371 have been parking in Wyoming Yard, so usual service has bee restored.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Probably the longest time with no rail traffic on the GRE & MQT lines ever...

Any idea how many backlogged cars are going to MQT when this is all over?

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Doktor No wrote: Kings was going to unload in Caledonia Farmers in Lake Odessa but the switch was MofW padlocked. Hopefully they take the lock off real real soon.
Too bad they removed the tracks between Elmdale and Lowell. :wink:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Doktor No wrote:I WOULD like to go to the Transflo/BIDS people and tell them the opportunity they are missing here but IF the got the business to Amway and Kings that could lead to the demise of the GRE...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

paperman
Railroadfan...fan

PCA has all of our cars full. Pretty packed without a ride out.