Rumor has it.......

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
pica
Railroadfan...fan

Rumor has it.......

Unread post by pica »

I was in Durand yesterday. According to some people I was talking to, there is suppose to be some track work in Indiana this summer and Norfolk Southern is suppose to be diverting rail traffic up thru Michigan past Durand. Might see increased rail traffic at Durand this summer if the rumor is true.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Rumor has it.......

Unread post by AARR »

And while CN is in such a charitable mood they are giving CSX trackage rights over their Mt Clemens Sub which will now see a pair of CSX local freights from their PH&D Sub as well as coal extras.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

pica wrote:I was in Durand yesterday. According to some people I was talking to, there is suppose to be some track work in Indiana this summer and Norfolk Southern is suppose to be diverting rail traffic up thru Michigan past Durand. Might see increased rail traffic at Durand this summer if the rumor is true.
Interesting rumor. I'll have to check it out with one of my contacts. OTOH, it seems like a long way around when they could cut a deal with CSX to use their routes through Ohio and Indiana.
Norm

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

Why would NS use CN-GTW when they can use the Nickel Plate? They can also use the B&O.

pica
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pica »

KenB wrote:Why would NS use CN-GTW when they can use the Nickel Plate? They can also use the B&O.
Don't know dude. Just telling what I heard.

Firemedic Mike
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Firemedic Mike »

I wonder if the big project in Indiana is the proposed triple tracking from Dunlap to Goshen. Some of their track equipment already seems to be pre-staging for it, and I could see that interrupting traffic on the busy line through Elkhart. That could make sense with traffic then being diverted to lighten the load....
I save lives. What do you do?

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

Oddly enough, I heard the same rumor. NS is going to route traffic off their Chicago Line and instead over the CN-GTW to Durand, then down the GLC and Ann Arbor to Toledo, then back onto NS, and vice versa. Gonna make for an interesting summer!
Last edited by NYCMan on Sun May 05, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

NYCMan wrote:Oddly enough, I heard the same rumor. NS is going to route traffic iff their Chicago Line and instead over the CN-GTW to Durand, then down the GLC and Ann Arbor to Toledo, then back onto NS, and vice versa. Gonna make for an interesting summer!
At that rate, they should use the CSX GR, GRT, PLY & SAG Subs!

If said rumor is true, I'll eat my hat. :wink:...if I had one!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard in some time, thanks for the laugh.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Yeah, right. Like Brent said, thanks for the laugh.
Bottom text.

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

99.9% of everything said in Durand is just pixie dust

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

Even if this is true, the biggest hurdle would probably be these lines are mostly single track. Especially for GLC and AA. In order for it to work, going based on a talk with a friend - they'd want to reroute trains only one way, otherwise they'd most likely have problems.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

AARR wrote:And while CN is in such a charitable mood they are giving CSX trackage rights over their Mt Clemens Sub which will now see a pair of CSX local freights from their PH&D Sub as well as coal extras.
Nonsense. CSX will be trading the PH&D to CN in return for some far-off, unknown to us line with potential equal to that of the PH&D. The transition has already begun- CN is throwing in some additional horsepower hours to sweeten the deal, using it's new second-hand units:

~ Charles W.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

CharlieX90 wrote:99.9% of everything said in Durand is just pixie dust
If 50% of the rumors I have ever heard at Durand were true CN would be averaging about 3-4 trains per hour, 24 hours per day, through Durand including unit coal trains and intermodal traffic that would rival BNSF's :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

NYCMan wrote:Oddly enough, I heard the same rumor. NS is going to route traffic off their Chicago Line and instead over the CN-GTW to Durand, then down the GLC and Ann Arbor to Toledo, then back onto NS, and vice versa. Gonna make for an interesting summer!
:lol: Who said this and what were they smoking :roll:

No way in heck this will happen, The GLC and AA are not meant to handle a lot of trains... and why do that? Deal with 4 different railroad or whatever, and you would only be going between 10-30mph the whole time when on the GLC and AA..

A lot of long slow train in Ann Arbor does not sound like a good thing at all.. and you could not send trains in 2 directions effectively at all over that route..

This whole Rumor where trains are coming into Michigan on these super longs reroutes just does not sound legit to me at all. (now if we start talking trains on the Michigan line then ill start talking :twisted: :lol: )
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote: This whole Rumor where trains are coming into Michigan on these super longs reroutes just does not sound legit to me at all. (now if we start talking trains on the Michigan line then ill start talking :twisted: :lol: )
Now THAT would be a ton more likely. Just be careful with the taller cars :wink:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

MQT3001 wrote:
YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote: This whole Rumor where trains are coming into Michigan on these super longs reroutes just does not sound legit to me at all. (now if we start talking trains on the Michigan line then ill start talking :twisted: :lol: )
Now THAT would be a ton more likely. Just be careful with the taller cars :wink:
Wouldn't a reroute over the Michigan Line still have them potentially using the AA line? Or would they just be better off at that point to go and get on the Detroit Line then? Just wondering.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

They would never use the AA, they would use the Detroit Line like all the Michigan line trains used to.

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

MagnumForce wrote:They would never use the AA, they would use the Detroit Line like all the Michigan line trains used to.
Just what I thought, thanks.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

iKJames wrote: Wouldn't a reroute over the Michigan Line still have them potentially using the AA line? Or would they just be better off at that point to go and get on the Detroit Line then? Just wondering.
They would not use the AA, they have rerouted over the Michigan line quite a few times, at least 4 since I can remember. It involves going up the Grand Elk to Kzoo, then over to Detroit to head to Toledo.

This is the lake shore from the last reroute:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63wiDfu1Wxw

anyway, worked ok (in terms of routing trains someplace they aren't supposed to be I guess) when NS owned the line, but now its Amtrak's (the states line) and might be a little bit more difficult to arrange. But there are places to meet trains on the Michigan line, and you would not go all the way up to Durand, on the Ann Arbor, or GLC. To me sounds second most realistic route if this all happens, behind using the CSX lines across Indiana and Ohio.

Where is the track work supposed to take place anyway? What line? that could be a factor... because if you cannot access Elkhart you can not use the MI-line (Grand Elk to Amtrak)... which might be why the would consider routing over the CN..

there are even options on NS for reroutes in Indiana

http://img.docstoccdn.com/thumb/orig/36760922.png
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown