Need Help To Identify Location

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
azimmer
Railroadfan...fan

Need Help To Identify Location

Unread post by azimmer »

I found this image on the newsgroup alt.binaries.pictures.rail and I wonder if anyone can identify the original location. The information indicates that the photograph was taken in September 1976. It shows a GTW steam locomotive and a roundhouse. Most likely everything has since been demolished.

In case the forum software reduces the image size, the full image is available at this link:

http://s21.postimg.org/n1fy0o7lz/GT6323 ... I_9_76.jpg

southshorepapa
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Need Help To Identify Location

Unread post by southshorepapa »

In Detroit- I think on the Detroit terminal yard somewhere on the east side. I have a very similar picture. Engine is 6323(?) think it was moved to Chicago.

azimmer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by azimmer »

southshorepapa wrote:In Detroit- I think on the Detroit terminal yard somewhere on the east side. I have a very similar picture. Engine is 6323(?) think it was moved to Chicago.
Yes, the name of the image, as shown in the link, indicates that it is GT6323 somewhere in Detroit.

At first, I also suspected it is the old Detroit Terminal yard, which used to be near Mound and McNichols at the site of the current state prison. But I thought that only the Detroit Terminal RR operated out of that yard and not GTW. Of course, I could be completely wrong.

Anyway, after searching for any info on GT6323, I find an image from 1961 showing the loco in its heyday:

The un-resized image is at this link:

http://s12.postimg.org/z7xwx53zh/GT6323 ... _04_61.jpg

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Milwaukee Jct?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

southshorepapa
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by southshorepapa »

Right- it was at mcnichols & mound. Engine was privately owned.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

A little off topic but... Was the 6323 the engine that was eventually scrapped by Metra for unpaid storage fees?
~ Charles W.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

azimmer wrote:I found this image on the newsgroup alt.binaries.pictures.rail....
I hope back in the 90s! :lol:

One of my favorite newsgroups back then was alt.binaries.pictures.fema.....oh, nevermind. :twisted:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

MKT_fan11 wrote:A little off topic but... Was the 6323 the engine that was eventually scrapped by Metra for unpaid storage fees?
That was GTW 5629

azimmer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by azimmer »

Actually, the location is Mound Road and Davison on Detroit's east side. It's just a bit north of McNichols.

The former Davison yard was immediately northeast of that intersection and remnants of the tracks can be clearly seen on the Bing Maps birdseye view of the location. (Google Maps must have an aerial view captured in the spring/summer months when foliage from scrub growth obscures the ground.)