Check this out I was in Durand, is a bc rail engine rare?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Check this out I was in Durand, is a bc rail engine rare

Unread post by AARR »

I wouldn't say rare but still its exciting to see them when they come through now and then. Congrats on your nice picture!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Toppysager »

I saw a BCrail engine over the weekend at Oak Harbor. It was on a CN powered train heading south towards Fremont. So yeah I would say its rare but not super rare. Sometimes it's just a matter of where you are, or where you see it.
I'll take a hotstot intermodal over a manifest any day

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

I'd put it this way: is it rare right now? Not particularly. Is it a nice catch? Yes. Are you going to be glad that you shot it ten years from now? Absolutely.

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JDavis21835 »

Ive been working in Port Huron at the old car shops for 3 weeks now. I have seen 1 BC Rail locomotive, and it may have been this one.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Seems pretty rare to lead, at least on this side of Chicago.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

Evan
Durand's Gingerbread Kid

Unread post by Evan »

BCOL C40-8Ms are a nice catch yes, 10 years from now, those units will likely be off the roster. That Red white and blue scheme is just cool!

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

The red, white, and blue units are far more rare than the dark blue units, especially with the C40-8Ms that could very well be replaced with CN's new order of EMDs and GEs coming in. Some of the C40-8Ms have been repainted in CN paint so who knows how long the locomotives themselves will last, but the paint scheme my disappear sooner.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:The red, white, and blue units are far more rare than the dark blue units, especially with the C40-8Ms that could very well be replaced with CN's new order of EMDs and GEs coming in. Some of the C40-8Ms have been repainted in CN paint so who knows how long the locomotives themselves will last, but the paint scheme my disappear sooner.
The only active blue/white units are the 4? C44-9W's that were delivered in that paint. There are far more red/white/blue C40-8M's (plus 3? C44-9WLs in r/w/b) still running around, even when you factor in the CN repaints.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Evan
Durand's Gingerbread Kid

Unread post by Evan »

SD80MAC wrote:
Chrisracer8903 wrote:The red, white, and blue units are far more rare than the dark blue units, especially with the C40-8Ms that could very well be replaced with CN's new order of EMDs and GEs coming in. Some of the C40-8Ms have been repainted in CN paint so who knows how long the locomotives themselves will last, but the paint scheme my disappear sooner.
The only active blue/white units are the 4? C44-9W's that were delivered in that paint. There are far more red/white/blue C40-8M's (plus 3? C44-9WLs in r/w/b) still running around, even when you factor in the CN repaints.
There are 10 Blue C44-9Ws (4645-4654) and 4 C44-9WLs (4640-4644) 4641, 4647, 4618, 4615 are all in Colors.

GTWChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWChris »

Evan wrote:There are 10 Blue C44-9Ws (4645-4654) and 4 C44-9WLs (4640-4644) 4641, 4647, 4618, 4615 are all in Colors.
The four C44-9WLs were delivered in red/blue/white. One of them has now been repainted to CN colors. Also, one of the blue C44-9Ws has been repainted to CN.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

JDavis21835 wrote:Ive been working in Port Huron at the old car shops for 3 weeks now. I have seen 1 BC Rail locomotive, and it may have been this one.
What's going on down there? We could see work being done from across the yard, but weren't sure if they were cleaning the site up or if something else was going on.

For the OP, the BCOL units aren't that rare in the area, but if you were elsewhere in the country (away from CN's lines), they would be. Regardless, there doesn't seem to be as many running around lately as there were a couple months ago, , so enjoy them while you can.
~ Charles W.

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan

Bc Rail 4612 just left the Port Huron yard running west. Didn't catch what was leading

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan

MKT_fan11 wrote:
JDavis21835 wrote:Ive been working in Port Huron at the old car shops for 3 weeks now. I have seen 1 BC Rail locomotive, and it may have been this one.
What's going on down there? We could see work being done from across the yard, but weren't sure if they were cleaning the site up or if something else was going on.
That is where the new intermodal yard and chemical incinerator is being built :lol: Due to contract agreements I cant disclose the work we are actually doing. I can tell you the work we are doing is work that should have been done when the buildings were demolished. As far as I know, the work being done has nothing to do with redevelopment of the site, and the site is still for sale.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

I'll take "What Is Brownfield Cleanup", for $100, Alex. :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

JDavis21835 wrote:Due to contract agreements I cant disclose the work we are actually doing.
No problem. We could see an excavator and a couple dump trucks from the PH&D property across the yard, but weren't sure if it was hazmat cleanup from the old shops or if there was something else going on that had nothing to do with the old GTW shops. Thanks for confirming what you were able to confirm.
~ Charles W.

legostudios34
The Lego Railfan

Unread post by legostudios34 »

I actually caught one of the BCOL C40-8Ms down here in Georgia today, thats gotta be really rare.
Baxter Barnes. 21. Alabama.
Meow. Now you know how to speak cat. -Flickr