More new signals on the Grand Rapids sub

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
J T
Hates Supper

Re: More new signals on the Grand Rapids sub

Unread post by J T »

Are gates really necessary there? Trains go what, about 5-10mph through that area?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

J T wrote:Are gates really necessary there? Trains go what, about 5-10mph through that area?
People, People, people. Gotta keep them off the tracks at train time!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote:
J T wrote:Are gates really necessary there? Trains go what, about 5-10mph through that area?
Gates won't keep them off the tracks there. The whole area is wide open to cross the tracks; gates will do little to nothing to deter people.

Someone else agrees with me: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27357&p=274256#p274256
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

J T wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:
Gates won't keep them off the tracks there. The whole area is wide open to cross the tracks; gates will do little to nothing to deter people.

Someone else agrees with me: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27357&p=274256#p274256
It adds another line of reasoning to the railroad's "they shouldn've been on the tracks" agrument should someone get hit, at the very least. It is still a fairly busy crossing in general.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Couple of observations on this, 1. do the signal equipment manufacturers even offer "lights only" as an option? 2. With the gates/light combo being the "default" installation in this day an age, imagine the outrage/lawsuits if someone got hit at a crossing with "only" lights - when better protection is available and used elsewhere....

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote:It is still a fairly busy crossing in general.
And one that I've driven over dozens of times...and I still don't believe, IMO, that gates are necessary there. But that's just my grown up opinion. :wink:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

J T wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:It is still a fairly busy crossing in general.
And one that I've driven over dozens of times...and I still don't believe, IMO, that gates are necessary there. But that's just my grown up opinion. :wink:
Are gates needed at Franklin in G-ville? Are they needed on those country roads north of Saugatuck? There are lots of places where they might not be needed...and of all those places left on the GR sub, St. Joseph is far from the worst contender.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

It's pretty hard to re-signal a crossing these days without installing gates.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote: Are gates needed at Franklin in G-ville? Are they needed on those country roads north of Saugatuck?
Of course, due to the speeds being much faster at those crossings. Logic dictates that.

Are gates needed at 8th Street in Holland and all the non-gated crossings through town to the south? I don't view the crossing in St. Joe any different.
SD80MAC wrote:It's pretty hard to re-signal a crossing these days without installing gates.
Well, if they don't make crossing signals any more without gates attached to them, then that explains it.
Last edited by J T on Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

They probably have to put gates on them because, let's face it, common sense isn't so common anymore.
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MSchwiebert wrote:Couple of observations on this, 1. do the signal equipment manufacturers even offer "lights only" as an option? 2. With the gates/light combo being the "default" installation in this day an age, imagine the outrage/lawsuits if someone got hit at a crossing with "only" lights - when better protection is available and used elsewhere....
You can get anything you want, if you're willing to spend the money. SafeTRANS still offers mechanical searchlights (last I knew it was $10K for one) if you REALLY want to install them. You can also get the head configuation anyway you want it with brackets. You want a PRR style Position Light, they'll hook you up.

Anyway, they make 'flasher only' crossing protection. You'll see those used in the median side of gates and whatnot. But, most signal projects just default to the gates and flashers. State throws money at the projects, and I'm sure they're 'standards' factor in to the installation too. By the time I left the Garrett Sub in 2005 for greener pastures, I think there were only 1 or 2 'unimproved crossings' (one was in Fostoria just west of F Tower). Of the 'improved' ones, I think only a couple didn't have flashers AND gates on them. In addition, they had closed a lot of the lesser used crossings altogether. Crossing protection on the St. Louis line gets flashers and gates, and some of the roads aren't used by much more than farmers between fields.

Practice Safe CSX

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Jochs wrote:They probably have to put gates on them because, let's face it, common sense isn't so common anymore.
The real problem is, "survival of the fittest" is being phased out of society, removing all responsibility of having common sense. :lol: :twisted:

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Heh heh...

Trainman223
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Trainman223 »

J T wrote:
Jochs wrote:They probably have to put gates on them because, let's face it, common sense isn't so common anymore.
The real problem is, "survival of the fittest" is being phased out of society, removing all responsibility of having common sense. :lol: :twisted:
Ain't that the truth! :lol:

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

JT- That photo Rocks. :lol:

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

It sounds like maintainers will be getting time shortly to place the second signal at Ivanrest on its base.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

It is my assumption that this was not meant to be taken as a signal roster shot, just she'll do just fine to indicate the new Ivanrest signal on two. Thanks to Jim Guest :)
P371 East, Lamar by Jim Guest, on Flickr

I'll mention here that I'm very Envyous of your's and SD80MAC's 371 shots today. Tried and failed to make it :x

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

As noted in the New AMTK Station thread, it sounds like there will NOT be CTC on the main through Wyoming Yard.

One thing I was wondering after chasing #370 tonight has to deal with the signals already installed. Now, my understanding is the intermediates, after the train passes, show an approach aspect after the train passes in the opposite direction, so as you can see it from the rear of said train. But after #370 whized by 64th St and I, I noticed that Vriesland showed a clear aspect. And then a little later, Port Jenison (or 9) showed an Approach.

Anyone know why this is? Or has anyone else seen this someplace else?

Typhoon
Rock you like a Hurricane

Unread post by Typhoon »

The intermediate signal indications depend on how the nearest absolute is lined.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Typhoon wrote:The intermediate signal indications depend on how the nearest absolute is lined.
So Vriesland would be Green because Zeeland is between that and 112th? That makes since.