Michigan Shortline Motive Power Question?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Michigan Shortline Motive Power Question?

Unread post by JStryker722 »

Given that in recent years more and more Shortlines and regionals are buying new(ish) locomotives,which Michigan lines could you see buying new(ish) locomotives?
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

Evan
Durand's Gingerbread Kid

Re: Michigan Shortline Motive Power Question?

Unread post by Evan »

HESR and LSRC. Maybe GLC. Really depends on what you define as new?

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

New locomotives as in Wide-cabs like the GE Dash-9 through ES44AC and the SD70 series from EMD

TSB
peon

Unread post by TSB »

None. Too radical a change in parts and tool inventory.
5 years on college faculties
34 years working on railroads

RR is more fun

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

TSB wrote:None. Too radical a change in parts and tool inventory.
Mr TSB, did you ever look into or consider a different locomotive other than the GP35 for your railroad in the 14ish years or so you owned it?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TSB
peon

Unread post by TSB »

Did consider but never pulled the trigger.

RR is more fun

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Wait,Mr. TSB really is the former owner of what is now the GLC?! = D

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

JStryker722 wrote:Wait,Mr. TSB really is the former owner of what is now the GLC?! = D
Yes, TSBY from approx. 1991/2 to 2006.

What types did you consider, Mr. TSB?

Only railroads that may have justified big modern power is HESR (CMGN segment from Bay City to Durand) and MQT IMHO.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TSB
peon

Unread post by TSB »

We looked at a few as they became available but the most interest involved discussions
with Boise Locomotive about second shifting our shop and joint venturing an eastern
division of their operation. We went to Boise and their shop was very impressive. Talks
broke-off.

We also talked with another builder that I don't care to name.

RR is more fun

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Well then,it's quite an honor to have you answer my forum questions,TSB! :) it's not too often 20 year old boys meet business owners,especially in the industry I long want to work for. Lol

Not to get off subject but TSB,what made the GP35 the perfect choice for your railroad? I'm guessing the fact you had some of the original AA's GP35s at start up may have had something to do with but were there other factors?

Back to subject: I can see ya'lls answer of the MQT as warranting new power if they spent the money,but why the HESR instead of the LSRC when it comes to thumb region railroads?

TSB
peon

Unread post by TSB »

The 35s were not the perfect choice. They were the hand that I was dealt. I would have been
happier without the turbos.

RR is more fun

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

JStryker722 wrote:Back to subject: I can see ya'lls answer of the MQT as warranting new power if they spent the money,but why the HESR instead of the LSRC when it comes to thumb region railroads?
I don't feel there is any short line in MI that warrants a $3 million engine. but I through out MQT and HESR (the line from Durand to Bay City) as possibilities because of their heavy traffic.

However, even though MQT has the tonnage the 100 mile trip and only one trip a day would make the investment less than fruitful.

And in HESR's case they are down to 50ish car trains (used to be closer to 100) and only 50 miles to Durand (from Bay City) and 15 miles to Midland (but only 30ish cars) does not make large modern power a good investment.

To justify the expense a regional or short line needs heavy tonnage and long distances to get a return on the $3 million pay out.

Trainman223
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Trainman223 »

TSB wrote:The 35s were not the perfect choice. They were the hand that I was dealt. I would have been
Why would you have been happier without the turbochargers?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Trainman223 wrote:
TSB wrote:The 35s were not the perfect choice. They were the hand that I was dealt. I would have been
Why would you have been happier without the turbochargers?
Turbo Chargers add cost to the maintenance of the locomotive and also need replacing every five (?) years at $15,000-$20,000 each.

The primary advantage of the turbo is fuel efficiency and speed.

Pulling power for a turbo vs. non-turbo is about the same (ex. GP38-2 and GP40-2 are exactly the same). However, there is an upfront cost to de-turbo engines and to date the operators of the GP35's have not felt it would pay off to do so.

On a railroad that doesn't need to run at 40mph or higher the additional cost does not pay off plus the engines are only running around 100-200 miles per day. Railroads that gain efficiencies from the turbo usually run their engines double or triple that at higher speeds.

So for a railroad like TSBY/GLC a non-turbo engine (like a GP38) is just fine.

Mr. TSB - is that assessment fairly accurate?

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

JStryker722 wrote:Well then,it's quite an honor to have you answer my forum questions,TSB! :) it's not too often 20 year old boys meet business owners,especially in the industry I long want to work for. Lol

Not to get off subject but TSB,what made the GP35 the perfect choice for your railroad? I'm guessing the fact you had some of the original AA's GP35s at start up may have had something to do with but were there other factors?

Back to subject: I can see ya'lls answer of the MQT as warranting new power if they spent the money,but why the HESR instead of the LSRC when it comes to thumb region railroads?
Keep in mind there are more railroaders on the board than you might think. MQT is not going to get new power. You can have all the locomotives in the world pulling a million cars, but will the railroad allow it? No. What we run is about maxed out for the railroad. New traffic will warrent running additonal trains. More trains, more locomotive of the same type, so when stuff breaks you can work on it and have parts onhand.

All the units we have, most parts are interchangable. Plus when mixed and matched, for the most part, all work well when MU'ed together.

Trainman223
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Trainman223 »

With a Diesel two stroke engine, there still has to be some sort of forced aspiration in order for it to work properly. GP38s and others like it have blowers, which is a form of supercharging.

TSB
peon

Unread post by TSB »

[/quote]

....Keep in mind there are more railroaders on the board than you might think....

[/quote]

Some very good ones too. Everything I know about things that don't happen in the corner office
I learned by spending a lot of time around those that worked with me and keeping my mouth shut
and my ears open.

In the corner office I just guessed.

RR is more fun

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

TSB wrote:Some very good ones too. Everything I know about things that don't happen in the corner office
I learned by spending a lot of time around those that worked with me and keeping my mouth shut
and my ears open.

In the corner office I just guessed.
I work for a corner office guy. Nice guy but he does a lot of guessing rather than using experience to make decisions. Guess who is inconvenienced when the corner office guy is wrong...not the corner office guy...it's us in the field.

TSB
peon

Unread post by TSB »

Sorry Don. I will try to do better next life.

RR is more fun

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

I will say talking to you guys,especially TSB,AARR,MQT3001,and others have been more insightful into my hobby and career choice that I have always wanted than my own dad was watching trains with him. There is so much I want to learn from you guys.