LSJ 5/8/11 Lansing's Old Town Spur Opens in 2 or 3 weeks

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
J T
Hates Supper

Re: LSJ 5/8/11 Lansing's Old Town Spur Opens in 2 or 3 weeks

Unread post by J T »

UncleRaul wrote:I'm assuming there's no news here? Wonder what gives?
I took a drive by there yesterday and things looked the same as Larry G's photos from June. Well, not really the same...but actually MORE overgrown.

Looking north from Clinton St:

Looking north from Beaver St with North St crossing signal in the background:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Maybe there are a few JAIL folks having a good laugh over this thread :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

UncleRaul
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by UncleRaul »

AARR wrote:Maybe there are a few JAIL folks having a good laugh over this thread :lol:
Agreed. The whole thing was a hoax to give railfans a major case of the blueballs.

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

Was on the sight this evening weeds very high between the rails by the Tower. Two weeks have turned into two years!!! However there was an old E or F unit and an old coach in the CSX yard up Turner Street three of four blocks from the tower location. Otherwise this yard is Empty.
"If I Harp at you, it is only to Spur you on!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Larry G wrote:Was on the sight this evening weeds very high between the rails by the Tower. Two weeks have turned into two years!!! However there was an old E or F unit and an old coach in the CSX yard up Turner Street three of four blocks from the tower location. Otherwise this yard is Empty.
The loco and coach are from the old Coe Rail/Airline. Been there since shortly after the abandonment. I believe they went to Toledo then to Grand Rapids then out to Lansing, and have not moved since...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

brysonda
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by brysonda »

Larry G wrote:Was on the sight this evening weeds very high between the rails by the Tower.
There is a half broken tree limb that has been obstructing the line near North St. since earlier this spring. They would likely need to do a bit of repair at the beginning of the spur just to get stuff onto it at Turner St. There is a rather severe dip in the rails on the west side of the grade crossing. I would love to see a bit of business develop, but no signs indicate that it is actually happening.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

MQT3001 wrote:
Larry G wrote:Was on the sight this evening weeds very high between the rails by the Tower. Two weeks have turned into two years!!! However there was an old E or F unit and an old coach in the CSX yard up Turner Street three of four blocks from the tower location. Otherwise this yard is Empty.
The loco and coach are from the old Coe Rail/Airline. Been there since shortly after the abandonment. I believe they went to Toledo then to Grand Rapids then out to Lansing, and have not moved since...
If ramblings are true, in a few weeks that F Unit won't be there and neither will the coach.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

TrainWatcher wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:
If ramblings are true, in a few weeks that F Unit won't be there and neither will the coach.
The Greenbank has been gone for about a year, James. What other coach could be there? All that came off the MAL for Lansing was the F Unit, Greenbank, 1512, and the caboose. Greenbank was sold and left last summer, 1512 and the caboose went somewhere this past summer, and the F unit is what's left of the MAL. The Vista Cavern was scrapped on-site in Wixom.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

"If I Harp at you, it is only to Spur you on!

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

Adrian and Blissfield/JAIL have at least updated the crossbuck signs with their data plates that have their phone number for reporting blocked crossings, and I think even put up a new crossbuck in old town. Just noticed them recently. Maybe I should call and report it when people park on the tracks in old town! :lol:
Nick

j32885
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by j32885 »

The latest update on Lansing's "Old Town" line, is that NIMBY's, Hippies, and Eco-Friendly people don't want the line reactivated in fear of destroying the environment. :roll: Currently, ADBF-JAIL still owns this property. :|

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Have those idiots given any examples of how it would destroy the environment? Do those idiots also realize that the infrastructure they willingly (and happily) use every day has come as a result of environmental destruction? GD hypocrites...all of them.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Another "possible" reason the spur is not built is a disagreement over who will pay for rehabbing it
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

j32885 wrote:The latest update on Lansing's "Old Town" line, is that NIMBY's, Hippies, and Eco-Friendly people don't want the line reactivated in fear of destroying the environment. :roll:
No headline there. If the greenies have their way we'll all be freezing in the dark.
Norm

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

I find it ironic that the Greenies/Hippies are resisting reactivation of this spur.
The spur serves a steel scrapyard and cardboard recycler called Friedland Industries. So, they are hampering a recycler and forcing their business to less efficient and more polluting trucks. That kind of defines irony doesn't it.
RR Pass Collector

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

AARR wrote:Another "possible" reason the spur is not built is a disagreement over who will pay for rehabbing it
Not built?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

J T wrote:
AARR wrote:Another "possible" reason the spur is not built is a disagreement over who will pay for rehabbing it
Not built?
:lol: Image

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

I dont understand how NIMBYs can have any say when it comes to existing rail lines. Building something completely new is one matter, but to reuse infastructure that is already in place, KNOWING that the rail line could be used at any time? Just because the Old Town spur hasnt been used in a few years, now all of a sudden its outrageous that a railroad wants to use a railroad track! I dont understand. :?
Nick

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

AARR wrote:
J T wrote:
Not built?
:lol: Image
That should be JT's avatar for the week..seriously :lol: :wink:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

Freidland still wants the service but being a "good" neighbor has more or less bowed to the neighbors wishes. There is nothing to prevent JAIL from resuming service if they wished to.