LSJ 5/8/11 Lansing's Old Town Spur Opens in 2 or 3 weeks

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
J T
Hates Supper

Re: LSJ 5/8/11 Lansing's Old Town Spur Opens in 2 or 3 weeks

Unread post by J T »

AARR wrote:
J T wrote:
AARR wrote:Another "possible" reason the spur is not built is a disagreement over who will pay for rehabbing it
Not built?
:lol: Image

:?: :?: :?:

I was just asking why you said "not built." Did you think a new ROW had to be created or something?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

J T wrote:
AARR wrote:I was just asking why you said "not built." Did you think a new ROW had to be created or something?
Sorry J T, I thought you were ribbing me about the wording I used. Yes, I know the track is in place it just needs serious rehabbing.

Everyone is blaming the NIMBY's and calling them names but they may not be the reason the track is not rehabbed yet. Let me put it this way, someone has to pay to rehab the track and if no one can agree then it won't get built and the NIMBY's will not even have an opportunity to protest.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

AARR wrote: Sorry J T, I thought you were ribbing me about the wording I used. Yes, I know the track is in place it just needs serious rehabbing.

Everyone is blaming the NIMBY's and calling them names but they may not be the reason the track is not rehabbed yet. Let me put it this way, someone has to pay to rehab the track and if no one can agree then it won't get built and the NIMBY's will not even have an opportunity to protest.
Gotcha. I don't think the NIMBYs have a case to fight the reactivation of this spur even if they believe they do. The rails are in place and if the railroad needs to do business with the company at the end of those rails, then they have the right to. It's THEIR property, not the NIMBYs. Trucks roll through north Lansing and pollute the area every day, not to mention tear up the streets. Why aren't those dorks beyatching about that??

If the track is never rehabbed due to monetary issues, well that's another matter.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

J T wrote:
AARR wrote: Sorry J T, I thought you were ribbing me about the wording I used. Yes, I know the track is in place it just needs serious rehabbing.

Gotcha. I don't think the NIMBYs have a case to fight the reactivation of this spur even if they believe they do. The rails are in place and if the railroad needs to do business with the company at the end of those rails, then they have the right to. It's THEIR property, not the NIMBYs. Trucks roll through north Lansing and pollute the area every day, not to mention tear up the streets. Why aren't those dorks beyatching about that??

If the track is never rehabbed due to monetary issues, well that's another matter.
Here here, JT!!

I know they have a spur, but did Freidland ship by rail before? If they did, when and why did they stop?
Nick

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

GrandTrunkFan wrote:I know they have a spur, but did Freidland ship by rail before? If they did, when and why did they stop?
Yes, I recall seeing box cars there. As for when they last shipped I can only guess but it seems like as of 10-12 years ago they were still shipping by rail.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Pardon my ignorance, but where is Freidland?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

J T wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but where is Freidland?
http://friedlandindustries.com/ I'm not familiar enough with Lansing to provide a better explanation but I hope this helps. Lansing is one of those cities I know my way around through memory but don't know what all the different areas/roads are called.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Oh, never mind. For some reason I was thinking the business at the end of that spur in Old Town was Padnos, even though I know there's a Padnos over off of Willow that gets rail service.

brysonda
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by brysonda »

Yeah, the J&L Z646 heads over to Padnos a few times a week.

Mike H
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mike H »

And Padnos hate the service too. They purposely truck scrap to other yards such as Grand Rapids to be shipped out by rail. Padnos has a lot of empty trucks running back to GR so it doesn't cost much to backhaul the scrap.

Mike H

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Mike H wrote:And Padnos hate the service too. They purposely truck scrap to other yards such as Grand Rapids to be shipped out by rail. Padnos has a lot of empty trucks running back to GR so it doesn't cost much to backhaul the scrap.

Mike H
Padnos in Lansing? Aren't they serviced by JAIL?

Mike H
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mike H »

Yes & they do ship with JAIL to mostly NS destinations. They do ship to a CN destination occasionally, but most of that material gets trucked to Grand Rapids & then is shipped via CSX to CN at Chicago. I don't think Padnos in Lansing has anything that goes out to CSX, but I don't know that for sure.

Mike H

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

Friedland shipped several loads of scrap iron daily for decades and then added cardboard in box cars. They then shipped just cardboard for a while until that ended a decade or so ago. They last shipped 5 loads of scrap steel in March and April of 2004.