Need Help with Location

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
azimmer
Railroadfan...fan

Need Help with Location

Unread post by azimmer »

I picked up this image on the Usenet group alt.binaries.pictures.rail. The information specifies that it is from Detroit in August 1978. Does anyone recognize the location? I have never seen those towers in the background anywhere before and they must be long demolished. My first guess would be Livernois yard.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: Need Help with Location

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

My guess would also be Livernois - largest NYC yard in the state. But that huge sander looks similar to one that was at Collinwood near Cleveland.....

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

That's Livernois yard. Collinwood had/has a different set up but similuar.

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

Livernois Yard.... How well I recognize that location, as I worked there for 10 of my 43 years on the railroad. The leftmost track is the Waycar Track. Not seen in the photo, but to the left side is the Turntable and Roundhouse. How I miss that location and the many colorful characters that I met during my railroading years. It brings tears to my eyes. That was when railroading was truly railroading.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

azimmer wrote:I picked up this image on the Usenet group alt.binaries.pictures.rail.
Geez...I haven't been on that newsgroup since about 1997. Do usenet newsgroups still exist??
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

azimmer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by azimmer »

Thanks for the replies.

Livernois yard sure has been gutted over the past few decades, but it's still the only location that can bring back a little of what railroading used to be like in the Detroit region. Maybe the construction of the Detroit Intermodal Terminal (if it ever happens) at the site can restore some of the former glory.
J T wrote:[Do usenet newsgroups still exist??
They're still alive and kicking. They could be much better, however, if people would not be such slaves to fashion and participate more in the legacy methods. In many ways, Usenet beats web forums hands down. There is no reason why there couldn't/shouldn't be an "alt.binaries.railroading.detroit" group.