Fife Lake GLC action

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Fife Lake GLC action

Unread post by KVERBERK »

Just wanted to report I saw the train come trough Fife Lake today. First time I have caught them in a couple weeks. GP35's 392 and 394 were in the lead. Two large coverd hoppers and about six cement hoppers headed north.

I was suprised when they were headed back south just 3 1/2 hours later. it ususally takes 4 1/2 to 5 hours to get back. Southbound consist was about 6 cement hoppers and 3 tanks picked up in Kalkaska. well thats all for now.

Kyle
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Just a guess but if the large covered hoppers were delivered to Mancelona rather than Petoskey then they would have turned at Elmira reducing their trip by 54 miles (round trip from Elmira to Petoskey)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Thanks for the update. I've never fanned the GLC north of Walton Junction before. The biggest reason I've done so much of the line west of Cadillac is that it runs right through the back yard of my grandmother, who I visit every couple of months.

Do you fish Fife Lake? I used to pull 11 inch perch and slab bluegills out of there 20 years ago with some regularity.

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

Unread post by TrainNut85 »

Hey Kyle you're not the only one that caught some GLC action. Both the GMTX locos #2675 and #2663, along with #391, went thru here in Clare, but then came back but except this time had #392 with the GMTX locos.

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KVERBERK »

Don Simon wrote:Just a guess but if the large covered hoppers were delivered to Mancelona rather than Petoskey then they would have turned at Elmira reducing their trip by 54 miles (round trip from Elmira to Petoskey)
you're probablu right I have seen hoppers on a sidding in mancelona. do you happen to know what they load there?

Kyle
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The large covered hoppers you see in Mancelona are filled with plastic pellets and are unloaded into trucks for East Jordan Plastics which makes horticultural containers.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...