Coolest Railroad Bridge in Michigan?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Pete Mayor
Railroadfan...fan

Coolest Railroad Bridge in Michigan?

Unread post by Pete Mayor »

Just curious as to what anyone considers the most worthwhile railroad bridge in the state, active or inactive. I'm a big fan of the one in Newaygo and Grand Ledge is cool too for example.
"I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don’t have as many people who believe it.
"

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Coolest Railroad Bridge in Michigan?

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Thornapple River on the CSX Plymouth Sub, no question:

Favorite defunct bridge is the old PM bridge south of TC...cannot recall its exact location...was once the biggest RR bridge in the state.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Pete Mayor
Railroadfan...fan

I was gonna mention that one but wanted to see how quickly someone would bring it up. Excellent choice! 8)
"I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don’t have as many people who believe it.
"

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I will say the bridge in Grand Ledge is cooler. Taller, longer and more dramatic looking what with the stone cliffs and all.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

The HESR bridge in Saginaw is my favorite. Its easy to access and very photogenic.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

No way I can pick one:

1. Grand Ledge is a cooler bridge, but Thornapple is so much easier to shoot.

2. The swing bridge at St Joe

3. The drawbridge / lift bridge combo at Sault Ste Marie

4. The Michigan Central's stone arches. There's the little one over the creek at Mason, and the bigger one over the road in Dexter, maybe more?

5. Brush st E of the Detroit Amtrak station gets an honorable mention, right Pete? :D

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

Dead River Bridge on the LS&I!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

SD80MAC wrote:I will say the bridge in Grand Ledge is cooler. Taller, longer and more dramatic looking what with the stone cliffs and all.
I've never made it down there, but I have seen pictures. Is there a way to get down to the river and shoot it these days?

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

The bridge on the branch to Hamilton is one of my favorites. Does CSX still own this track, or are they just the operator on behalf of the owner the mill in Hamilton at the end of the line?

Pete Mayor
Railroadfan...fan

Dan Cluley wrote:
5. Brush st E of the Detroit Amtrak station gets an honorable mention, right Pete? :D

I almost posted that pic myself!
"

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

jimnorthwood wrote:The bridge on the branch to Hamilton is one of my favorites. Does CSX still own this track, or are they just the operator on behalf of the owner the mill in Hamilton at the end of the line?
Its my understanding the mill owns the line and pays CSX to operate on it. Maybe someone can confirm. Service is usually once a week but I've heard they may make a second trip now and then.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

AARR wrote:
jimnorthwood wrote:The bridge on the branch to Hamilton is one of my favorites. Does CSX still own this track, or are they just the operator on behalf of the owner the mill in Hamilton at the end of the line?
Its my understanding the mill owns the line and pays CSX to operate on it. Maybe someone can confirm. Service is usually once a week but I've heard they may make a second trip now and then.
CSX owns the branch north of the bridge. CSX threatened to abandon because they did not want to maintain the bridge, but the elevator decided they wanted rail service enough to buy the bridge and pay CSX to serve them.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Dead river wins hands down all day long.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

MQT3001 wrote:
Favorite defunct bridge is the old PM bridge south of TC...cannot recall its exact location...was once the biggest RR bridge in the state.
Near Mesick ?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

MQT3001 wrote:
AARR wrote:
CSX owns the branch north of the bridge. CSX threatened to abandon because they did not want to maintain the bridge, but the elevator decided they wanted rail service enough to buy the bridge and pay CSX to serve them.
CSX ownership actually ends near the south side of Holland, I forget exactly which milepost.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Pete Mayor
Railroadfan...fan

Anyone have a pic of the Dead River bridge?
"

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:I will say the bridge in Grand Ledge is cooler. Taller, longer and more dramatic looking what with the stone cliffs and all.
I've never made it down there, but I have seen pictures. Is there a way to get down to the river and shoot it these days?
Yes. And my vote goes to the bridge in Hamilton. While the Thornapple bridge pales in comparison to the Grand Ledge bridge, there's nothing quite like an 1800s-era, high wooden trestle. I find them to be the most photogenic amongst railroad bridges.

I suppose it would be like debating wooden roller coasters over steel roller coasters. :D
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

This photo does no justice to how big this bridge is but gives you a good idea, dead river a few years ago. http://glc-392.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... id=2744533

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

That's a cool bridge. I'd love to see it someday but I doubt I'll find my way into the UP any time in the near future...or ever.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

Notch 8 wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:
Near Mesick ?
High Bridge over the Manistee River near Kaleva.