Military Train To Where?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
azimmer
Railroadfan...fan

Military Train To Where?

Unread post by azimmer »

On the Usenet newsgroup there is a series of photos dated 3/2012 showing a northbound military train through Novi. Here is a single image from that series:

Where is this train going? My guess would be Camp Grayling. However, I have scoured the Google maps for Camp Grayling and I can't see a place where such a train could be unloaded. Maybe I just don't know what to look for.

What tracks lead from Novi, which is CSX territory, to Camp Grayling? IOW, how would the train get there?

Considering all the rail line closures and abandonments, especially in northern Michigan, one would think that rail service to Camp Grayling could not be guaranteed for the future.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Military Train To Where?

Unread post by Saturnalia »

To CSX Flint, hand off the LSRC who takes it via Saginaw and Pinconning to Grayling. Not much shipping that way the last several years.

The State owns the Mackinac Sub north of Pinconning (IIRC), so I don't think there is much danger of abandonment...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Link to the spot in Grayling where they can unload, loop track even: http://binged.it/1jymWjW
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

azimmer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by azimmer »

MQT3001 wrote:Not much shipping that way the last several years...
In the future, then, the only reason to keep that line open will be to service Camp Grayling. Would that be a fair statement?

Otherwise we'll be seeing military convoys on I-75.

azimmer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by azimmer »

~Z~ wrote:Link to the spot in Grayling where they can unload, loop track even: http://binged.it/1jymWjW
Even though that seems the likliest place, there are no roads going from there to the camp itself, which is about 7 miles southeast. Any convoy of vehicles would have to be sent through the city of Gaylord.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

azimmer wrote:
~Z~ wrote:Link to the spot in Grayling where they can unload, loop track even: http://binged.it/1jymWjW
Even though that seems the likliest place, there are no roads going from there to the camp itself, which is about 7 miles southeast. Any convoy of vehicles would have to be sent through the city of Gaylord.
Gotta look at the map a little more azimmer... Camp is northeast of Grayling, and there's even a path labeled that goes from the loop track out to Camp Grayling that's called "Army Tank Trail"....gotta assume they use that trail to move the tanks.
azimmer wrote:
In the future, then, the only reason to keep that line open will be to service Camp Grayling. Would that be a fair statement?

MQT meant not a lot of military shipments lately, which who knows if that's true. There's customers in Grayling and Gaylord, LSRC runs up there at least weekly, so there's definitely business in the area. Browsing the map shows railcars at quite a few businesses in that area.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

~Z~ wrote:MQT meant not a lot of military shipments lately, which who knows if that's true. There's customers in Grayling and Gaylord, LSRC runs up there at least weekly, so there's definitely business in the area. Browsing the map shows railcars at quite a few businesses in that area.
I am guilty of inference here. A few years ago around the time I joined I recall chatter about shipments up there, but I have not read a thing on any rail activity out of there on either boards in a long time. There are several people in the area who post their findings, but nothing on military. Not to say there hasn't been, but...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

~Z~ wrote:
azimmer wrote:
Gotta look at the map a little more azimmer... Camp is northeast of Grayling, and there's even a path labeled that goes from the loop track out to Camp Grayling that's called "Army Tank Trail"....gotta assume they use that trail to move the tanks.
azimmer wrote:

MQT meant not a lot of military shipments lately, which who knows if that's true. There's customers in Grayling and Gaylord, LSRC runs up there at least weekly, so there's definitely business in the area. Browsing the map shows railcars at quite a few businesses in that area.

That is the right spot i believe, Z, at the airport, where they unload. I have seen flats with equipment on them there in the past IIRC. And I think they do just drive the unloaded vehicles thru the northwest end of Grayling and take 93 out to the Camp. Not sure but I assume heavy tracked vehicles, ie, tanks, may be trucked out to the Camp.

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

Equipment is offloaded right on camp grayling property.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

~Z~ wrote: Camp is northeast of Grayling, and there's even a path labeled that goes from the loop track out to Camp Grayling that's called "Army Tank Trail"....gotta assume they use that trail to move the tanks.
Interesting that I see the tank trail is labeled "Lewiston Grade Trail" further to the NE. Hmmnn.. put the rail back in ?

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

Grayling is quite familiar with military convoys as are other towns along I-75 and US-127. When I was growing up in St. Louis, the out of state units would come up US-127 and overnight at the middle school parking lots across the street from our house. They would begin arriving at about 5:00 p.m. and be settled in around 8:00 p.m.. In the morning they would start departing around 5:00 a.m. and everyone would be gone by 7:30 a.m.. Hundreds of trucks carry troops, fuel, supplies, and a few artillery pieces would rumble by our house. It was like a big OD green circus rolling into town. It would happen once or twice every summer. It was a great time to have a lemon-aid stand in the front yard. :D