Railfanning in Belleville, MI

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
geeps
Railroadfan...fan

Railfanning in Belleville, MI

Unread post by geeps »

:D Hello all, I've lived in Belleville my whole life, been a railfan for some years now. Is their anybody out there who knows anything interesting about Belleville, or has some pictures? I thought it would be cool to learn more about Belleville. So if you have interesting stories, or anything please, share them with me.

GO TIGERS!!!

signmasters
Railroadfan...fan

Belleville

Unread post by signmasters »

Know nothing about Belleville other than Camper World is there and Red Roof Inn is there. We stay at Red Roof every year during the Allen Park Street Fair and The New Boston Apple Festival. When I have had time drove over to dearborn 94 exit #208 watched movement along Miller Rd, end up in Melvindale (once live there) and Rive Rouge. Work very long hours those weekends 4:30am - 9:00pm, this don't leave much time for anything. Belleville seems like a nice place and it's great to get away from the shows.
A great photographer can make a great photo out of any kind of light from any angle at any time, life is not a studio! There is no such thing as bad light.

Ramsey
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Railfanning in Belleville, MI

Unread post by Ramsey »

I went there yesterday, only for a little amount of time, and I saw 1 train in less than 10 minutes.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I don't know if the foundry still gets rail service or not. I think I saw a gondola on the spur lead a few years ago but haven't been by there recently.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

My former hometown as well! :D Still have family there, haven't been able to railfan much there in recent years though, as I usually only am in town for short visits or family events. The Wabash line seems to have quite a bit of traffic. My grandmother grew up on a sizeable farm in Belleville, and recently told me that her brothers had quite the egg business in the Depression years and would bring a wagon load to the Wabash depot to be shipped by train to markets in Detroit. The Depot is long gone, the lumberyard too, and the feed store is just a small building, IIRC there was spur to those businesses and the feed store had some type of grain elevator as well. AARR, your probably talking about the former Huron Valley Steel facility out by Haggerty Rd, I think there is still something active there but not sure about rail service. Quite a history in the Belleville area, it was an early Michigan settlement and something of a transportation crossroads.