This Year's North Pole Express at SRI

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
SteveTJ
Railroadfan...fan

This Year's North Pole Express at SRI

Unread post by SteveTJ »

Hey guys its been awhile since I posted on here but hope you are all enjoying this Independence Day. Its nice that we have some decent weather to enjoy it with. :) :)

Even though its barely July, I have a 4 year old son who continues to be enthralled with the Polar Express movie (yeah, it drives us crazy sometimes, lol) and I have been thinking about buying tickets to take him on the North Pole Express this year at SRI. I think he is old enough now to enjoy it but I wanted to ask a few of you who have ridden the train before buying tickets. Does anyone know how long the train ride normally lasts? Also, would you recommend the coach cars or would it be better to ride in the upper class cars? (whatever its called, I forget). Thanks for the help guys and happy railfanning this summer
My YouTube Videos
www.youtube.com/stevetj001

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Re: This Year's North Pole Express at SRI

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

The train started running to Ashley last year, after the track was taken out of service to the Saginaw County Fairgrounds. It takes about an hour and fifteen to an hour and twenty each way, plus the layover in Ashley at Santa's Workshop. While I have not personally rode the train, I would imagine that for this given trip, spending extra money on better seats would be a waste for most. Maybe someone else has insight on whether its worth buying the more expensive tickets?

soolinegp38
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by soolinegp38 »

I was on it a couple of years ago and I myself didn't mind sitting in the regular seats because it's such a short train ride, but they try to focus more on Santa's Workshop more than anything. But if you like to splurge you can rent a caboose for the ride
Look, Listen, Live. Always.

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

First off... The track to Saginaw County Fairgrounds was NOT taken out of service. The contract had ended between SRI and the SCF. Any attempt to go to the SCF again would have required more tie work for the PM 1225 to make the trip. The costs couldn't be justified and a new venue was found.

The train ride lasts to Ashley approximately just over an hour. You have approximately 2 hours in Ashley to enjoy the festivities and an hour ride back to SRI for a total trip time of approximately 4 hours. Track speed from Owosso to Ashley is 25mph the entire way (minus Owosso and Ashley Yard Limits: 10mph).
The higher class, Cocoa Class, offers unlimited hot chocolate and cookies and a take home souvenir hot chocolate mug. The standard coach class you get one cup of hot chocolate, one cookie and no mug if i'm remembering the details right.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

SteveTJ
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by SteveTJ »

Thanks guys for the info! Looking forward to heading up there later this year
My YouTube Videos
www.youtube.com/stevetj001