Chessie System Extended Vision Caboose in St. Clair

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Amtrakguy365
Railroadfan...fan

Chessie System Extended Vision Caboose in St. Clair

Unread post by Amtrakguy365 »

In CSX's St. Clair, Michigan yard, I keep seeing what appears to be a CS EV Caboose in the yard. (Sorry about the crappy grainy quality) Top Picture is looking towards the yard from Yankee Road. Bottom picture is looking from S Range Rd Image Image

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Re: Chessie System Extended Vision Caboose in St. Clair

Unread post by MagnumForce »

I think I see bigfoot

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Amtrakguy365 wrote: (Sorry about the crappy grainy quality)
Thanks for taking the time to put up pictures, I wish more people did. But I really can't make anything out. Looks like you are using one of those red plastic cameras that hang on a peg at the grocery store checkout lane. Try finding an old discarded cell phone will do much better.

Amtrakguy365
Railroadfan...fan

Pixl wrote:
Amtrakguy365 wrote: (Sorry about the crappy grainy quality)
Thanks for taking the time to put up pictures, I wish more people did. But I really can't make anything out. Looks like you are using one of those red plastic cameras that hang on a peg at the grocery store checkout lane. Try finding an old discarded cell phone will do much better.
Lol. Actually, I zoomed in with my iPad to take the pictures but since I can't upload pictures onto railfan.com off of an iPad, I took a picture of them with my Samsung SMX-F50BN camcorder then inserted the SD Card into my computer. If you see a yellowish object, that's probably the caboose.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Amtrakguy365 wrote: Actually I zoomed in with my iPad to take the pictures but since I can't upload pictures off of an iPad, I took a picture of them with my Samsung SMX-F50BN camcorder then inserted the SD Card into my computer.
In that case you might try a red plastic camera, they are only 10 bucks.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

mobile uploads are possible if you go to the photo gallery, I have uploaded from my iPhone before, but sometimes it is touchy. you could also have emailed the photo to a computer and did that. Digital zoom also doesn't help your case though
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Pixl wrote:
Amtrakguy365 wrote: Actually I zoomed in with my iPad to take the pictures but since I can't upload pictures off of an iPad, I took a picture of them with my Samsung SMX-F50BN camcorder then inserted the SD Card into my computer.
In that case you might try a red plastic camera, they are only 10 bucks.

And Amtrakguy365, you CAN upload pictures off an iPad. If you have a photobucket acct (or whatever other image hosting site), just upload the images from your iPad there and then you'll have a link to use here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Amtrakguy365
Railroadfan...fan

Okay. Thanks for the tips. I am new to railfan.com after all...

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Supposedly it's a shoving platform. Not sure where they use it, but it's been around for years.

I got a slightly better shot with my zoom lens several weeks ago from the EDA industrial park, but it's only slightly better. Unfortunately it's on my laptop, and I don't expect to be able to post from that for a couple days.

Nice to see another member from St. Clair County on this site. :D
~ Charles W.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Here's a slightly better photo of the 900054, taken way back in April (a bit farther back than I thought), at the St. Clair Yard.

ImageCSXT 900054

It does appear to be an Extended Vision caboose.

At one time there was a bay window caboose in the area too. I don't know if that one is still around or not, but if GP30M4216 is watching this thread, he may be able to verify if it's still here or if was sent elsewhere.
~ Charles W.

Amtrakguy365
Railroadfan...fan

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:Here's a slightly better photo of the 900054, taken way back in April (a bit farther back than I thought), at the St. Clair Yard.

ImageCSXT 900054

At one time there was a bay window caboose in the area too. I don't know if that one is still around or not, but if GP30M4216 is watching this thread, he may be able to verify if it's still here or if was sent elsewhere.
Nice Picture! And by slightly better, you mean, A LOT better. iPads aren't the best picture takers for something far away.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Amtrakguy365 wrote:
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:Here's a slightly better photo of the 900054, taken way back in April (a bit farther back than I thought), at the St. Clair Yard.

ImageCSXT 900054

Nice Picture! And by slightly better, you mean, A LOT better. iPads aren't the best picture takers for anything.
There, fixed it for you. ;)

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Amtrakguy365 wrote:iPads aren't the best picture takers for something far away.
And you still insist on using one.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

C&O6084
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O6084 »

Apparently CSX has done a caboose consolidation/renumbering.

DTIDave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DTIDave »

Amtrakguy365 wrote:Nice Picture! And by slightly better, you mean, A LOT better. iPads aren't the best picture takers for something far away.
No, that's why they make CAMERAS! :lol: (sorry, I'm old school!)

DTIDave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DTIDave »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:Nice to see another member from St. Clair County on this site. :D
Hey, what am I, chopped liver?! :shock: LOL

DTIDave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DTIDave »

Since the Paperweight2000 (my pet name for my ancient computer) took a dump, I'm looking to get a new one soon. Also looking to get something to scan my old photos a lot easier than the scanner/printer/copier/coffeemaker we have now, so I can share some of my old photos from the '90's. I think a lot of you guys would like to see the Chessie/Seaboard units, GP30Ms, slew of cabooses, and most of it up at the riverfront yard. One of my favorite shots had an engine (either Chessie or CSX, I can't remember) with a freighter in the background unloading at Winkworth Cement. Man, those days are LOOOOOONG GONE! (My apologies to Ernie Harwell!)

Wasn't CSXT 900054 lettered for C&O with the upside down ampersand? I could dig out my old photo albums to find out, but I'm too lazy at the moment! :mrgreen: It's looking pretty rough these days, but at least it's still painted for Chessie. Does anyone know when they reclassified them as "shoving platforms" if they took everything out of the inside, or did they just plate over the windows? Just curious...

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

DTIDave wrote:
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:Nice to see another member from St. Clair County on this site. :D
Hey, what am I, chopped liver?! :shock: LOL
Hi Dave!
I said another, not a second, third or... This site has so many more west siders than east siders that it's nice to see people from our area here. It's also nice to see there are more railfans in the area.
~ Charles W.