St Clair/Lapeer County Railfanning

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
x2humbucker
Railroadfan...fan

St Clair/Lapeer County Railfanning

Unread post by x2humbucker »

I am looking to make a day of railfanning around St Clair, Port Huron, Lapeer, and all points of interest around. First off, I'd like to catch the train switching out the paper mill under the Blue Water Bridge. When does that normally run? Also, I'm trying to catch the coal train from the PH yard that goes down to St Clair. Any tips on that one?

For the rest of the surrounding area, what is the activity like in those areas? Where are some good spots to get some good pictures? What time frame should I aim to be at those areas?

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: St Clair/Lapeer County Railfanning

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

x2humbucker wrote:I am looking to make a day of railfanning around St Clair, Port Huron, Lapeer, and all points of interest around. First off, I'd like to catch the train switching out the paper mill under the Blue Water Bridge. When does that normally run?
Good luck. It runs as needed, not on a regular schedule. I've seen it down under the bridge at just about all hours of the day. It seems like they run it when they have crews available. Best bet is to sit at Amtrak on 16th Street (if you can find a spot) and monitor the CN frequencies on your scanner.
Also, I'm trying to catch the coal train from the PH yard that goes down to St Clair. Any tips on that one?
The coal train usually comes across from Flint (CSX has trackage rights on CN) and heads right on down the line, mostly without stopping. The coal trains seem to move when CN hastened the extra capacity. Most of the coal trains I've seen have been in the late afternoon/early evening, although they can run at just about any time. Best bet seems to be to watch the Lower Michigan message board over on www.michiganrailroads.com. One of the posters there was posting when coal trains were heading for the St. Clair PPs. Otherwise your best bet is going to be luck and listening to the scanner.

You may be able to catch the yard job returning from the PH yard to the St. Clair yard, usually in the evening, just before dark. When the road train comes over from Flint in the evening, it will either run just before or just after the yard job.

Sorry, I know this isn't going to be much help, but the HR job (paper mill run) and the CSX coal trains don't seem to have a scheduled time they always run. They seem to be very much hit or miss. If you make it up this way, keep in mind the old power plant in Marysville is in the early stages of being torn down, and time to use it as a photo prop is fairly limited. Also, Enbridge* is replacing part of their underground pipeline in this part of the state and parts of Marysville, especially along the ex-PH&D may be difficult to access at times.
Last edited by GreatLakesRailfan on Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Charles W.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

I was in Port Huron last Monday (8-18) and the local left Dunn Paper at 12:30pm.

DTIDave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DTIDave »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:
the HR job (paper mill run) and the CSX coal trains don't seem to have a scheduled time they always run. They seem to be very much hit or miss.
Quite often when I'm up in PH during the early afternoon, I'll catch the paper run heading up there. I don't know if they have a certain schedule (every few days maybe?), but that's when I usually see them up there.
... Also, Enron is replacing part of their underground pipeline in this part of the state and parts of Marysville...
I think you mean "Enbridge", GLR. Enron was a bad, bad company! :lol: They've had things torn up near my house with that pipeline since last year. They've been doing ground work the last few weeks, like they're close to being done. I hope...

x2humbucker
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by x2humbucker »

Thanks for the info. I'm looking to head up there Friday afternoon so hopefully something interesting is working. Is the PH&D museum property on 32nd OK to get pics from?

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by firemedic54 »

I believe the Amtrak station in Lapeer is a good location. Also IIRC there's a park in Emmett where it's double track. Should be able to get some good views there as well.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Haha, thanks, Dave!
x2humbucker wrote:Thanks for the info. I'm looking to head up there Friday afternoon so hopefully something interesting is working. Is the PH&D museum property on 32nd OK to get pics from?
It is, until CN parks something on Track 3 or 4 and starts running trains on Tracks 1 and 2. If the tracks are clear, you should be able to watch trains working the east end of the (GTW) yard. There are some interesting photo angles as well, although you may need a ladder (or truck bed?) to combat the weeds between the PH&D RRHS property and CN's yard.

If you do go to the PH&D RRHS's property, remember the Society doesn't own the roundhouse. It's still CSX property and is used for materials (rail, ties, etc.) storage. It's a good photo prop, but in its present condition entering the building could be pretty risky.
~ Charles W.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

firemedic54 wrote:I believe the Amtrak station in Lapeer is a good location. Also IIRC there's a park in Emmett where it's double track. Should be able to get some good views there as well.
The (Emmett) park is on the north side of the track, and you'll have a pole line between you and the tracks. We've found a better place to sit is on the west side of the M19 crossing, just south of the tracks, in the hardware's "lot". The shot from the intersection is pretty good, especially from the west side if the road, if nobody's waiting at the crossing. Also, there's a fairly unobstructed view of westbounds about a mile west of town at the west end of the siding.
~ Charles W.