CSX SD40-3 in Port Huron, Michigan

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Amtrakguy365
Railroadfan...fan

CSX SD40-3 in Port Huron, Michigan

Unread post by Amtrakguy365 »

Last edited by Amtrakguy365 on Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: RARE CSX SD40-3 in Port Huron, Michigan!

Unread post by Saturnalia »

SD40-3s aren't really all that rare. They might be uncommon in some terminals, but we get them in GR and Lansing all the time. There are 50 of these units on the roster...

To compare:
20 SD70ACes
~80 SD60s all 3 types combined
26 GP15Ts
52 C40-9Ws
47 B40-8s/B20-8s

I'm not trying to burst your bubble...just being a realist, since SD40-3s aren't rare, per se. This isn't to say they're common though either. Only use "rare" when it really is something to behold ;)
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Amtrakguy365
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Amtrakguy365 »

MQT3001 wrote:SD40-3s aren't really all that rare. They might be uncommon in some terminals, but we get them in GR and Lansing all the time. There are 50 of these units on the roster...

To compare:
20 SD70ACes
26 GP15Ts
52 C40-9Ws
47 B40-8s/B20-8s

I'm not trying to burst your bubble...just being a realist, since SD40-3s aren't rare, per se. This isn't to say they're common though either. Only use "rare" when it really is something to behold ;)
Well it isn't real common to see a SD40-3 in the Port Huron area. Mainly we see GP38-2s.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Amtrakguy365 wrote:Well it isn't real common to see a SD40-3 in the Port Huron area. Mainly we see GP38-2s.
I understand, but you'll be better served to refrain from tossing out "rare" for something that really isn't. Save it, otherwise it becomes meaningless :wink:

*I know, I've called things rare before that really aren't. I speak from experience*

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Ummnn.. thanks for the nice picture.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Saw the 4039 and 8041 last weekend tied up at the PH&D.

DTIDave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DTIDave »

MQT3001 wrote:SD40-3s aren't really all that rare. They might be uncommon in some terminals, but we get them in GR and Lansing all the time. There are 50 of these units on the roster...

To compare:
20 SD70ACes
26 GP15Ts
52 C40-9Ws
47 B40-8s/B20-8s

I think Amtrakguy was trying to point out that it is a rare bird in PH. Those ex-C&O GP15Ts were the regular power on the PH&D for well over a decade. 1523 and 1524 were the "home units", though I have photos of virtually the entire GP15T roster along this line at one time or another. Those are rare as only a handful outside of those 25 built for the C&O were ever made. There are more SD40-3s of course, but they are not regular visitors to the PH area. Thanks for sharing, Amtrakguy. It's neat to see something different on the line. MQT3001: those SD60s are some of my favorites, too. they were usually in Seaboard System paint, but there were a few in CSX paint, too. Haven't seen those in MANY moons...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

DTIDave wrote:MQT3001: those SD60s are some of my favorites, too. they were usually in Seaboard System paint, but there were a few in CSX paint, too. Haven't seen those in MANY moons...
We've been getting SD50s and SD60s of all types in GR the last several months.

It is actually a little interesting why the SD40-3s haven't shown up in PH often, since 6-axle road power is common on the train (forget the symbol :?: ) over there. They seem to show up both leading over-the-road freights and the heavier locals, like D707 and D708, so I don't quite see why they haven't gotten to PH all that often. Maybe it is just chance?

DTIDave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DTIDave »

yeah, I'm not sure. Mostly I see the widenose GEs or SDs of some sort, but not the 40-3s. I correct my previous post though: they weren't SD60s I saw in PH all the time (especially in SBD paint), they were SD50s. Sorry, my mistake. It's late. I'm tired. I'm old. It's past my bedtime. :lol:

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Alex schooling someone else on something that is OMG RARE! The circle is now complete. LOL

Just razzing because it's funny. But yeah, not rare.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

MagnumForce wrote:Alex schooling someone else on something that is OMG RARE! The circle is now complete. LOL

You use what you learn and apply it. In this case I tried to be very polite, and informative on the subject.

For continuity's sake, here is what I deemed rare:

As seen in the thread here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28234#p285887

Now I don't condone the BS some members used in that thread to "convince" me that is wasn't all that rare (the polite, informative answers did their job), but I did need to be told it wasn't, I guess.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

I was rooting for you until you added the last quip. Take your medicine and move on.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

MQT3001 wrote:
MagnumForce wrote:Alex schooling someone else on something that is OMG RARE! The circle is now complete. LOL

You use what you learn and apply it. In this case I tried to be very polite, and informative on the subject.

For continuity's sake, here is what I deemed rare:

As seen in the thread here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28234#p285887

Now I don't condone the BS some members used in that thread to "convince" me that is wasn't all that rare (the polite, informative answers did their job), but I did need to be told it wasn't, I guess.
Why did you bring this up again?
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

MagnumForce
Angry Man

That thread surely puts him in a bad light. Everyone was being pretty respectful of him in that thread he just couldn't let it go and then he brings it up again.

Come on Alex, Seriously I am rooting for you. But man, you make it tough.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

MagnumForce wrote:That thread surely puts him in a bad light. Everyone was being pretty respectful of him in that thread he just couldn't let it go and then he brings it up again.

Yes, for the most part it is my ignorance and the corrections. However I don't appreciate the some of the mocking...what I'm trying to say through all of this is you shouldn't start personally attacking someone for railroad ignorance. It's a train after all. Sure keep trying to be persuasive, but going after someone just closes their mind...trust me on that

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

I'm not rooting for him.
Bottom text.

Typhoon
Rock you like a Hurricane

Unread post by Typhoon »

Y@ wrote:I'm not rooting for him.

Good to know.

He reminds me a lot of you when I first started on this board...

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Where was this mocking? Why do you always have to dig yourself into such a hole as you are doing again?

I just don't get it. No one brings any criticism upon themselves any harder than you do, it is as if you want it.

Take your medicine and leave it alone. There was no reason for you to leave anything in this thread aside from me giving you an "atta boy" and instead you turn it ever further into an "GLLX 3001 Saturnalia absolutely has to be right" party.
Last edited by MagnumForce on Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

MQT3001 wrote:
MagnumForce wrote:That thread surely puts him in a bad light. Everyone was being pretty respectful of him in that thread he just couldn't let it go and then he brings it up again.

Yes, for the most part it is my ignorance and the corrections. However I don't appreciate the some of the mocking...what I'm trying to say through all of this is you shouldn't start personally attacking someone for railroad ignorance. It's a train after all. Sure keep trying to be persuasive, but going after someone just closes their mind...trust me on that
Here's some constructive non-mocking advice Alex:
Ask questions and don't assume and learn. That way if you say something you won't come across as ignorant because you have heard the facts and know what you are talking about. And stop digging a hole for yourself by bringing up a time you were horribly wrong and made yourself look bad. Why would you want to go back to something where you were ridiculed. I don't get it.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Yes I stepped in it again... I was bringing that video to humor myself, but I should not have linked to the thread My mistake, and I thank you guys for not harpooning me. I'll go eat my humble pie...