Wixom Question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Wixom Question

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

I know this will lead to a lot of speculation however, I went to a Haunted House in Wixom this last weekend and saw that the crossing and tracks are still going into the old Ford Plant (now General RV and future Mendards). I know General RV will not use rail and neither will Menards. How long until they pull the crossing up that went into the old Wixom Plant. Also what is the traffic like going through Wixom now.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Wixom Question

Unread post by AARR »

Traffic through Wixom includes a mixed freight in each direction daily, coal and grain extras are common, and a local comes up from Plyumouth as needed.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

IIRC The City of Wixom owns that spur that goes to the former Wixom Plant. It is very, very unlikely the city will remove that track as it is one of the biggest reasons they are trying to draw industrial developments into the former Wixom Plant. One of the rumored businesses to develop there is a lumber distribution center which would very likely use rail.

In regards to trains through Wixom, you have:

Q321
Q322
D738
D737
Coal trains for Essexville and Marine City
Grain trains.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

Racer wrote:IIRC The City of Wixom owns that spur that goes to the former Wixom Plant. It is very, very unlikely the city will remove that track as it is one of the biggest reasons they are trying to draw industrial developments into the former Wixom Plant. One of the rumored businesses to develop there is a lumber distribution center which would very likely use rail.
That would be nice to see some new industry pop up in there, and see the old spur be used again. Hope the lumber distribution center rumor turns to be true.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Kind of unrelated, but does that toy factory that used to be served by Coe Rail have any transloading operations in the yard, or have stopped shipping by rail all together?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

atrainguy60 wrote:Kind of unrelated, but does that toy factory that used to be served by Coe Rail have any transloading operations in the yard, or have stopped shipping by rail all together?
Last I heard American Plastic Toys is getting their plastic pellets from Northern Logistics which has a large transload operation in Clare. There were well over 50 cars and maybe closer to 75 in Clare when I was last there in September.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

AARR wrote:
atrainguy60 wrote:Kind of unrelated, but does that toy factory that used to be served by Coe Rail have any transloading operations in the yard, or have stopped shipping by rail all together?
Last I heard American Plastic Toys is getting their plastic pellets from Northern Logistics which has a large transload operation in Clare. There were well over 50 cars and maybe closer to 75 in Clare when I was last there in September.
Ahh, so CSX no longer handles the business. Atleast it contributes to GLC's plastic business then; sounds like, altogether, they have some good business coming out of there!

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

atrainguy60 wrote:
AARR wrote:
Ahh, so CSX no longer handles the business. Atleast it contributes to GLC's plastic business then; sounds like, altogether, they have some good business coming out of there!
Still comes from the CSX via Ann Pere.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."