New Dearborn Station

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Re: New Dearborn Station

Unread post by PerRock »

j32885 wrote:Tour Dearborn's New Train Station, Beth Dalbey, December 4, 2014
http://patch.com/michigan/dearborn/tour ... -station-0
Kinda expected a photo/video tour of the station there... one picture of the facade isn't much of a tour.

peter

PS, yes I know you didn't write the headline.
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

New Dearborn (MI) station dedication is monday, Dec 15, 2014. On Monday, Dec 15, 2014 there will be a public open house from 4 p.m. tp 6 p.m. Included in this is a MITRAIN bi-level car that was spotted at Greenfield Village on Dec 12, 2014 around 10 a.m.
The new station was put in service on Dec 10, 2014.

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

I went there today it is a very nice and well done station. They have a nice waiting area and a good MiTrain display. The bridge over the tracks is nice but they have these dots on the widows that making it hard to look out and be able to focus, especially with a camera. Probably some stupid Homeland security thing to ruin our fun. They have not reconnected the wye track so I have no idea when the second platform will come into use. Also the new MiTrain map in the station no longer shows a station at the airport but instead they have some kind of connector line and the station will be in Inkster. Maybe it will be light rail but probably a bus. Of course that is if they can actually get that train running.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

That was always in my plan, bus connection from Metro airport to new station at the old County farm south of the MCRR south of Elose. There will not be a rail connection to airport...COST. Plan is to have bus leave airport when train leaves Ypsilanti so they would meet. Get off bus and right onto train, get off train, right on to bus. Use kneeling or low floor bus with bigger doors for people with luggage.

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by twropr »

Does the new station have a single platform serving just TK 1 (north track), an island platform or a platform on each side?
I take it the plaform is low level so that Superliners contine to be accommodated?
Is it a muli-modal center like the facilities in Battle Creek and Grand Rapids?
Andy

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

The new Dearborn, MI station as two platforms, one on each side of the two tracks however only track 1 is in service. If I knew how to post pictures on this site I would post a few.

iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iandt »

wagnew0923 wrote:The bridge over the tracks is nice but they have these dots on the widows that making it hard to look out and be able to focus, especially with a camera. Probably some stupid Homeland security thing to ruin our fun.
I visited the station yesterday during its open house hours, and I must say, I agree with the dots being an annoyance. The only place to take good pictures from the bridge is at either end, and there's no trains at either. However, that's really the only drawback I've found with the station. It is very well-done, and I can't wait for the day when I can see two Amtrak trains there side-by-side. A gentleman was there describing their plans to get the second track in operation, and continue a second track all the way to Wayne, though he did not say when these would be completed. The MiTrain coach was also very impressive, I haven't yet seen one, and they did a beautiful job cleaning them up. The maps inside were handy too. Despite the fact that the MiTrain project has an infinite timeline and may still fall through, seeing the coach there I think gave everyone who visited a sense of hope.

My two favorite parts of having visited the station: first, standing on the second platform right where a line of historic passenger cars and rusting Chessie System boxcars once sat (does anyone know what happened to these?), and second, waiting for a train on Thursday and realizing that the electronic voice that announces "now boarding" and "last call" is timed with the scheduled arrival for the train - so whenever Amtrak is late, the "last call" will sound before the train even gets there!

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

iandt wrote:
wagnew0923 wrote:The bridge over the tracks is nice but they have these dots on the widows that making it hard to look out and be able to focus, especially with a camera. Probably some stupid Homeland security thing to ruin our fun.
I visited the station yesterday during its open house hours, and I must say, I agree with the dots being an annoyance. The only place to take good pictures from the bridge is at either end, and there's no trains at either. However, that's really the only drawback I've found with the station. It is very well-done, and I can't wait for the day when I can see two Amtrak trains there side-by-side. A gentleman was there describing their plans to get the second track in operation, and continue a second track all the way to Wayne, though he did not say when these would be completed. The MiTrain coach was also very impressive, I haven't yet seen one, and they did a beautiful job cleaning them up. The maps inside were handy too. Despite the fact that the MiTrain project has an infinite timeline and may still fall through, seeing the coach there I think gave everyone who visited a sense of hope.

My two favorite parts of having visited the station: first, standing on the second platform right where a line of historic passenger cars and rusting Chessie System boxcars once sat (does anyone know what happened to these?), and second, waiting for a train on Thursday and realizing that the electronic voice that announces "now boarding" and "last call" is timed with the scheduled arrival for the train - so whenever Amtrak is late, the "last call" will sound before the train even gets there!
What do they plan on running down to Wayne? Is a Dearborn/Toledo train in the works?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

He's talking about re installing the double track from mort to wayne. That would give them double track basically from town line to Cp ypsi, about 25 miles. It could eliminate funny meets and allow a slight shave of time off the schedule. Not to mention rolling meets at speed on the Michigan line again. Amtrak is now committed to Pontiac, the bus makes more sense to run to toledo as it's cheaper and can go from Lansing to Ann arbor, dearborn, and detroit. We have taken it onice, it works well.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:He's talking about re installing the double track from mort to wayne. That would give them double track basically from town line to Cp ypsi, about 25 miles. It could eliminate funny meets and allow a slight shave of time off the schedule. Not to mention rolling meets at speed on the Michigan line again. Amtrak is now committed to Pontiac, the bus makes more sense to run to toledo as it's cheaper and can go from Lansing to Ann arbor, dearborn, and detroit. We have taken it onice, it works well.
When you say committed to Pontiac do you mean passenger service returning to Pontiac?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

The new roadbed has been laid down for the #2 main if you look closely, I can tell especially near Merriman and the 13W signal. Should start with track as soon as winter breaks it's grip I would gather.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

MQT1223 wrote:
YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:He's talking about re installing the double track from mort to wayne. That would give them double track basically from town line to Cp ypsi, about 25 miles. It could eliminate funny meets and allow a slight shave of time off the schedule. Not to mention rolling meets at speed on the Michigan line again. Amtrak is now committed to Pontiac, the bus makes more sense to run to toledo as it's cheaper and can go from Lansing to Ann arbor, dearborn, and detroit. We have taken it onice, it works well.
When you say committed to Pontiac do you mean passenger service returning to Pontiac?
.....Amtrak currently goes to Pontiac, just finished a brand new station their last year. They are committed to Pontiac because they have stations north from Detroit to Pontiac. Trains will not be going down to Toledo again as the bus does that job just fine.
TrainWatcher wrote:The new roadbed has been laid down for the #2 main if you look closely, I can tell especially near Merriman and the 13W signal. Should start with track as soon as winter breaks it's grip I would gather.
Winter hasn't even started to take its grip yet :lol: I would suspect work on actual track laying to start sooner then we think, but waiting until spring could also be an accurate assessment.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

PerRock wrote:
j32885 wrote:Tour Dearborn's New Train Station, Beth Dalbey, December 4, 2014
http://patch.com/michigan/dearborn/tour ... -station-0
Kinda expected a photo/video tour of the station there... one picture of the facade isn't much of a tour.
That's because it's a story about an upcoming tour the public can attend. (Which has now passed.)
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Does Trains Mag need photos Brian?

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Despite the black dots it was possible to shoot photos through the upper windows.. I just couldn't get my T3i to focus a second time :lol: the new station is sweet, the agents booth looks nicer, the parking lot is huge, and the waiting room is nice. The train info boards are really neat, along with the TV moniters with train numbers and times it's coming together.

Amtrak 353 from Above by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Was there today to catch B17 running to get the MiTrain car from greenfield village, the shelters have warming lamps in them and are sweeeeeet. They kept the benches warm and us warm as we waited form the to pass a couple times. The parking also is a lot better then It was and the current situation in Ann Arbor

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

If anyone's interested, I wrote a short "memorial" to the old Dearborn Amshack with my memories from going there growing up:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31181

iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iandt »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:Was there today to catch B17 running to get the MiTrain car from greenfield village, the shelters have warming lamps in them and are sweeeeeet. They kept the benches warm and us warm as we waited form the to pass a couple times. The parking also is a lot better then It was and the current situation in Ann Arbor
Glad they finally got it, it's been sitting there a while. And though I agree with you about the warming sheds (great when I got dropped off there one day at 5:30, before the waiting room opened, to catch 351), I do have one complaint about the parking lot, that it's hard to get back to downtown Dearborn from. Unless you leave from that one road next to Tim Horton's and do the turn around, you end up driving all the way down past Southfield to get back to Dearborn

Burb8145
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Burb8145 »

iandt wrote:
YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:Was there today to catch B17 running to get the MiTrain car from greenfield village, the shelters have warming lamps in them and are sweeeeeet. They kept the benches warm and us warm as we waited form the to pass a couple times. The parking also is a lot better then It was and the current situation in Ann Arbor
Glad they finally got it, it's been sitting there a while. And though I agree with you about the warming sheds (great when I got dropped off there one day at 5:30, before the waiting room opened, to catch 351), I do have one complaint about the parking lot, that it's hard to get back to downtown Dearborn from. Unless you leave from that one road next to Tim Horton's and do the turn around, you end up driving all the way down past Southfield to get back to Dearborn
There are actually two downtown areas in Dearborn. The other one is further up Michigan Avenue at Schaefer.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
-Red Green

iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iandt »

Burb8145 wrote:There are actually two downtown areas in Dearborn. The other one is further up Michigan Avenue at Schaefer.
That's very true, but growing up on the west side of Dearborn I tend to disregard that area. And, being an amateur historian, I still call that area Springwells anyway, haha... but speaking of that on a serious note, I welcome the new emphasis on west Dearborn by the City, embodied best by the new station. I only hope as many people as the city expects will visit Dearborn now with the convenience of the new station.