Railroad Job Shadowing

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Railroad Job Shadowing

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Bonjour, amis.

For some time now I have been interested in becoming an engineer or conductor for a railroad (in Michigan, that's why it's in the Michigan Forum :lol: ) and I had a few questions:

1) Is it even possible to do a job shadow to get an idea of what it's like? I doubt it because of security reasons, even if it was a Class III like the GDLK but I thought I'd check.
2) Who would be the best person to talk to for such a job?
3) Would it be better to start out on a shortline and then go to a bigger road or is it better to go straight into a Class I road?
4) Is it even a good idea?

Thanks for taking the time to answer in advance. I can use all the advice I can get, no matter who it comes from.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Railroad Job Shadowing

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I tried to do this in highschool for a project. Very difficult unless you know someone. Liability, safety and security turn most railroads off on an idea like this.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Instead of asking railfans on the internet for suggestions on if the railroad may or my not allow it why not call the railroads? They have numbers and contact information online with very little searching necessary.
I have known multiple railroads to allow shadowing.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Talk to one of the union offices. Find a local post of the BLE (Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers) They can set up something usually or know of programs.

If you go to one of the mass hiring events for a railroad they usually spend the first hour telling you about all the horrors of railroading and how you will never be home work every holiday in the rain and snow. How they have the highest divorce rate and what can happen to you if you are unfortunate enough to get into an accident. After that speech they will call a smoke break and half the applicants leave. I sat through about 4 of these speeches trying to get into NS back in the 90s but was never successful. But I am unsure if they still do that.

Does CSX still do the conductor training courses at colleges?
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

SousaKerry wrote:Talk to one of the union offices. Find a local post of the BLE (Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers) They can set up something usually or know of programs.

If you go to one of the mass hiring events for a railroad they usually spend the first hour telling you about all the horrors of railroading and how you will never be home work every holiday in the rain and snow. How they have the highest divorce rate and what can happen to you if you are unfortunate enough to get into an accident. After that speech they will call a smoke break and half the applicants leave. I sat through about 4 of these speeches trying to get into NS back in the 90s but was never successful. But I am unsure if they still do that.

Does CSX still do the conductor training courses at colleges?
All of CSX's training is done at their REDI Center in Atlanta, GA. But this isn't what the OP was asking, he's asking about job shadowing, not employment.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Not to get too far from the OP, the cattle call hiring sessions are a thing of the past on CSX. Now you have to apply, HR in Jacksonville pre-screens you, then the local manager in charge of the hiring reviews who Jacksonville selected, then picks people to interview from that.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Thank you for the help everyone. I do know someone on the inside. I met him at Comstock North Elementary where my dad used to work however I decided to pursue more official channels by emailing Grand Elk General Manager Chris Norman. This is what I have. It's still a draft and I wanted to get some opinions on it before I sent it off. I want to get this right the first time. Please read it:

Hello Mr. Norman,
My name is [name redacted for privacy, sorry]. I am in 10th Grade at Loy Norrix High School in Kalamazoo and for the past several years I've been interested in working as a conductor or engineer for a railroad. Grand Elk caught my attention because of its smaller size (being a shortline) and I was curious if there was an opportunity for me to shadow a train crew one day possibly during the summer to see what the job is like and if it is really where I want to direct my life and my career goals. I would greatly appreciate it if you could email me back at your earliest convenience.

Anything I should add/redact?

Thanks for the help, everyone.
Last edited by NSSD70ACe on Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

Usually not a good idea to be using names on a forum like such.....

59caddy
bag of holding

Unread post by 59caddy »

12Bridge wrote:Usually not a good idea to be using names on a forum like such.....
You redacted your name, why not the rest? :?

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

12Bridge wrote:Usually not a good idea to be using names on a forum like such.....
Are you saying that because of his age?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

Nope. Employee names... Just seems like a bad idea..

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

12Bridge wrote:Nope. Employee names... Just seems like a bad idea..
Agree on the employee names, but there's no reason you shouldn't be able to post your real name here (which I thought is what you were implying).
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Yeah I took care of that and took his name out too. I'll be more careful in the future.