Flint Questions

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Flint Questions

Unread post by jrgerber »

When I go across S Linden Road (towards Riders) there is a crossing that is paved over on one side there is a trail and the other side a siding. What gets served by the siding and where did the now trail go and what industries did it serve? When I get on I-69 towards Lansing on W Bristol exit I cross over one siding that appears active and is by a gold course. I also cross over another what looks to be a railroad where the rails have been torn up but it isn't a trail.

Any info would be appreciated.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Flint Questions

Unread post by Doktor No »

A DeLorme Map Book from your local Meijers or whatever is your friend here. Or stop by a county road commission offce or township office for a county map that covers your area. You'll assuredly find the answer to your questions.
Or stop by the Consumers Energy website and go to the power outage section. Nice state map comes up with most if not all railroad lines and many abandoned ones too. Lets you answer all your own questions.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

That's the old GTW main through Flint. There used to be a wye just east of the Bristol Road exit, but I believe CN removed one leg of it. The wye connected the old main to the new main. The old main would have run into downtown Flint. I'd search the site here for information on the Grand Trunk in Flint, or head over to the History board on michiganrailroads.com. There was a discussion of at least one of the old mains through Flint recently, but I can't recall which board it was on. You may be able to find more information on why the west end of the old main is still in place as well.
~ Charles W.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:That's the old GTW main through Flint. There used to be a wye just east of the Bristol Road exit, but I believe CN removed one leg of it. The wye connected the old main to the new main. The old main would have run into downtown Flint. I'd search the site here for information on the Grand Trunk in Flint, or head over to the History board on michiganrailroads.com. There was a discussion of at least one of the old mains through Flint recently, but I can't recall which board it was on. You may be able to find more information on why the west end of the old main is still in place as well.
I brought this line up on the History Q&A a few months back. The west leg of the Wye is removed and the tracks on the east leg are still in place to Linden Rd. Most I've ever seen on that line is for storage, but I believe an industry or two is still served. Its used enough for the only one or two crossings left on the line to remain signalized. Beyond that its all gone. The rails up to Ballenger Hwy were removed in the middle of the last decade. Included in this was almost half a dozen crossings (one of which had nearly brand new signal and another with 5 tracks), two bridges and an entire yard that had sat dormant. The rails beyond Ballenger Hwy had been gone for some time before that. For years a for sale sign with the GT logo stood near Ballenger Hwy by the Little Caesars.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

The lines last customer is General Motors SPO plant. I believe it's a daily run from the yard up to there to service and return.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.