1225 question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

1225 question

Unread post by MQT1223 »

So I have been thinking. The recent announcement of 1225 going north to Manton for the first time got me wondering. People ask constantly why 1225 can't go north and we know why. I want to know WHERE 1225's line is drawn. Manton is the first town north of Cadillac and the only town south of the Manistee River bridge. Is it that bridge that bars 1225 from going to places like Traverse City and Petoskey? Is it the bridge over 131 that bars 1225 from going north? Are the track conditions due to lack of traffic to blame? A pair of GP35s weighs nearly the same as the 1225 MINUS the tender, which is a very large difference. The 1225 has gone west of Cadillac to Yuma and back. Traverse City has a wye which is ideal for the 1225 or any steamer. Petoskey has some double track outside of town with a Wye located just north of the Manistee River so tender first operations would have to be used unless the GLC pulled it south to Cadillac. The tracks north of Cadillac has got to be some of the best in the state for an excursion with steam, whether you go to Traverse City or Petoskey. All of these towns have not seen any steam since the last PRR steamer. Exposing big steam to these small towns like Kalkaska and Mancelona I think is good for the towns and SRI. The PRR never ran anything that large that far north on the GR&I to the best of my knowledge, but I could be wrong. If it is one of those bridges, couldn't 1225 go solo across one and then the GLC push/pull the passenger cars across? This would be a very similar practice to what the D&RGW did at Lobato Trestle.

This procedure done for all double and tripleheaders has been done at the Lobato Trestle since the Rio Grande days due to weight restrictions, even after the fire a few years back. Go to 3:45 to witness the beginning of this procedure.

Last edited by MQT1223 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: 1225 question

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I'm going to guess it is MULTIPLE bridges/culverts that are at issue. Nothing that heavy ever was up there, so they built to suit.

Berks couldn't even go on the Ludington Sub west of Saginaw. They're not light, and big engines!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:I'm going to guess it is MULTIPLE bridges/culverts that are at issue. Nothing that heavy ever was up there, so they built to suit.

Berks couldn't even go on the Ludington Sub west of Saginaw. They're not light, and big engines!
I bet the AA folks never thought a berk would go up and down their mainline either... they probably thought that was crazy.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

If anything the distance from Owosso is why its mostly stays south of Clare.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Isn't there already a 1225 thread to post a 1225 question in? If not, I find that to be amazing.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Yes its the Manistee River bridge that limits where the PM 1225 can go north of Manton. 2 GP's may weight as much as the 1225 but the weight is spread out more than the concentrated weight of the berk.
Never gone west of Cadillac? Like towards Yuma? Ummmm Yes, yes it has.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

IIRC, it has been to Yuma at least twice.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

Please do more research before posting this stuff and look at maps. As Enad as Jochs said it has run to Yuma and their are many photos of it on seveal sites.

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Pere Marquette 1225 is ascending Boon Hill west of Cadillac Michigan witha Lake Central Tours excursion on former Ann Arbor rails.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

I was going to say, I took my family on the last 1225 trip to Yuma! Is was raining...
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Well judging by the photos 1225 hasn't been to Yuma in some time.

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Doesn't matter if it hasn't in a while... You stated and I quote "The 1225 has also never gone west of Cadillac either, even if it is a push/pull operation." MAybe if you'd research stuff before posting there wouldn't need to be a thread on what you're doing wrong. Just saying... In this world of Google and every other search engine YOU NEVER USE THEM!

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

BerkshireKid wrote:Doesn't matter if it hasn't in a while... You stated and I quote "The 1225 has also never gone west of Cadillac either, even if it is a push/pull operation." MAybe if you'd research stuff before posting there wouldn't need to be a thread on what you're doing wrong. Just saying... In this world of Google and every other search engine YOU NEVER USE THEM!
Was this post really necessary? I will edit the post tonight, then after that do me a favor and leave me alone.

Better yet I did the post for you now since its bugging you so badly. And quit trying to talk down on me. You think I'm proud of that thread now? Just leave me alone until you have kinder things to say to me. You don't know me so it gives you no right to yell at me.
Last edited by MQT1223 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT1223 wrote:
BerkshireKid wrote:Doesn't matter if it hasn't in a while... You stated and I quote "The 1225 has also never gone west of Cadillac either, even if it is a push/pull operation." MAybe if you'd research stuff before posting there wouldn't need to be a thread on what you're doing wrong. Just saying... In this world of Google and every other search engine YOU NEVER USE THEM!
Was this post really necessary? I will edit the post tonight, then after that do me a favor and leave me alone.
In the world of railroading, never say never. You'd be surprised what can, does,and has happened.

Practice Safe CSX

Evan
Durand's Gingerbread Kid

Unread post by Evan »

MQT1223 wrote:

Better yet I did the post for you now since its bugging you so badly. And quit trying to talk down on me. You think I'm proud of that thread now? Just leave me alone until you have kinder things to say to me. You don't know me so it gives you no right to yell at me.
Well...You asked a question w/o doing proper research first and posted it here... where anyone can give there opinion... Just saying. Don't get down and out over something like this, I used to be the same way (And still can be), however, before I ask anyone on any site, I do research, and if I find no "suitable" answer within reason of what I am looking for, then I ask.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Evan wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:

Well...You asked a question w/o doing proper research first and posted it here... where anyone can give there opinion... Just saying. Don't get down and out over something like this, I used to be the same way (And still can be), however, before I ask anyone on any site, I do research, and if I find no "suitable" answer within reason of what I am looking for, then I ask.
Well the way he said it makes him look like a hot head. I'm wrong so what, I'm human like everyone else.