Very rare INE train.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Marylee
Railroadfan...fan

Very rare INE train.

Unread post by Marylee »

IMG_3322.PNG
Very rare visitor in Jonesville today.
I haven't ever seen a six axle in town.
We do see the steam trains from Little River a few times a year, but this is the other extreme.
Behind Martinrea returning from Coldwater on the INE.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Re: Very rare INE train.

Unread post by trnwatcher »

I'm surprised the track would support this unit. Good catch anyhow!
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for posting the picture, Marylee. Looks like you caught it in front of the Omnisource spur.

INE uses 6 axle units to South Milford and I heard they were going to use them to Reading but I'm surprised they are north of Reading.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Marylee
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Marylee »

Doesn't really matter, but Omni-Source (ex-Midstar, ex-Jackson Iron & Metal) is south another quarter mile.
That is actually a short stub of the Fort Wayne & Jackson that will hold about 4-5 cars and they stick em there before taking them to Omni. Said stub is a favorite for MOW.

Storage is also popular on the Litchfield branch. However, I don't think there is anything there right now. That is a heavy built line that would love a six axle. Wright comes in under Mdot contract and sprays the weeds on the branch at least yearly with a large tank truck / sprayer that hi-rails. Sad, very nicely maintained branch.

Last summer the GM at the power plant said the tires are burning better than anticipated and the lesser amount of coal was likely to continue by truck. He spoke well of INE but suggested the problem was NS pricing.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Is the agreement with NS really good for the INE because I have wondered why the INE doesn't pick up additional power.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

This is the 1st time that I know of the 6 axle power going north of Reading, The post suggest this (6 axle) went to Coldwater ?
They're cars in storage in Litchfield and yes it would be better to coal traffic on the line. several years ago a run around track
was built on the Litchfield line... used very little. I don't believe the 6 axle went to Coldwater because of track conditions but
all things are possible. A good numbers of grain trains were on the line last week.

Marylee
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Marylee »

The reasoning for me assuming it was returning from Coldwater was the mix of cars. The typical newer tanks for Darling, the boxes for Panel Processing, a couple hoppers with Santa Fe markings that are usually perlite. The mix did not imply storage cars.

INE went back west (to Coldwater) the next day with three units and probably around 30-33 cars. Two INE painted units and the purple DOT unit.