Is Lansing worth railfanning?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Is Lansing worth railfanning?

Unread post by BamaSubdivision94 »

The way I see it, I'm not seeing much incentive to pay a visit to Lansing for train watching purposes. Nearly the same trains that pass through on CN can be seen at the much more accessible Durand, CSX traffic is very light, and NS traffic is lighter still. The best place to railfan to my knowledge is Trowbridge but is it legally accessible now? What other spots in Lansing are worth checking out? I hear that another spot is the west side of Ensel yard, is there a decent amount of yard activity that goes on there that helps to compensate somewhat for the minimal amount of through CSX trains? What are the best times to catch trains in Lansing? When does CSX typically send trains through?

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Re: Is Lansing worth railfanning?

Unread post by railohio »

NS no longer runs to Lansing. The Jackson & Lansing runs that line now.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Depending on the day you'll see D708 head east in the morning sometime after 8 and return west sometime in the mid to late afternoon. You might also see Q334 and Q335 during the daylight hours depending on what day it is. There's also the chance of a grain or stone train. If you sat at the Amtrak station you could probably see about 15 CN trains and 3 CSX trains during the daylight.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

You're probably better off with Durand. Not really more trains but the station makes passing time easier with its facilities.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

I have been going through a weight loss program at the Sparrow Bariatric center which is in the Michagan Athletic Center on Hagadorn Rd. I have about 4 appointments per week and hear several trains each time I am there. Unfortunately I can't see them and I do not have time to hang around as I have to get back to work. Last week I did get to see two trains one on the CSX and one on the CN within 10 minutes of each other. The CSX train appeared to be a local heading West around 1:30 PM
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

SD80MAC wrote:Depending on the day you'll see D708 head east in the morning sometime after 8 and return west sometime in the mid to late afternoon. You might also see Q334 and Q335 during the daylight hours depending on what day it is. There's also the chance of a grain or stone train. If you sat at the Amtrak station you could probably see about 15 CN trains and 3 CSX trains during the daylight.
The Amtrak station would be the ideal location since it sits between both main lines but it prohibits parking to anybody that isn't a passenger and even if we parked elsewhere and walked to the station, personnel would likely make us leave if we're just milling about the platform. With the new station allegedly going the paid parking route, it'll be even less accessible.

Now that I think about it, we could just bring some chairs and chill on the sidewalk next to the station. It's not as accommodating as Durand but it's something. Might try that one day.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I have parked at the Amtrak station for years without an issue. That could change when the new station opens, I guess. Otherwise, park at the Quality Dairy across the street, and walk over the crossing and sit on one of the benches on the platform. I've never heard of anyone getting kicked out, the station agent there is a railfan himself! Bring a scanner so you can walk over to the CSX when a train is approaching.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

MQT3001 wrote:You're probably better off with Durand. Not really more trains but the station makes passing time easier with its facilities.
At Durand, you're seeing the same CN trains that you would see in Lansing with a small bonus in the form of 3-4 CSX trains. I may as well continue to go no further than Durand since access to the tracks is easier thanks to the station.

In my previous post I came up with an idea of just bringing a chair and chilling on the sidewalk off of Amtrak property.

I'm guessing Trowbridge is off-limits, huh?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

BamaSubdivision94 wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:You're probably better off with Durand. Not really more trains but the station makes passing time easier with its facilities.
At Durand, you're seeing the same CN trains that you would see in Lansing with a small bonus in the form of 3-4 CSX trains. I may as well continue to go no further than Durand since access to the tracks is easier thanks to the station.

In my previous post I came up with an idea of just bringing a chair and chilling on the sidewalk off of Amtrak property.

What you lose in CSX you'll gain from HESR and GLC. Plus, many trains make multiple moves to switch the yard, so you'll get probably twice the number of movements in a day.

And, of course, the station puts you in the middle of the action with facilities for getting indoors, restroom, and plenty of places to sit. In Lansing you can't get at the diamonds and there is a lack of facilities.

I've never done Lansing, but I've spent a full day at Durand.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

¶aragraph
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ¶aragraph »

Trowbridge diamond north parking lot, STAY OUT.
Don't park at MSU apartments south of diamond either.
Park at lot on east side of Aurelius Rd near Red Cedar River.
Walk trail and sit in foamer chair near CN line.
Walk 1/4 mile north on trail to CSX when one is coming.
Interact with public on trail if you are able to.
If not, stay further away from people in the woods.

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by firemedic54 »

Plus Durand will be safer. Obviously crime can happen anywhere at anytime but a much less chance of any issues in Durand.

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

MQT3001 wrote:
BamaSubdivision94 wrote:

What you lose in CSX you'll gain from HESR and GLC. Plus, many trains make multiple moves to switch the yard, so you'll get probably twice the number of movements in a day.

And, of course, the station puts you in the middle of the action with facilities for getting indoors, restroom, and plenty of places to sit. In Lansing you can't get at the diamonds and there is a lack of facilities.

I've never done Lansing, but I've spent a full day at Durand.
Oh it's not like I've never been to Durand before. We head down there whenever we can, about once a month on average so I'm familiar with the operations there. Sorry if I came off that way. It's actually our visits to Durand that has inspired my question about Lansing.

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

SD80MAC wrote:I have parked at the Amtrak station for years without an issue. That could change when the new station opens, I guess. Otherwise, park at the Quality Dairy across the street, and walk over the crossing and sit on one of the benches on the platform. I've never heard of anyone getting kicked out, the station agent there is a railfan himself! Bring a scanner so you can walk over to the CSX when a train is approaching.
Really?? Well we may not have as many hoops to jump through then! Hopefully the new station doesn't implement paid parking otherwise we'll have to make a Plan B.

As for the station agent, that's awesome! What times does he work?

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

¶aragraph wrote:Trowbridge diamond north parking lot, STAY OUT.
Don't park at MSU apartments south of diamond either.
Park at lot on east side of Aurelius Rd near Red Cedar River.
Walk trail and sit in foamer chair near CN line.
Walk 1/4 mile north on trail to CSX when one is coming.
Interact with public on trail if you are able to.
If not, stay further away from people in the woods.
Shady things happen in the Lansing woods?

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

firemedic54 wrote:Plus Durand will be safer. Obviously crime can happen anywhere at anytime but a much less chance of any issues in Durand.
I live in Saginaw and the mom and I go to Flint to railfan CSX; we aren't strangers to railfanning in risky areas (Saginaw and Flint aren't that dangerous anyway). East Lansing is The Hamptons compared to those cities so safety is hardly a cause for concern there.

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

I have to be honest and say I haven't been over here in years, but there is (was?) a little known pedestrian bridge at the foot of Dankin Street that connects the neighborhood to the north with Potter Park that goes over the CN tracks. If it's not been removed or closed to access, I imagine you can get some good railfanning here.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/42%C2 ... !1s0x0:0x0

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

The way I see it, I'm not seeing much incentive to pay a visit to Lansing for train watching purposes
Have you even been there before?
Last edited by GTW6401 on Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

BamaSubdivision94 wrote:Really?? Well we may not have as many hoops to jump through then! Hopefully the new station doesn't implement paid parking otherwise we'll have to make a Plan B.
Plan B is a block away where plenty of free parking exists.

MiddleMI wrote:I have to be honest and say I haven't been over here in years, but there is (was?) a little known pedestrian bridge at the foot of Dankin Street that connects the neighborhood to the north with Potter Park that goes over the CN tracks. If it's not been removed or closed to access, I imagine you can get some good railfanning here.
That bridge has been closed to the public for more than a decade...maybe even two. But that won't stop an avid railfan from squeezing between the fence posts to sit on the bridge to watch trains go by. :twisted:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

Lansing was better when CP was using their CSX trackage rights. Many CN trains run late at night. Yes East Lansing Amtrak station is the safest place to watch both lines. Most Lansing railfans are friendly knowledgeable types.

Having said that since CP no longer runs on CSX many Lansing railfans hit Bryan OH, Waterloo, IN, Butler and a few now and then go to Durand.

Not sure what the impact of paid parking will be on railfanning activities.

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

GTW6401 wrote:
The way I see it, I'm not seeing much incentive to pay a visit to Lansing for train watching purposes
Have you even been there before?
We drove there in August or September of last year and intended to park at the Amtrak station but got discouraged when we saw a big sign that forbids parking to non-Amtrak customers.