YUMA Sand Closing

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

40+ cars there today!

Unread post by TC Man »

Last week during the week the place was locked up, gates padlocked and no cars except on the siding in Boon. Today the gate is open, at least 40 hoppers in the loading area and trucks in and out. Reopened to fill last orders?
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Re: YUMA Sand Closing

Unread post by Notch 8 »

New owners..

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Is this a question or a statement?
Notch 8 wrote:New owners..
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

J T wrote:
Notch 8 wrote:So really, cheap oil is not good for the economy... Crap I believe is getting ready to hit the Fan !
Cheap oil = cheap gas = more spending money in the pockets of consumers = good for the economy.
While yes that is true, and yes oil is a universal input for all manufacturing (so lower costs to business' that aren't likely to trickle down to consumers), it is bad for the domestic oil industry. Low prices shifts the supply curve back as producers of
Oil aren't willing to produce the quantity demanded at that price. Which in turn hurts businesses that supply input products for fracing (such as sand).
So In short, it's a complex beast where no matter what some lose and some win.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

J T wrote:
Notch 8 wrote:So really, cheap oil is not good for the economy... Crap I believe is getting ready to hit the Fan !
Cheap oil = cheap gas = more spending money in the pockets of consumers = good for the economy.
Cheap Oil might be good for Consumers but not necessarily for the Economy.. A) Increases deflation B) Reveals a weak global economy

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Notch 8 wrote:
J T wrote:
Cheap Oil might be good for Consumers but not necessarily for the Economy.. A) Increases deflation B) Reveals a weak global economy
Most fracking isn't profitable under current crude prices. Actually, little to no wells anywhere are making money right now. At some point somebody will go bust and the supply will drop to cut out the slack, unless demand rises out of nowhere.

In a perfect world, crude would probably be best around $70-80 a barrel. Above, but not too far above, production costs. That would put gas around a reliable $2.50 or so.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

Yuma Sand (Fairmount Minerals) will be closed permanently on September 15... Sad day indeed !

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

J T wrote:
^^^This^^^
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

But bad for rail fans

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

I noticed the foundry on the I&O has not been getting any of the GLC's old MKT or SOU hoppers recently

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Is this sand not any good for producing concrete? Seems like home building has been picking back up. Any other uses for sand that could keep this place open?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

MQT1223 wrote:Is this sand not any good for producing concrete? Seems like home building has been picking back up. Any other uses for sand that could keep this place open?
Sand for concrete is abundant most everywhere..

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

Did Yuma Sand actually close ?

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Notch 8 wrote:Did Yuma Sand actually close ?
Yes, it did. Went by there last week- no hopper cars there, no trucks, tractors, nothing. Though the line of about 30 former MKT cars are in the siding in Boon (about half way between Cadillac and Yuma) yet (for over a year now).

Also, the location has been removed from the Fairmount Santrol website.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.