Lapeer Railfanning

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GTWwatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Lapeer Railfanning

Unread post by GTWwatcher »

I was wondering if Lapeer was a good railfanning spot. Is it busier, as busy, or less busy than Durand? Also, how often can you catch the Lapeer Industrial Railroad?

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Lapeer Railfanning

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Less busy than Durand.

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

Since Lapeer is a through station, and Durand is a true junction (with a yard) definitely the latter wins this. In Durand you have the Holly sub joining the Flint sub via westward and eastward wyes. You also have the Great Lakes Central (former AA) passing through the diamond, and Huron & Eastern coming into town to work the yard and interchange. The HESR almost always has to use the wye in the NE quadrant (the Port Huron wye) to pull into town from Saginaw and reverse into the yard - doing the opposite to depart back north. With the two CN mainlines and two shortlines you have decent action in a nice, quiet rural town, away from the urban jungle.

In Lapeer you lose everything above but the E-W Flint sub operations, however you do gain the occasional CSX Flint-Port Huron runthrough and odd LIRR switching. The Lapeer Industrial runs only "as-needed" so I haven't caught their little GE centercab moving in a number of years. Still, for me Lapeer is only a short 15 minute drive north to watch mainline action whereas Durand is closer to an hour away. I could head south to Pontiac but I feel much safer in Lapeer; I've parked at the depot and carpool lot off M-24 at all hours, and have never been hassled by anyone. Of course, the same can be said for Durand too.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

GTWwatcher
Railroadfan...fan

I've been to Durand multiple times, but I heard on another site that Lapeer was busier. I didn't really believe it so that's why I asked. Thank you.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Someone told you Lapeer was busier than Durand? :lol: They were joking with you :wink:
GTWwatcher wrote:I've been to Durand multiple times, but I heard on another site that Lapeer was busier. I didn't really believe it so that's why I asked. Thank you.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTWwatcher
Railroadfan...fan

:D :D :D

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BamaSubdivision94 »

Even in its prime when the NYC Bay City Branch crossed the GTW, I don't think Lapeer stacks up to Durand.