Progress of the Michigan Line M/W (Part 3)

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Progress of the Michigan Line M/W (Part 3)

Unread post by iandt »

So, here are a few random updates from the eastern end of the Michigan Line, which has been quite busy this summer due to the rapid pace of construction. As usual, I apologize for the poor quality photos, as they were all taken on my poor quality phone.

Back in late June, I was riding Greenfield Village's Weiser Railroad when I spotted 3 Amtrak flats loaded with sections of track on the GFV spur, right outside the gates:

Shortly after, on the 4th of July, I paid a visit to the Dearborn station (which, by the way, is a great new place to watch the GFV firework show) and realized where all the track was from. Amtrak crews had been quite busy finally removing the old track from between the platforms. They probably have the rails in by now, I have not been back since then:

Early last week I stopped by the almost completed (new complete) Gulley St. crossing, where the crossing gates were already back in place:

I always wondered how they installed these concrete crossing pads, and it was cool seeing the crossing before it was paved. In the background of this picture is the Herzog ballast car that Amtrak has been using since Wayne:

Finally, today, I paid a visit to Monroe St., where work has just begun. Looking west, the tracks have been completed (minus ballast) up to Mason St., and are simply waiting on these crossings' construction to be connected:

Lastly, looking east toward the station, two new cantilever signals have been installed over Oakwood Blvd. This is the eastbound signal, the westbound signal can be seen in the background closer to the station. Don't know yet when these will go into operation, or if they will be named a new location to replace CP Mort. But, for now, they sure do look cool:

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Something's up in Kalamazoo. A lot of new (as in not there before) sets of rails, a front-end loader, and a manual switch machine are all sitting at the east end of Gearhart Yard. Not a clue what they are there for. Anyone have any ideas/information?

Thanks

EDIT: I just looked at the above photos of Dearborn. Are they MOW crews replacing ALL the ties, making them concrete? What's the plan here?
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iandt »

NSSD70ACe wrote: EDIT: I just looked at the above photos of Dearborn. Are they MOW crews replacing ALL the ties, making them concrete? What's the plan here?
At least with the active line, only the ties between the station platforms are concrete, the rest are all good ole' natural wood. Don't know why they chose to put concrete ties just in front of the station, probably to conform to some odd regulation.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

on't know why they chose to put concrete ties just in front of the station, probably to conform to some odd regulation.

Or the fact that they have a longer projected lifespan then wood and to replace them in a station you have to pull the rail or the platforms.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

The rusty rail conditions on main one between Wayne and Ypsi have been removed. Trains will run right handed when making meets for the most part, and I assume will take two all the way down if no meet to be made.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

Quick question for anyone who has read documents on what exactly is being built as part of the West Detroit Connection Track:

West Detroit Connection Track by NewCityOne, on Flickr

I'm very clear on what's being built at the actual junction, but does anyone know exactly where the "pocket siding" is being built in between the Detroit New Center Amtrak station and the Beaubien Interlocking, like which streets the siding will be between? I imagine since this is a pocket siding and since this is largely being done to benefit Amtrak, that we're talking about a pocket siding on the existing double-track Shore Line. But, where is the room for it along these relatively short blocks unless we're talking the building of another bridge? It's only two blocks between the station on Woodward and the crossing of the Shore Line Subdivision and North Yard Branch at Brush.

iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iandt »

A few more updates from this passed weekend at the eastern most end of the new track, which has been quite busy with work trucks for the past month. First pic shows the new crossovers just west of the station (there is a pair here, look in the distance):

Looking east toward the station with the new WB cantilever signal installed, still dark:

Grading yet to be done in the WB main suggests it is not yet in service through the station:

The only portion of this area untouched by the construction work:

Looking east passed the station, the future EB main still jogs to the right to meet up with the old CP Mort:

Turning to the right and looking over the GFV fence reveals that their former storage spur has finally been reinstalled (it was ripped up to the point where the new ballast starts when the station was built). Note the former NYC MOW car parked nearby, a real beauty:

Finally, following the spur back to the station platform and a lonely truck allows a view of the GFV maintenance shed which has been obscured by trees up until this point:

BDG
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BDG »

Fencing was installed recently in Galesburg. Apparently the many No Trespassing signs weren't enough.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Signs mean nothing to people who cross tracks on footpaths that aren't approved crossings....

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

There's a portion of a new switch on the ground a few hundred feet west of the depot in Ypsilanti, trailing point for a westward move. My first thought was maybe they were extending the double track to just past the depot, but it looks too short of a switch or that. Maybe moving the turnout into the "yard" closer to the depot?

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

So with these upgrades are the tracks rated at 110 mph or does that come later. Also I have noticed an increase in Friegh traffic especially small steel coil trains coming from the Steell plant in Wayne. Will this continue?

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

Ben Higdon wrote:There's a portion of a new switch on the ground a few hundred feet west of the depot in Ypsilanti, trailing point for a westward move. My first thought was maybe they were extending the double track to just past the depot, but it looks too short of a switch or that. Maybe moving the turnout into the "yard" closer to the depot?
I suspect that they are going to replace the existing switch just west of the yard. They have been slowly ripping out the yard since spring.
I asked an Amtrak man about the Ypsi Yard a while ago. He respoded by saying that he has no clue what the track department is doing in ypsi yard.
AS far as double track past Ypsi is concerned, I have heard that they would like to get Ypsi-Chelsea Back to 2 tracks. Motivation is the hope that MI train eventually gets off the ground, and that most of the meets on the east end (350-353, 355-352, Freights-354) Happen normally between Ypsi and Lake. However i UNderstand it is on the veeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrry Bottom of a long list.
Last edited by ConrailMan5 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

wagnew0923 wrote:So with these upgrades are the tracks rated at 110 mph or does that come later. Also I have noticed an increase in Friegh traffic especially small steel coil trains coming from the Steell plant in Wayne. Will this continue?
You need cab signals to go more than 79MPH IIRC. So 110 comes when ITCS gets cut over, and even then only in places where 110 is feasable. For instance, Ypsi-MH37 I cannot see ever getting up to 110. Too many curves (The one in depot town, Ypsilanti is supposed to be the tightest on the line).

Swami says ask later on the Steel Traffic. :lol:
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

110 (or maximum speed after upgrade) will come when ITCS and track work is all done and in place.

iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iandt »

Ypsi wrote:110 (or maximum speed after upgrade) will come when ITCS and track work is all done and in place.
Will 110mph ever be allowed between Wayne and Dearborn with so many crossings? Disregarding the fact that at 110 mph a train has to start slowing down pretty early to stop at Dearborn.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

iandt wrote:
Ypsi wrote:110 (or maximum speed after upgrade) will come when ITCS and track work is all done and in place.
Will 110mph ever be allowed between Wayne and Dearborn with so many crossings? Disregarding the fact that at 110 mph a train has to start slowing down pretty early to stop at Dearborn.
In theory I can see it up to Dearborn. But I am no expert. You can always put up fences. But then again, it is only what 8 miles Wayne-mort. Not really practical. I think the impact of the improvements on the east end will
Help with velocity not speed (there is a difference).
As far as I can see it, 110 is attainable Chelsea-town line only between CP Ypsi and MH21.
But I am no expert.
-Kurt Vonnegut

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

You are most likely going to see 110mph between CP Ypsi and CP Wayne, and I would guess 79-90mph in the city between CP Wayne and CP Mort (or CP Townline depending on if CP Mort is just eliminated by the double track). Knowing the line and how the curves are, and what the current maximum speeds are, CRman is probably pretty close, not really much chance to get up to 110mph between CP Ypsi and CP Miller in Jackson. Only one spot really stands out to me and it would be Chelsea, as there are some decent length tangents in that area. My best guess for seeing speeds upped above 79mph after the signaling is in would be spots where 79mph was the previous maximum speed. Two places where that was the case was between CP Ypsi and CP Wayne and east of the Wayne Diamond, and then between CP Lake and CP Chelsea (there are probably more, I will dig out the old speed limits later today). You most likely not see higher speeds on portions where speed limits were lower, like on the curves through Ypsilanti where the maximum speed is about 55mph because of curves and other variables. The final factor is that you will not get 110 over the diamond at Wayne, they may be able to get 79 with an upgrade, but current maximum speed is 55-60mph IIRC (and there is most likely still at 30mph restriction over the diamond).

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

iandt wrote:Will 110mph ever be allowed between Wayne and Dearborn with so many crossings?
Can a Wolverine consist accelerate from 0 to 110 mph in eight miles? :?

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Standard Railfan wrote:
iandt wrote:Will 110mph ever be allowed between Wayne and Dearborn with so many crossings?
Can a Wolverine consist accelerate from 0 to 110 mph in eight miles? :?
That is really the issue here. East end doesn't have long enough tangents or gentle curves to support 110.
Between Ypsi-town line there are 3 crossovers (Wiard, new Sheldon, mort) plus the diamond at Wayne. If you were just going straight through without stopping at Dearborn, I could see 110 being feasible without the diamond at Wayne. With the diamond I can see maybe 79-90 with a 50 MPH over the diamond at Wayne.
-Kurt Vonnegut

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

The switch is most likely parts for a new CP Ypsi switch. Possibably a higher speed turnout but I can't tell by just looking at it. This would not be the first time they have staged something a decent distance away from where it belongs. There is not much space for track panels at CP Ypsi which would be my guess for why it's in ypsi yard.