2 Mile Train at Durand

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GTWwatcher
Railroadfan...fan

2 Mile Train at Durand

Unread post by GTWwatcher »

Yesterday I was railfanning in Durand and witnessed a 2 mile long train, according to my scanner, being led by two BNSF units. I'm assuming this is rare. Has anyone else seen this long of a train before?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: 2 Mile Train at Durand

Unread post by Saturnalia »

GTWwatcher wrote:Yesterday I was railfanning in Durand and witnessed a 2 mile long train, according to my scanner, being led by two BNSF units. I'm assuming this is rare. Has anyone else seen this long of a train before?
Not on CN!

CSX has run some 227-car, 13-14K foot trains this year as well.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by firemedic54 »

Maybe they're putting 2 trains together to get caught up after the derailment in Durand put them a little behind? IDK just a thought...do they even do anything like that??

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

I've seen empty coal trains be combined into one and be 200+ cars.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

CN's "land barges" are notoriously long. The limiting factor on Flint Sub train lengths seems to be siding length, although the siding at Emmett (first siding west of Port Huron) is at least 2 miles long. I think the other most often used sidings are of similar length.
~ Charles W.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:CN's "land barges" are notoriously long. The limiting factor on Flint Sub train lengths seems to be siding length, although the siding at Emmett (first siding west of Port Huron) is at least 2 miles long. I think the other most often used sidings are of similar length.
On the Transcon, there are regularly 12000 plus feet of train land barges that do not make the sidings. The trick for the RTC in toronto is to meet duck all the shorties in the hole well in advance of a land barge. So having short sidings isn't the most debilitating factor as long as every train isnt more than most of the sidings.
In short, yes I have seen a 2 mile train. I saw many many 2 mile trains while in canada this last summer.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

jkh2cpu
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jkh2cpu »

I was there. He took 120 empty coal cars and 78 others to make
198 cars. 8800 tons, and about 10,800 feet or so. Two BNSF locos
9901 and 9268. He made two passes over the High Wye... first the
120 coal cars, which were left on the main (2), and the second to
take cars out of four tracks in the yard. Heh! He got there at 12:30
and left around 16:30.

John.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

I saw 149 at Matteson Illinois. He was 216 units long and was conversing with Markham. He said he was 14.500ft long. That would have been the longest Flint Sub train I ever saw. This was back on Labor Day Weekend this year.

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

12,000' trains are common from what I've seen on the Flint Sub. At least west of Lansing. I've even heard trains give their mark up leaving Cory Yard at over 13k'. I've also heard axle counts over a thousand on rare occasion most likely due to detours. My youtube channel has a number of these trains on there that just seem to go on forever. I would venture a guess there's 4-8 of these long trains across the line everyday. My information may be slightly outdated since a lot of my CN railfanning over the last year has been done via scanner and when I can drive by the tracks at work.