CN train w/ passenger cars

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
ThreeRiversChris
Railroadfan...fan

CN train w/ passenger cars

Unread post by ThreeRiversChris »

I was told by someone who got stopped by it as it went through Cassopolis about 5:40 this evening headed east, the first 5 cars of this train were passenger cars while the rest was mostly containers. Are these cars being transported somewhere, for something?

GTW6401
how bout no

Re: CN train w/ passenger cars

Unread post by GTW6401 »

CN Santa train is running this weekend. Those passengers cars usually are transported by Q116 into Battle Creek.

ThreeRiversChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ThreeRiversChris »

It was through Cassopolis at 5:40

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

A train just passed by the 206 eb with four units on the head end and about a half dozen passenger cars ahead of auto racks. 22:15

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

"Were they being transported somewhere for something?"
The definitive answer would be, "YES, YES THEY ARE."
The definitive question should be, "Why are they being transported eastward at 5:40 PM?" (or 17:40 CN time)
And thats your English composition class for today.
Return to your normal activities.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

I thought CN was using the retro Maple Leaf scheme (green/gold) on their cars now. Last years train was mostly (all?) repainted cars. The 5 noted may not be for the Santa train, especially if there's some sort of officer special running, or if the cars are being sent somewhere else. The Santa train cars seem to come out of Homewood the day before the train runs, often with the assigned power for the weekend, and gets set off in Battle Creek. I don't know where 206 is, but if it's east of BC, that's not the Santa Train.
~ Charles W.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:I thought CN was using the retro Maple Leaf scheme (green/gold) on their cars now. Last years train was mostly (all?) repainted cars. The 5 noted may not be for the Santa train, especially if there's some sort of officer special running, or if the cars are being sent somewhere else. The Santa train cars seem to come out of Homewood the day before the train runs, often with the assigned power for the weekend, and gets set off in Battle Creek. I don't know where 206 is, but if it's east of BC, that's not the Santa Train.
It was the Santa Train, which I saw in Flint this morning. IC 3129 and GTW 4902 are the engines.

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

206.3 is the Potterville DD

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

GTW6401 wrote:
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:I thought CN was using the retro Maple Leaf scheme (green/gold) on their cars now. Last years train was mostly (all?) repainted cars. The 5 noted may not be for the Santa train, especially if there's some sort of officer special running, or if the cars are being sent somewhere else. The Santa train cars seem to come out of Homewood the day before the train runs, often with the assigned power for the weekend, and gets set off in Battle Creek. I don't know where 206 is, but if it's east of BC, that's not the Santa Train.
It was the Santa Train, which I saw in Flint this morning. IC 3129 and GTW 4902 are the engines.
Cool! Nice to hear they'll be using a Grand Trunk engine too. Last year it was a pair of IC engines between Port Huron and Flat Rock.
~ Charles W.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Both units are CN painted, with IC and GTW reporting marks under the numbers.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

I'm on 364 at the moment in Flint - the Santa train was held on the Throughfare at the CP Flint x-over for us. Homewood told him he'll follow us east out of town on Main 2 once he gets the signal. First time in "God knows when" you can see a " following passenger (section)" on the old GTW MAIN!
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.