GLC to Middelton

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

GLC to Middelton

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Curious as to what days GLC runs out to Middleton or if there is even a schedule. I hope its not on an as-needed basis, I'd love to chase on that line sometime.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GLC to Middelton

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

If they are running to Middleton, it is likely on a Friday.

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

Considering the line to Middleton is just grain, it's on an As Needed basis pretty much.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Could SRI run a diesel excursion on it or is it stub ended? Never been on it didn't know if there were any passing sidings or what the mileage was? Probably stored cars in the way?

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

There are stored cars on the tracks in Middleton, but if they ran over the Sweetline they could do a run around if the track still holds. I think a diesel excursion down there would be cool.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

MQT1223 wrote:There are stored cars on the tracks in Middleton, but if they ran over the Sweetline they could do a run around if the track still holds. I think a diesel excursion down there would be cool.
Sweetline can only handle motor cars at this point. The Middleton branch sees grain trains as needed. Most of the line was in rough shape last time I saw it. IIRC it is all 10 mph track and would make for a pretty boring excursion, if it was in good enough shape for a passenger train to begin with. Wouldn't surprise me if some of it was excepted track.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Stored cars in Middleton? Interesting since that's an active line and active shipper at the end.
SRI could not operate an excursion on the line due to it being FRA 'Excepted" track. No occupied passenger movements can be made over "excepted" track.
As for the Sweetline... Only thing that's ran over that line in at least the last 15 years is/was speeders. That line would need lots and lots of money to bring it up to any type of standards that would even resemble class 1 track.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Someone probably mistook Middleton for Oakley. Oakley is used for car storage (beyond the elevators).
BerkshireKid wrote:Stored cars in Middleton? Interesting since that's an active line and active shipper at the end.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I did not mistake Oakley for Middelton. The google maps image that was recorded at the time over Middelton showed cars blocking the Sweetline, unless that is the "interchange" between the Sweetline and the GLC.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

There isn't interchange between GLC and SweetLine. There hasn't been a revenue train on SweetLine since 1987. The only thing that runs on the SweetLine are speeders.

It's possible GLC is storing something at the end of their track, maybe even extending onto the SweetLine. Maybe some extra sand covered hoppers which they have an access of these days. Maybe they push grain cars out there until needed for loading at the elevator in town.
MQT1223 wrote:I did not mistake Oakley for Middelton. The google maps image that was recorded at the time over Middelton showed cars blocking the Sweetline, unless that is the "interchange" between the Sweetline and the GLC.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

AARR wrote:There isn't interchange between GLC and SweetLine. There hasn't been a revenue train on SweetLine since 1987. The only thing that runs on the SweetLine are speeders.

It's possible GLC is storing something at the end of their track, maybe even extending onto the SweetLine. Maybe some extra sand covered hoppers which they have an access of these days. Maybe they push grain cars out there until needed for loading at the elevator in town.
MQT1223 wrote:I did not mistake Oakley for Middelton. The google maps image that was recorded at the time over Middelton showed cars blocking the Sweetline, unless that is the "interchange" between the Sweetline and the GLC.
I think they might be storing cars. I put the word "interchange" in quotes because there is no interchange. I just used that in reference to where the ownership changes.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

So whats the status of the line beyond Middleton railbanked, ownership etc? Who does the speeder group deal with to schedule a run?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I believe someone owns it and ever tried to find freight customers for it. He was posting at another site but hasn't in a few years. So I don't know what the current status is.
Super Chief wrote:So whats the status of the line beyond Middleton railbanked, ownership etc? Who does the speeder group deal with to schedule a run?

railroader and son
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroader and son »

There is no car storage in Middleton,GLC leaves the empties of unit grain trains at the end of the line for MAC crew's to grab when there loading trains. Nothing runs onto the Sweet Line from Middleton,other then the occasional motorcars from Carson City. Dennis Kellogg owns the Sweet Line,he also owned the old grain elevator in Carson City which is currently being torn down. He has left the rail in place to Carson in hope's that some day a industry would locate to the City and use rail. It will take Millions to ever get a train to run down those tracks again. Not sure who runs the motorcar group that leases it,they do brush cut and spray the tracks east from Carson to Middleton for there runs. Hope my information helps answer a few questions.