BO Tower Countdown

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Re: BO Tower Countdown

Unread post by Todd Cline »

I don't recall Pontius ever having a GTO. He had lots of old neat cars though. When I first met him he was driving a 1969 Cadillac ElDorado. He also had at the time, an old Ford Econoline flat nose van, a Ford pickup, and those were just the vehicles that he had registered to be on the road. He had a big lot full of old classics that he didn't drive. There was the '69 T-Bird, the '70 Ranger, the ??Jaguar, the '69 Travco motor home, the '66 ford galaxie ( my cousin Bob eventually got that one and hot-rodded it, a '64 plymouth savoy, with push-button tranny, and his pride and joy, a chopped 1929 Ford model A with a 392 hemi motor. I never saw that one run... It had been stored in a shed one winter, and the snow caved in the roof was the story I was told. He also had a 1953, and a 1952 ford sedan, later he had a couple of vans. I'm sure there were several other cars that I have neglected to mention, but Bill was a car guy! Kind of like Jay Leno, but without the unlimited budget. That picture of the old Pennsylvania tower that has shown up on several sites shows Bill on the steps, watching a train go by. If you look close, and if you know your cars, just the front fender is visable, you will see his favorite car of all.. His customized 1957 Ford Fairlane.

Todd

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

I gotta' say... I really liked the old Turbo! Sure, the old E-units and roach-coaches were nostalgic, but a ride on the Turbo was fantastic. Huge, clear glass windows allowed good viewing, the "Turbo Cafe" left MUCH to be desired, but on a 3-hour trip to Chicago, why not wait and have lunch in the windy city? I remember the smell of the Turbo the most... Smelled like the entire neighborhood was lighting up their charcoal grills all at the same time! And the horn! Beautiful sounding Nathan P-5-A... Much better than the current K-5LA racket we hear nowadays.

Todd

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Ypsi wrote:JT and his turbo pic :lol: posted any time anywhere, even if not relevant to the thread :wink:
Hey now, Bob posted a pic of a turbo, and it was Bob's first post. Thus, I'm guessing Bob has never my turbo pic, so I had to share it. :D :D :D
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

The Conrail BO lettering is back on the tower.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:The Conrail BO lettering is back on the tower.
That's funny. Maybe they realized there was no station sign for the timetable location after they took the signs off the tower.

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

Any word yet on when they plan to demolish BO Tower?

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Still there ... but old towers look awful with all of their windows boarded over. I drove through Kzoo last night for my first time actually being there to see a railroad. I went to WMU a few decades back but did not pay attention to the trains way back when.

I have seen some of my questions answered ... Amtrak taking over NS' job of controlling the interlocking. The new track and signal layout looks good. Progress!

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Rumor has it that BO will be transported to Dearborn on a flatcar. GTW can probably elaborate more on the specifics. Maybe the Elk was practicing last nite when it held up the Amtrak.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Super Chief wrote:Rumor has it that BO will be transported to Dearborn on a flatcar. GTW can probably elaborate more on the specifics. Maybe the Elk was practicing last nite when it held up the Amtrak.

I remember hearing the Amtrak DS and the train chatter last night, DS could get a hold of "Grand Elk 700" while they were working the yard. However, I'm not sure if it was that train or another that held up 354 because 700 was waiting on a signal indication into "Botsford" and then called out that they were passing Cork street not too long after.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

since there are power cross-overs at CP-143 and it's 262 territory east of there, shouldn't be any reason for the golden moose to hold up the Amtraks'....shouldn't is the key word here....