Radio Comms

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
lunchbox
Railroadfan...fan

Radio Comms

Unread post by lunchbox »

Many public safety radio systems are switching to digital systems, do the railroads have any plans of switching to digital radio systems?

rob
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob »

Yes it's in the works. All the new engine radio i come a crossed have a button ladled A/D. I tried the button but it does nothing, must be for future use.

Rob

AveryRdhouse
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AveryRdhouse »

Ya. And big brother will track you down when your screwing around on the radio. Look out for da Geshtopo. Vee know who you are.
Bill

chessiefan1980
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chessiefan1980 »

how does this bode for us railfans who have scanners that are analog? I have a RadioShack PRO-97 Handheld scanner. Will we have to get all new digital scanners?

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

chessiefan1980 wrote:how does this bode for us railfans who have scanners that are analog? I have a RadioShack PRO-97 Handheld scanner. Will we have to get all new digital scanners?
Unless you can find an old digital scanner, capable of handling things like trunking and all that...probably.

lunchbox
Railroadfan...fan

I am not sure if any old digital scaner would do, I belive there are several different type of formats or protocals. I would think we would have to know which system the railroads are going to be using before one could purchase a digital scanner. For example here in MI the state uses a statewide digital system, for all state agencies. They have made the system available to any local government that wishes to us use this system, and many are doing so. In order to monitor this digital system one needs a scanner capable of listening to APCO 25 (I belive) not all digital scanners can do this. I

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

They have made the system available to any local government that wishes to us use this system, and many are doing so.
I'm assuming you're talking about the 800mhz system. Switching to it requires a significant expense. For my agency, it requires about 125 radios at $3000 each and an annual license fee per radio. This compares to our current VHF system with $400 radios (all currently paid for) and no annual fee. We're not switching anytime soon. Law enforcement has to buy two radios, a mobile for the vehicle & a handheld for the office when he leaves the car. GRPD & KCSD aren't changing anytime soon either. The 800 system has some coverage issues as well.

lunchbox
Railroadfan...fan

Not to get to far off subject here, but I had heard that KCSD, GRFD, GRPD, and others in Kent county were planning on switching as part of the new Kent County Central Dispatch, which is supposed to be in the works. If this is not the case it may well save me some money for now.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

They'll switch to 800 w/ central Dispatch only if there's a free money tree. Most agencies are on VHF, GR has some UHF.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

This was touched on a little on the Railfanning INFO board. The current band will be narrowed to 6.25kHz increasing the number of avalable channels in the AAR band. Most railroads have upgraded to newer radios to handle this change when it happens. The FCC document FCC07-39 ( March 2007 ) sheds some light on the subject.

lunchbox
Railroadfan...fan

this being the case, as long as radio systems remain analog, our current scaners should be fine. Is that what I am hearing?